TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
sarabear

TiVO not changing cable box channel

I have been through all of the channel changing troubleshooting. This TiVo has been working ok for years, then 36 hours ago, it stopped. My TiVO seems to connect around 7pm at night and the issue appears to have started between 5 and 11pm, so it looks like something with the update. I have rebooted etc, the IR transmitters are putting out, verified multiple remotes and extra cables. I switched cable boxes and the same thing happens. I have identified the software that communicates the channel change. The cable box works with the cable remote, the TIVO acts like it is changing channels but the cable box does nothing. I appears that the TIVO is spitting the wrong info. The frame on the screen shows the channel change, the screen makes a shift as if changing, but the channel does not change.

Last edited by sarabear : 07-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.
sarabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
HomeUser

Which model of TiVo?
What Cable box?
Did you get a software update?
I assume you are using the IR cable.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

If the Tivo has been working for years then I'm assuming that it is no newer than an S3. That being the case, I don't think there has been a SW update for quite some time. If you check out the kickstart codes at this link http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php then you should find one that lets you swap the SW partitions. That way, if you did somehow get an update, it should swap back to the previous version and you can see if it works then.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
If the Tivo has been working for years then I'm assuming that it is no newer than an S3. That being the case, I don't think there has been a SW update for quite some time. If you check out the kickstart codes at this link http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php then you should find one that lets you swap the SW partitions. That way, if you did somehow get an update, it should swap back to the previous version and you can see if it works then.
Since it was controlling an external cable box, it has to be an S2 or earlier. This is more likely a change to the cable box firmware.

How do you know the IR blaster is putting out something?

How is the TiVo cable box control configured? 3 or 4 digits, force an enter, etc..?

See this tread for reports of other people with a similar problem. There the OP ended up rebooting everything and rerunning guided setup.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
ggieseke

Let me guess - your provider is Cablevision?

There have been several threads on this here and at tivo.com recently. Try Scientific Atlanta in the Channel Changing menus or use the Advanced setup to pick code 10014B.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote