TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
macjeepster

A simple handy feature TiVo should add

Every so often I discover a new TV series.
Sometimes it's only new to me, so I start watching episodes from several seasons. Among the most recent were "Kitchen Nightmares" and "Renovation Realities."

The problem is, after hop-scotching over shows from several seasons, it's hard to keep track of which episodes I've seen and which I haven't.
The show descriptions are little help (this is the "kitchen Nightmares" where the restaurant's serving bad food, or this is the "Renovation Realities" where the couple run into problems and don't finish their project on time).

I suppose I could keep a notebook listing the episodes I recorded and watched, and then check it before recording a new episode, but the TiVo could do this for me.
It would be a slick handy feature in my opinion.

-mj
macjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjeepster View Post
Every so often I discover a new TV series.
Sometimes it's only new to me, so I start watching episodes from several seasons. Among the most recent were "Kitchen Nightmares" and "Renovation Realities."

The problem is, after hop-scotching over shows from several seasons, it's hard to keep track of which episodes I've seen and which I haven't.
The show descriptions are little help (this is the "kitchen Nightmares" where the restaurant's serving bad food, or this is the "Renovation Realities" where the couple run into problems and don't finish their project on time).

I suppose I could keep a notebook listing the episodes I recorded and watched, and then check it before recording a new episode, but the TiVo could do this for me.

-mj
Yeah, make it an extention of the Season Pass option where you are probably telling it to record both new and repeat episodes. I would think that the "To Do" scheduling SW could peruse your recording list and not duplicate anything that's there if that episode is repeated multiple times.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
macjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
... and not duplicate anything that's there if that episode is repeated multiple times.
Right. The trick is it can't just compare it to the just the recorded shows that are still on the TiVo. It needs to keep track of the the shows I recorded, watched and deleted last week, last month, six months ago.

I find I keep recording the same episodes, then only know I've already seen them when I go to watch them. Surely, TiVo can help me with this.

-mj
Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
While it's not TiVo, there is a nice iOS app called TV Show Tracker that can help you keep track of episodes.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
macjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
While it's not TiVo, there is a nice iOS app called TV Show Tracker that can help you keep track of episodes.
Thanks Steve, That looks like a great app. It appears it will do what I want. I'm getting it now. It would be far more convenient if something like it were integrated into the TiVo software or at least into the excellent TiVo iPad app.
-mj
Old 07-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
I use Notes on my iPhone, usually one per show.. but sometimes a few shows are grouped into one (more often PBS shows or something I see less frequently). Basically, my absolute favorite shows, I don't keep track of, since I'm 99.999% sure that I'm already seeing them.

That iOS app doesn't look like it's as extensive as I want.. but I'm glad others have had the same idea.

I'd pay a one time fee for this capability on a Tivo (even though I have lifetime subscriptions). It would have to have a bit of 'extra' user input ability, because of the fault of the networks/cable signals.. i.e. simply deleting a show wouldn't automatically add it to the "I've seen" list, though that would be the default.. You would need to be able to delete a show but NOT add it (e.g. last minute preemption), or not add it if the last 5 minutes was missing or something (I'm a stickler, I want to see the WHOLE show, that's why I want a lot more tuners so I can add padding to EVERYTHING).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Yeah, make it an extention of the Season Pass option where you are probably telling it to record both new and repeat episodes. I would think that the "To Do" scheduling SW could peruse your recording list and not duplicate anything that's there if that episode is repeated multiple times.
It already works that way. If an episode has been recorded or scheduled to record within the last 28 days, it won't be automatically recorded unless the SP is set for "ALL(with duplicates) even if you have deleted it from the NPL. That is the primary purpose of the recording history. What the OP wants is for the TiVo to keep track of every episode of every show (or at least selected shows) that you have ever recorded.

Count me as a vote against TiVo allocating any resources to develop this.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
macjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It already works that way. If an episode has been recorded or scheduled to record within the last 28 days, it won't be automatically recorded unless the SP is set for "ALL(with duplicates) even if you have deleted it from the NPL. That is the primary purpose of the recording history. What the OP wants is for the TiVo to keep track of every episode of every show (or at least selected shows) that you have ever recorded.
I'm sorry, James, you're mistaken. I'm not talking about SP recording. I rarely use SP for shows that are in their 5th or 6th season and often appear as marathons or multiple shows in a row several times throughout the day. For those types of shows, I use the "Upcoming Episodes" feature and select the showings myself (usually in non-primetime).
A "Delete and Remember" button would be handy for managing this type of recordings.

Am I alone? Do most people use SPs for a majority of their recordings? Should I switch? I always worry that if I'm not vigilant, the TiVo will choose to record things that appear over and over (cable) and miss things that air only once (broadcast).

But you raise an interesting question:
Why does the TiVo throw away the recording history after 28 days? What makes 28 days better than 14, 90 or 365? Wouldn't that be a good user-configurable setting?
Surely the problem can't be disk space. I bet 5 years of recording history wouldn't use as much space as two minutes of FD video.

- mj
Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm sorry, James, you're mistaken. I'm not talking about SP recording. I rarely use SP for shows that are in their 5th or 6th season and often appear as marathons or multiple shows in a row several times throughout the day. For those types of shows, I use the "Upcoming Episodes" feature and select the showings myself (usually in non-primetime).
A "Delete and Remember" button would be handy for managing this type of recordings.
So when you explicitly tell the TiVo to record something, you want it to check to see if you've ever recorded it previously and give you the option to not record it again? I'm pretty sure you are unique.

Quote:
Am I alone? Do most people use SPs for a majority of their recordings? Should I switch?
Yes, I would say that most, if not all, other TiVo users use SPs for this.

Quote:
I always worry that if I'm not vigilant, the TiVo will choose to record things that appear over and over (cable) and miss things that air only once (broadcast).
That's what the season pass manager is for. You make things that air only once a higher priority than things that air multiple times.

Quote:
Why does the TiVo throw away the recording history after 28 days? What makes 28 days better than 14, 90 or 365? Wouldn't that be a good user-configurable setting?
Surely the problem can't be disk space. I bet 5 years of recording history wouldn't use as much space as two minutes of FD video.

- mj
You forget that TiVos have been around since 20GB was a large hard drive. Plus the more historical data you have to search, the longer the scheduler has to run.

Assuming that "FD" is a typo, it is an interesting one since the "F" key is exactly halfway between the "S" and "H" keys. At least on a standard "QWERTY" keyboard.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
So when you explicitly tell the TiVo to record something, you want it to check to see if you've ever recorded it previously and give you the option to not record it again? I'm pretty sure you are unique.
You are incorrect. There are lots of us that would love to have some sort of capability like this. I will agree that it's not something I want a lot of resources thrown at. But the concept is interesting.

Here's what I do, I run into this more often than one would think (lookin' at you, lpwcomp): I decide I want to start watching a series. Because I have an Elite with lots of room, I usually set it to record every episode. If I'm really lucky and/or timed it right, I can actually start the SP with S1E1 (WL for "Pilot" can find 'em). I then end up with every eps in perfect order. When I'm ready to start watching, I just start at the end and go. I'm doing this with Breaking Bad now (on 44/46), and have done it in the past with a number of shows I regret missing from the start (2.5Men, BBT, AD, FF, etc). Sometimes I only do a season at a time--I did this with West Wing, 24 and Veronica Mars.

I will print an eps list from epguides to make sure I have them all. But then I'm kinda anal in my TV viewing...

If the TiVo would track it, so much the better!

PS: Just realized, I'm doing this now for Hustle. I stopped watching when Bricks left the show, but now he's back and I'm recording all of them. Think I'm up to 27 or 28. When I get them all, I'll watch in order and if it's one I've watched, delete it. Sure could use a TiVo app for that!

I would also love this for shows where the OAD is all screwed up. I quit watching Flashpoint because the OAD is Canadian, not US. Between me & my TiVo, we had no idea what we had seen, and my FRO SP became useless. Yet syndication had me recording so many, I just gave up and killed the SP. Another use for this app/feature.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You are incorrect. There are lots of us that would love to have some sort of capability like this. I will agree that it's not something I want a lot of resources thrown at. But the concept is interesting.

Here's what I do, I run into this more often than one would think (lookin' at you, lpwcomp): I decide I want to start watching a series. Because I have an Elite with lots of room, I usually set it to record every episode. If I'm really lucky and/or timed it right, I can actually start the SP with S1E1 (WL for "Pilot" can find 'em). I then end up with every eps in perfect order. When I'm ready to start watching, I just start at the end and go. I'm doing this with Breaking Bad now (on 44/46), and have done it in the past with a number of shows I regret missing from the start (2.5Men, BBT, AD, FF, etc). Sometimes I only do a season at a time--I did this with West Wing, 24 and Veronica Mars.

I will print an eps list from epguides to make sure I have them all. But then I'm kinda anal in my TV viewing...

If the TiVo would track it, so much the better!

PS: Just realized, I'm doing this now for Hustle. I stopped watching when Bricks left the show, but now he's back and I'm recording all of them. Think I'm up to 27 or 28. When I get them all, I'll watch in order and if it's one I've watched, delete it. Sure could use a TiVo app for that!

I would also love this for shows where the OAD is all screwed up. I quit watching Flashpoint because the OAD is Canadian, not US. Between me & my TiVo, we had no idea what we had seen, and my FRO SP became useless. Yet syndication had me recording so many, I just gave up and killed the SP. Another use for this app/feature.
Sorry, you are wrong about my being incorrect. I was specifically talking about his method of individually recording episodes, not just the desire to extend the history. He wants the "extended history" checked when he explicitly records a showing, not just when the scheduler is processing a Season Pass. He doesn't use Season Passes.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
innocentfreak

I use Trakt.TV for this since TiVo doesn't incorporate it.

Hopefully if TiVo ever rolls out their SDK someone could write a Trakt plugin like they have for Media Center and XBMC that automatically flags episodes as you watch them.

Of course this won't help with the ability to have TiVo only record unwatched episodes since there is no option for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I use Trakt.TV for this since TiVo doesn't incorporate it.

Hopefully if TiVo ever rolls out their SDK someone could write a Trakt plugin like they have for Media Center and XBMC that automatically flags episodes as you watch them.

Of course this won't help with the ability to have TiVo only record unwatched episodes since there is no option for that.
Actually, if you were to use a PC for recording management, including SPs, all of this should be doable now with the current API - on Premieres. Plus you could do co-operative scheduling, multi-channel SPs and clear QAM scheduling. Of course, you could also have your never ending history.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Sorry, you are wrong about my being incorrect. I was specifically talking about his method of individually recording episodes, not just the desire to extend the history. He wants the "extended history" checked when he explicitly records a showing, not just when the scheduler is processing a Season Pass. He doesn't use Season Passes.
I want it when individually recording episodes too..

So that I can go through View Upcoming and it would say something like:
You already saw this episode

or if you cared for THIS info (I don't care for this much detail)
Someone in your house marked this episode as watched on Monday July 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM
(similar to what it does in recording history for shows it won't record in the future).
Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #15
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I want it when individually recording episodes too..

So that I can go through View Upcoming and it would say something like:
You already saw this episode

or if you cared for THIS info (I don't care for this much detail)
Someone in your house marked this episode as watched on Monday July 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM
(similar to what it does in recording history for shows it won't record in the future).
My apologies, although I assume you actually do use SPs. And I repeat that this feature is of marginal utility and would require far more effort than it is worth.

As I've said about some of the other "simple" feature requests, simple to describe does not equate to simple to implement.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:

Am I alone? Do most people use SPs for a majority of their recordings? Should I switch? I always worry that if I'm not vigilant, the TiVo will choose to record things that appear over and over (cable) and miss things that air only once (broadcast).

- mj
You have a point to an extent. A Season Pass(SP) does sometimes record things over and over again, even when set to first run only. I'm seeing that right now with the Big Bang Theory reruns on Fox and TBS. The way I get around that is I prioritize my SPs in the SP list by emphasizing shows that air multiple times throughout the day so that they don't bump shows that air only once a week or day.

I would like it if you could list shows by original air date or episode number within a group, or record a particular episode of a show by episode number. For instance, if I decide I want to start watching "The Walking Dead" I'd like to set a SP on it and list the episodes by number in the group the TiVo creates and perhaps notify me when a recording season is complete.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You are at the mercy of the quality of the guide data. Some channels, and TBS is a notable culprit, screw up the series and show identifiers or send wrong first-air dates. TiVo can't help you with that.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
waynomo
My One Time

What I have suggested to TiVo in the past is to be able when deleting something to have the option to never record it again.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
You have a point to an extent. A Season Pass(SP) does sometimes record things over and over again, even when set to first run only. I'm seeing that right now with the Big Bang Theory reruns on Fox and TBS. The way I get around that is I prioritize my SPs in the SP list by emphasizing shows that air multiple times throughout the day so that they don't bump shows that air only once a week or day.
Why do you have FRO SPs for "The Big Bang Theory" on Fox and TBS? It is a CBS show. No first run episodes of it on either of those channels. As a matter of fact, it isn't actually on Fox at all. Your local Fox affiliate may be showing it, but it isn't the network. Based on what I'm seeing in the guide (full data and nothing flagged as "NEW"), an FRO SP shouldn't record any episodes.

Quote:
I would like it if you could list shows by original air date or episode number within a group, or record a particular episode of a show by episode number. For instance, if I decide I want to start watching "The Walking Dead" I'd like to set a SP on it and list the episodes by number in the group the TiVo creates and perhaps notify me when a recording season is complete.
You can always set up an auto-record wishlist entry for each episode you want to record.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

I've done this kind of thing once or twice over the years. Not often but just often enough that a feature like macjeepster requested (but for season passes) would have been appreciated.

For that matter for shows that run reruns out of order, or where I've missed an episode and grabbed a rerun weeks later, I've occasionally wished for a sort option of "by original air date".
Assuming the guide data was good* that would order the episodes in series order (minus any missing episodes)

*And ignoring oddball situations like Firefly where the episodes were aired badly out of order
Old 07-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Why do you have FRO SPs for "The Big Bang Theory" on Fox and TBS? It is a CBS show. No first run episodes of it on either of those channels. As a matter of fact, it isn't actually on Fox at all. Your local Fox affiliate may be showing it, but it isn't the network. Based on what I'm seeing in the guide (full data and nothing flagged as "NEW"), an FRO SP shouldn't record any episodes.

You can always set up an auto-record wishlist entry for each episode you want to record.
The goal at the time was to catch up my wife on old episodes. I originally set the FRO SP on TBS, but noticed that suggestions from FOX were showing up in the list, so I added another SP without really thinking about it. After a while I noticed dups showing up on both channels so I restricted it to FRO, yet I was still getting every airing. Checking the guide data showed that all eps were listed as first run on both channels, even for reruns on the same channel.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
lpwcomp

Quote:
The goal at the time was to catch up my wife on old episodes. I originally set the FRO SP on TBS, but noticed that suggestions from FOX were showing up in the list, so I added another SP without really thinking about it. After a while I noticed dups showing up on both channels so I restricted it to FRO, yet I was still getting every airing. Checking the guide data showed that all eps were listed as first run on both channels, even for reruns on the same channel.
Looking at the zap2it listings for TWC in your area, I see absolutely no reason for this to be happening. All of the episodes of "The Big Bang Theory" have complete guide data on both channels.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #23
mattack

Quote:
My apologies, although I assume you actually do use SPs. And I repeat that this feature is of marginal utility and would require far more effort than it is worth.
It would be VERY SIMPLE. I work in software.

It is of GREAT UTILITY. Just because you don't think it's useful, doesn't mean most people wouldn't think it's useful. Much of the infrastructure (keeping track of what it has recorded) is already there, but of course currently that is thrown out on a 28 day sliding window.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #24
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
It would be VERY SIMPLE. I work in software.

It is of GREAT UTILITY. Just because you don't think it's useful, doesn't mean most people wouldn't think it's useful. Much of the infrastructure (keeping track of what it has recorded) is already there, but of course currently that is thrown out on a 28 day sliding window.
I've been a s/w developer for almost 40 years, including 17 as an O/S analyst. It's not as "simple" as you make it out. The history would have to be extended by two orders of magnitude, it would have to be a configurable option, you'd have to make sure they're aren't any unintended consequences, etc. Even it is

I suppose whether or not it is of "GREAT UTILITY" is a matter of opinion, as is the percentage of users who would use it.

For other reasons, I've been giving some thought recently to developing a PC based Premiere scheduler. I will add the to my list of possible features. Of course, this presupposes that I actually get around to developing it. Feel free to DIY.

One last thing - no matter how much you extend the history, it won't help in the situation where there is no individual episode information.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
What I have suggested to TiVo in the past is to be able when deleting something to have the option to never record it again.
Would love this feature. I sometimes set up ARWL for people or directors, and then over time, as it records movies I don't want, I go back and start adding -(xxx) to the WL. PITA. Your idea would completely solve this.

Bottom line: We're for the most part advanced users, and want features 90% of users wouldn't use or understand.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #26
macjeepster

I want to thank everyone for offering opinions on what could be a handy addition to the TiVo software. If I said something to anger James lpwcomp, I apologize. But I do wonder what Steve Jobs would have said if a programmer would have told him the following:
Quote:
I've been a s/w developer for almost 40 years, including 17 as an O/S analyst. It's not as "simple" as you make it out. The history would have to be extended by two orders of magnitude, it would have to be a configurable option, you'd have to make sure they're aren't any unintended consequences, etc....
I also want to better explain a couple of things that this gentleman got wrong about me:
For the record, I do use season passes, and I do rank them in order of priority. But I only use them for must-see new episodes; I manually fill in with other shows myself. I usually want episodes that are new to me from shows that have been on many seasons.
I would be nervous about what I'd get if I only used SPs and let the TiVo handle everything.
Quote:
You forget that TiVos have been around since 20GB was a large hard drive. Plus the more historical data you have to search, the longer the scheduler has to run.
I haven't forgotten anything. My first Mac hard drive was 20MB and cost $715. My first Series 1 TiVo, a Sony, I believe had a 30GB hard drive. I don't understand how this is relevant to the value of a new feature today that's well within the capability of modern equipment and skilled programmers.
I also don't understand why the amount of time the scheduler has to run is a big problem. I think most people keep their TiVo on all the time; it might as well be doing something.
-mj

Last edited by macjeepster : 07-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
tomm1079

I personally would love for tivo to add a per folder option of View by original air date or view by Series/Epsoide
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #28
lpwcomp

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for offering opinions on what could be a handy addition to the TiVo software. If I said something to anger James lpwcomp, I apologize. But I do wonder what Steve Jobs would have said if a programmer would have told him the following:
There are a lot of times when it would have been a good thing if someone had told Steve Ballmer something similar and he had actually listened. BTW, no anger on my part.

Quote:
I also want to better explain a couple of things that this gentleman got wrong about me:
For the record, I do use season passes, and I do rank them in order of priority. But I only use them for must-see new episodes; I manually fill in with other shows myself. I usually want episodes that are new to me from shows that have been on many season.
I would be nervous about what I'd get if I only used SPs and let the TiVo handle everything.
My apologies. For some reason, I read "rarely" and my brain stored "never".

Quote:
I haven't forgotten anything. My first Mac hard drive was 20MB and cost $715. My first Series 1 TiVo, a Sony, I believe had a 30MB hard drive. I don't understand how this is relevant to the value of a new feature today that's well within the capability of modern equipment and skilled programmers.
The 28 day rule was established when disk space was at a premium. And based on recent experience, I'm not sure I would call the current TiVo s/w development team "skilled" although it may be more a case of pressure from management to "get something out the door". Personally, I wish they'd make the TiVo s/w more fault tolerant. A disk error while recording or playing back shouldn't cause a system crash.

Quote:
I also don't understand why the amount of time the scheduler has to run is a big problem. I think most people keep their TiVo on all the time; it might as well be doing something.
-mj
I might agree with you if scheduling was always done in the background. It isn't. Since you do use SPs and the SP manager, when you reorganize them, surely you have noticed that there is a noticeable and annoying delay when exiting.

As for your specific situation, might I suggest creating ARWL entries for the episodes you want to record. Fairly easy if a bit tiresome when using the HDUI. More difficult with the SDUI. But I would think it is better than having to check "Upcoming" every week or so and scheduling the episodes you want.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #29
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
I personally would love for tivo to add a per folder option of View by original air date or view by Series/Epsoide
I too would like to see more sort options. Even a simple choice of ascending or descending would be nice.

The lack of the ability to sort on OAD is why I have modified my personal version of pyTivoMetaThis to add the "time" entry to the metadata. And to set the T part of both the OAD and time to 23:00:00. And one of the reasons I prefer "Pull" to "Push".

The current Premiere s/w doesn't even seem to have an option for sort order within a group. Always descending by record time.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Couldn't Tivo make it so I can skip 2 minutes 30 seconds with one button press to equal most commercials?
I know that I can set it up to skip 30 seconds a press, but then I have to do that manually five times, and that also takes away my 15 minute skip feature.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote