TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
teewow

Move Hard Drive from one Premiere to another without loss.

Is it possible to move a hard drive from one Tivo Premiere to another ... without having to reformat it? I will be using Comcast cablecard. Both Premieres have lifetime service. Thanks !
teewow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

No, you will have to do a Clear and Delete Everything in order for the drive to work.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

The answer to your question is Yes, but it may not be the answer to the information that you are really asking for. You could be wondering if you'd have to remove the drive and connect it to a pc to do computer geek stuff to it before putting it in the other Tivo. The answer to that is No. You could be wanting to know if you can swap drives and watch the recordings made on the previous Premiere. The answer to that is No. As mentioned by WhiskeyTango, you'd need to do a C&DE which will delete all existing recordings, in order for the software on the drive to function properly, but a C&DE is not reformatting the drive.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
teewow

Thanks for the replies.

HD from Tivo1 to Tivo2

So do I do a Clear and Delete to the drive in Tivo1 before I put it in Tivo2?

What happens when I boot up Tivo2? Will it behave like a new Tivo being booted for the first time?

Thanks !
Old 07-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

When you boot up the 2nd Tivo that has had the transplanted drive you will need to do a C&DE on it for it to operate properly.

It will not have the proper TSN since the drive and motherboard won't match, the C&DE will do what's best described as a full reset, and then the OS will properly know the TSN it's using. (not overly technical explanation)
Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by teewow View Post
T

So do I do a Clear and Delete to the drive in Tivo1 before I put it in Tivo2?
No. You'll just waste time. Just doing it will waste an hour and then when you put it in Tivo2, you'd have to repeat guided setup before you could get to the option of running C&DE which would then require you to go through guided set up again.

Quote:
What happens when I boot up Tivo2? Will it behave like a new Tivo being booted for the first time?

Thanks !
That depends on what state the hard drive was in when it was removed from Tivo1 but in most cases no, it's already been set up so it will boot to normal operation. It just won't function properly until you C&DE.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
teewow

Thank you all !!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by teewow View Post
Thank you all !!
To save time start the C&D on the first TiVo and when the first TiVo screen shows up wait about 5 seconds than pull the power plug, put the drive into the 2nd TiVo and the C&D all will happen automatically on the 2nd TiVo. When finished you will be ready to set up the 2nd TiVo without having to repeat the C&D all.