TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
truman861

Angry I think my hard drive is going = help please

I have had my Tivo series 2 with lifetime service since 2005 and refuse to replace it with a brighthouse dvr but my Tivo has been acting weird recently and I think its the hard drive.
I'll be watching a program and the program lind of pauses itself and then resumes. This is a very annoying issue, nothing displays as if it had actually been paused, it just does it by itself for 1/2 sec to 2 seconds sometimes as much as ten different times during a 1/2 hour show. Also I will tell the tivo to do something like fast forward and I hear the noise the box makes but takes a couple seconds to do it or takes 4-5 seconds to bring up the home screen after hearing the "bing".
I've done some research and getting conflicting info as to what a series 2 unit has. Some sites say its an IDE others say SATA, I have a spare sata drive and apparently I can clone the drive but dont have a way to have the old and new drive hooked up at the same time and as per winmfs you need both hooked up at the same time.
I'm getting frustrated, can someone please help.
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I have used WinMFS with only my windows drive and the Tivo drive hooked up, did a backup, then changed out the Tivo drive with the new drive, and did a restore. (Always power off the PC before adding/removing drives.)

The drive inside the S2 is a IDE drive and most of todays drives are SATA, but you can get an ide-to-sata adapter. You may need to cover the contacts on the adapter board with electrical tape so they do not contact the drive's case. You can also use a USB-to-IDE/SATA adapter to connect to the PC, but you will not be able to use WDIDLE, if needed (Only for WD drives), unless its hooked straight to the PC.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman861 View Post
I have had my Tivo series 2 with lifetime service since 2005 and refuse to replace it with a brighthouse dvr but my Tivo has been acting weird recently and I think its the hard drive.
I'll be watching a program and the program lind of pauses itself and then resumes. This is a very annoying issue, nothing displays as if it had actually been paused, it just does it by itself for 1/2 sec to 2 seconds sometimes as much as ten different times during a 1/2 hour show. Also I will tell the tivo to do something like fast forward and I hear the noise the box makes but takes a couple seconds to do it or takes 4-5 seconds to bring up the home screen after hearing the "bing".
I've done some research and getting conflicting info as to what a series 2 unit has. Some sites say its an IDE others say SATA, I have a spare sata drive and apparently I can clone the drive but dont have a way to have the old and new drive hooked up at the same time and as per winmfs you need both hooked up at the same time.
I'm getting frustrated, can someone please help.
Unless you have a copy of the software for your TiVo Series 2 that works with WinMFS you will have to get a pre formatted drive for your TiVo using some vender (E-Bay or Weaknees etc). If your drive is the problem (and it may not be but most likely is) just doing a copy may just xfer the problem to the new drive. The drive, as said above, is not a SATA, it is a PATA.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Unless you have a copy of the software for your TiVo Series 2 that works with WinMFS you will have to get a pre formatted drive for your TiVo using some vender (E-Bay or Weaknees etc). If your drive is the problem (and it may not be but most likely is) just doing a copy may just xfer the problem to the new drive. The drive, as said above, is not a SATA, it is a PATA.
If the drive is still actually functioning, he should be able to create a replacement drive w/o any problem. Unless the s/w has actually been partially trashed (unlikely, since it still works), he will not "xfer the problem to the new drive". Even if it has, there are ways of acquiring a WinMFS truncated backup file. The only people who should go with a pre-imaged drive are those who are totally incapable of using their own computer to do it and can't get a friend to do it for them.
------------------------------------------

To the OP:

You do not need both drives hooked up at the same time unless you want to preserve the recordings. You can hook up the original drive and use WinMFS to create a truncated backup. You can then shutdown, hook up the new drive , and restore the backup to the new drive. If you want to try to preserve the recordings, then you should consider using MFSLive. That way, you could hook one of the drives up in place of your system drive.

The drive in the S2 is definitely PATA (yet another vote). So unless you buy a PATA drive, you will need a SATA to PATA adapter, but they don't cost very much.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Yes, it's a PATA drive, yes, a SATA can be used with a Tivo compatible adapter (see the Upgrade Forum for the sticky on this topic). Yes, a cheap USB adapter cable works (even two at a time). If you just need to image a new drive without needing to save the recordings (you could copy them to your PC first) then check out the Upgrade Forum for free images. I have some S2 images if you know specifically what you need. If you don't know, read the model number from the back label. It will start with "TCD".
Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
truman861

Smile

I have a TCD540040. Yeah I know its a dinosaur but I still love it anyways.
As it turns out, I forgot that my spare SATA drive 500gb is hooked up to my xbox and the only spare I have is a 60gb wd ide drive.
That being said, I figure it's probably a good idea to either buy a new drive from best buy or maybe a newer unit with lifetime from ebay. any thoughts on which way to go would be appreciated as I am conflicted. I despise the thought of getting rid of the unit but would like the convenience of a series 3 or 4 box. The HD part is not that a big deal to me. I dont see the difference between the HD channel and regular channels on a 40inch tv on the wall 10-15 feet away. I do however hate the fact that all the smart phone apps out there only work on series 3 & 4 boxes, not series 2
I'm not worried about saving any programs as anything worth saving has already been transfered as I have the system networked.
Is it better to get a blank drive and upload an image, buy an imaged drive or just buy a new unit. I know this is a question ultimately I have to make. Being that I have never seen a s3 box, is there that much difference than the s2 box, menu or option wise?
Last but finally not least, Thank you so super much to everybody that has given advice so far, I really do appreciate it. You guys rock.
John
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
As it turns out, I forgot that my spare SATA drive 500gb is hooked up to my xbox and the only spare I have is a 60gb wd ide drive.
That being said, I figure it's probably a good idea to either buy a new drive from best buy or maybe a newer unit with lifetime from ebay. any thoughts on which way to go would be appreciated as I am conflicted. I despise the thought of getting rid of the unit but would like the convenience of a series 3 or 4 box. The HD part is not that a big deal to me. I dont see the difference between the HD channel and regular channels on a 40inch tv on the wall 10-15 feet away. I do however hate the fact that all the smart phone apps out there only work on series 3 & 4 boxes, not series 2
I'm not worried about saving any programs as anything worth saving has already been transfered as I have the system networked.
Is it better to get a blank drive and upload an image, buy an imaged drive or just buy a new unit. I know this is a question ultimately I have to make. Being that I have never seen a s3 box, is there that much difference than the s2 box, menu or option wise?
Last but finally not least, Thank you so super much to everybody that has given advice so far, I really do appreciate it. You guys rock.
John
1. No more cable box to control to change channels, and slower to change.
2. Records 2 channels at once.
3. Recording from antenna AND Cable channels at the same time.
4. Netflix and youtube.

If you are on a monthly subscription, it may not be worthy to fix, simply replace with S3 and change the service number on your account.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 07-14-2012 at 06:53 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
cannonz

What happens when using a adapter and it goes bad? I assume symptoms would be the same as bad drive.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I have used WinMFS with only my windows drive and the Tivo drive hooked up, did a backup, then changed out the Tivo drive with the new drive, and did a restore. (Always power off the PC before adding/removing drives.)
When I used WinMFS with my S3 boxes I typically added and removed drives without powering down and didn't have any issues. I would just do a refresh from the computer management screen. It was no different than other drives in windows.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When I used WinMFS with my S3 boxes I typically added and removed drives without powering down and didn't have any issues. I would just do a refresh from the computer management screen. It was no different than other drives in windows.
That good to know as i thought data may be corrupted if I just puled out the data cable and than the power cable on a running drive.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
John
If you want to just try out the 60GB drive to make sure that the drive is the problem, then you can do that because the original drive for that box was only 40GB. The new drive has to be at least as large as the original drive in order to image it. Go here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...388695&page=34 and look at post 1003 for links to the images.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
shwru980r

You should be able to find a used S2 TCD540040 or TCD540080 on Craig's list for $10 -$20. You can then swap the hard drives and be up and running again.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
You should be able to find a used S2 TCD540040 or TCD540080 on Craig's list for $10 -$20. You can then swap the hard drives and be up and running again.
With an old drive and no settings, season passes, or recordings. Using the old 60GB would be a better option.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote