TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #31
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
The product is a final hardware product. You are only testing the software.
Nothing is ever final until it is final.

A good example of this is the OLED S3 platform that when released the hardware was considered production ready. It was also well documented that you could move to a single M-card when the cable companies finally deployed them. Well, as we know, when the m-cards finaly arrived they would not work on the hardware. Ooops! You had to upgrade to an HD model if you wanted to avoid the second cable card charge from your cable company.

Will this hardware you are purchasing be rock solid with no hickups or issues? Maybe, maybe not. That is the risk you are taking....

If there is a hardware issue identified during beta - Ceton will make adjustments before going into full production mode and the future customers will thank you for finding the glitches for them. You on the otherhand are stuck with whatever work arounds can be implemented. Not unlike having to lease 2 s-cards as opposed to a single m-card for the remainder of the units life.

If you guys are really getting a highly discounted rate - then maybe it is worth the risk. I am not sure what the deal looks like.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #32
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
If you guys are really getting a highly discounted rate - then maybe it is worth the risk. I am not sure what the deal looks like.
Nobody knows what the deal looks like yet. This entire discussion is pure speculation.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
innocentfreak

From the email update they just sent out, they had 1000 beta slots for the Echo and had more applicants than slots.

The Echo has a MSRP of $179.99.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #34
tootal2

Im not a echo beta tester. a lot of people are complaining about the 179$ price. I would like to buy one for my bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
From the email update they just sent out, they had 1000 beta slots for the Echo and had more applicants than slots.

The Echo has a MSRP of $179.99.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #35
aaronwt
HD Addict

That sounds like a decent price for a low power extender.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #36
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
Im not a echo beta tester. a lot of people are complaining about the 179$ price. I would like to buy one for my bedroom
I have only seen two people complain and it sounds like they thought it was going to be $99 which Ceton never said. They just said they were aiming for less than a 360.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #37
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I was not picked for the beta

I was expecting a $199 price so $179 seems good. The price will surely come down especially on sale.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #38
Enrique

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was picked. I'm hoping to get picked for the Q also which would help a lot with my set up.
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #39
mr.unnatural

I got picked and confirmed my commitment to join the Beta testing program in September. Some people have been griping about the $179 cost to join the program, but we get to play with the box for months before the rest of the public and the standard warranty period doesn't begin until it's available commercially. We'll also be getting the final software update when it goes public.

I've got an X-Box 360 that was purchased for use as an extender but found it to be too noisy, too hot, and had inadequate codec support for many popular video formats. The Ceton Echo will hopefully provide better support for additional formats and will definitely run cooler and quieter based on earlier reports. We never used the X-Box for gaming so that's a non-issue.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
GatorBlues

Is there any more informaiton available regarding when the Q and Echo will be available at retail, or regarding the price of the Q?
GatorBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #41
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
Is there any more informaiton available regarding when the Q and Echo will be available at retail, or regarding the price of the Q?
Echo is due by the holidays, and there will be news on the Q in September.

http://cetoncorp.com/blog/its-been-a-busy-6-months/

Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
buscuitboy

In the world of technology, this "due" date means we'll probably see it most likely sometime in the spring or summer of 2013. Remember, I said it here first :-)
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #43
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
In the world of technology, this "due" date means we'll probably see it most likely sometime in the spring or summer of 2013. Remember, I said it here first :-)
The beta test is finished hardware. They are just testing the software.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #44
cram501

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Nothing is ever final until it is final.
A good example of this is the OLED S3 platform that when released the hardware was considered production ready. It was also well documented that you could move to a single M-card when the cable companies finally deployed them. Well, as we know, when the m-cards finaly arrived they would not work on the hardware. Ooops! You had to upgrade to an HD model if you wanted to avoid the second cable card charge from your cable company.
I have one of the original S3's. I am pretty sure it was Tivo that didn't want to make software changes for an end of life product and not the hardware. Although with the early slots maybe it was a pita.
cram501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #45
shwru980r

I think echo also has a browser, which makes it interesting if it let's you watch video on your TV like google TV.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #46
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Picked for the Echo and looking forward to getting to beta test it when it's available
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #47
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram501 View Post
I have one of the original S3's. I am pretty sure it was Tivo that didn't want to make software changes for an end of life product and not the hardware. Although with the early slots maybe it was a pita.
I can't provide a citation at the moment, but I think they've basically confirmed here that it was hardware, not just software.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #48
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I can't provide a citation at the moment, but I think they've basically confirmed here that it was hardware, not just software.
TiVoPony's comments on the subject.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...sk#post6149876
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...rd#post7854359

Quote:
Likewise, features such as QAM remapping and M-Card S3 support do not target a significant portion of our subscribers, both are in fact very small numbers of subscribers. That doesn't mean that they automatically get set aside, or that TiVo is ignoring or doesn't care about those customers. But it is a consideration when trading off those features against others (M-Card for S3 is technically possible, but also technically very complex. We've learned that there is a lot of risk inherent in that development).
The risk and complexity were because the S3 hardware was set before there were any certified Mcards to test with. As I recall, things did not work exactly as expected. It really doesn't matter whether you consider that a hardware or software issue. Ultimately it was cost vs benefit that caused TiVo to nix M-card development for the original S3.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote