TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #8731
edtude

Going to crosspost this from the Upgrade forum because there just seems to be a bit more traffic here...looking for some guidance

Ok I tried my upgrade with mixed success and ultimate failure. Hopefully someone can tell me how to recover.

With a 2 TB WD20EURS I removed my 160GB hard drive from my Tivo HD and put the two drives in my desktop and booted up with JMFS. Everything went great here, copied from my original to my new drive took an hour and forty five minutes. I DID NOT expand at this time, so here was my first mistake. I exited JMFS and removed my original Tivo disk and booted my desktop with my normal drive and ran Winmfs. Picked my new Tivo drive and Supersized with no issues. Installed my new Tivo drive in the Tivo it booted up fine and I was watching TV of course I had no more then my original limited recording space.

So I went back to the beginning of this thread and found that I was supposed to expand using JMFS. So I figured I would go backwards meaning I removed the new drive from my Tivo, installed in desktop ran WinMFS and turned off Supersize. Booted in to JMFS and selected Expand, it wuickly came back and told me I had 288 hours of recording space. I then rebooted into Windows to gain that extra 30 hours of recording space with WinMFS. It acknowledged Supersize turning on.

I then installed the new drive into the Tivo and I get the Powering Up screen for a few seconds and then everything goes grey for at least 10 minutes which is longer then it has ever taken me to reboot.

So before screwing the pooch any further I reinstalled my old drive and it booted up fine and my wife is happy. I am not of course. How do I reover my new drive? Do I format it and start over? Suggestions....

Thanks
edtude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #8732
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtude View Post
Going to crosspost this from the Upgrade forum because there just seems to be a bit more traffic here...looking for some guidance

Ok I tried my upgrade with mixed success and ultimate failure. Hopefully someone can tell me how to recover.

With a 2 TB WD20EURS I removed my 160GB hard drive from my Tivo HD and put the two drives in my desktop and booted up with JMFS. Everything went great here, copied from my original to my new drive took an hour and forty five minutes. I DID NOT expand at this time, so here was my first mistake. I exited JMFS and removed my original Tivo disk and booted my desktop with my normal drive and ran Winmfs. Picked my new Tivo drive and Supersized with no issues. Installed my new Tivo drive in the Tivo it booted up fine and I was watching TV of course I had no more then my original limited recording space.

So I went back to the beginning of this thread and found that I was supposed to expand using JMFS. So I figured I would go backwards meaning I removed the new drive from my Tivo, installed in desktop ran WinMFS and turned off Supersize. Booted in to JMFS and selected Expand, it wuickly came back and told me I had 288 hours of recording space. I then rebooted into Windows to gain that extra 30 hours of recording space with WinMFS. It acknowledged Supersize turning on.

I then installed the new drive into the Tivo and I get the Powering Up screen for a few seconds and then everything goes grey for at least 10 minutes which is longer then it has ever taken me to reboot.

So before screwing the pooch any further I reinstalled my old drive and it booted up fine and my wife is happy. I am not of course. How do I reover my new drive? Do I format it and start over? Suggestions....

Thanks
Have you run wdidle3 to make sure that Intellipark is disabled?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #8733
edtude

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Have you run wdidle3 to make sure that Intellipark is disabled?
No, but I am making the CD and am going to try it tonight. Probably won't be able to report back until tomorrow as it is time for my wife and daughter to enjoy their Sunday night shows.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #8734
edtude

Success!!!

I upgraded my Tivo HD from the standard 160Gb Hardrive to a WD20EURS 2Tb Hardrive using JMFS to copy, took approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes then expanded the drive to get me to 288HD hours. I then used WinMFS to gain that extra 30 hours of HD recording and finally booted into DOS and ran WDidle3 to finish the job. Installed the drive and I am up and running. In about a month I will upgrade my Premiere.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #8735
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
Beware of Advance Format 4K Drives!

Below is the list of drives to avoid.

WD Drives
  • EARS (SATA II)
  • EARX (SATA III)
  • EZRX (SATA III)
  • EURS (SATA II)
  • EURX (SATA III)
  • EUCX (SATA III)

Hitachi Drives
  • CinemaStar 5K1000.B (SATA III)
  • CinemaStar 7K1000.D (SATA III)
  • Deskstar 5K1000.B (SATA III)
  • Deskstar 7K1000.D (SATA III)

Seagate Drives
  • ST1500DL003 (SATA III)
  • ST2000DL003 (SATA III)

Hothardware did benchmarks to show the negative impact of running an un-aligned Advance Format 4K drive and the results are rather nasty. The drives run up to 3x SLOWER when used on a non-4K supporting OS with unaligned sectors.
Has this been debunked? This seems to cover about everything available. What are the good non-AF, low-speed AV drives now? 1TB or 2TB.

It's for an HD with 1TB and I'm hoping to do one of the approaches that saves my recordings, etc.

Thanks,
tlc

Last edited by tlc : 07-03-2012 at 11:08 PM.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #8736
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Has this been debunked? This seems to cover about everything available. What are the good non-AF, low-speed AV drives now? 1TB or 2TB.

It's for an HD with 1TB and I'm hoping to do one of the approaches that saves my recordings, etc.

Thanks,
tlc
There are people reporting successful upgrades with AF drives. Hopefully these are not just "initial" successes with long term problems waiting to surface.

Good luck finding a non-AF drive now. And beware of a trap I fell into, which is that drives that were initially manufactured as non-AF (e.g., WD10EADS) have been refurbished as AF drives and are being sold under the exact same model number. On WD drives, (according to WD), the label on the drive will say "Advanced Format Drive" if it is one, including drives that were originally non-AF and have been remanufactured as AF.

As I understand it, an AF drive has to do more work when it writes data and is emulating a non-AF drive. It has to do a read-modify-write cycle. The AF drives are probably fast enough to do this without degrading TiVo performance but I wonder if the extra wear-and-tear won't impact drive longevity. This is not an issue if the operating system can be "aligned" with the 4KB sectors used in AF drives. Win7 and Vista are supposedly already aligned. XP systems are not and WD provides a "tool" to perform the alignment on those systems. TiVo uses Linux. The newer versions of Linux used on more recent TiVo models (Premiere I think) can support 4K alignment but older versions can't. I queried DVR Dude and weaknees about this issue and they both say they properly account for this alignment issue when supplying plug-in TiVo drives. How they could do this for the older TiVos (e.g., Tivo HD, S3) given the OS doesn't support it is a mystery to me.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by dlfl : 07-04-2012 at 10:33 AM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #8737
Lussie

Upgraded old Tivo S3 1 TB to 2TB without losing any shows.

I have just upgraded my old Tivo S3 (one with the OLED Display) to 2TB from an already upgraded 1TB Drive.

I didn't lose any shows either.

So far it seems to be working. I'll give it 2 weeks to see if it is ok.

Anyway, I did this using Windows 7, on my laptop with a Startech USB 3.0 Dual 2.5/3.5in SATA Hard Drive Docking Station. (from Amazon: SATDOCK22U3S)

Also I used a non-AF drive: Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (from Amazon: 0S02861)

I used the following software:
  • winmfs (beta build 9.3f)
  • iBored (1.1.10)

STEP 1

Start winmfs by right-clicking "Run as Administrator"
Go to Tools->MFSCopy

I Un-checked "Custom Linux Swap Size"
However I DID CHECK "No Optimized Partition Layout"

Click "Start" to start the copy. It took 5-6 hours for the copy to complete.
(Yay! USB 3.0)

After the copy finishes, You will see a dialog that says "You have extra capacity on your Hard drive. Do you want to expand?"

CLICK NO

Select the "View" Menu item and click "MFSInfo"

Note that there are 16 partitions with the last one listed as "Apple_Free"
We need to delete that last partition in Step 2.

Exit Winmfs and EJECT YOUR TIVO SOURCE DRIVE

STEP 2

Start iBored by right-clicking "Run as Administrator"

Select your "newly copied" tivo drive

iBored should start out on Block"0"

Go to block 16 (Either type "16" in the upper left text-panel or press CTRL-RightArrow 16 times)

in Block 16, click the "Template" tab

Make sure that "Apple Partition Map:AMP Entry" is selected in the combo box on the right. If it is not selected, make sure you select it (it's the first one)

In the Menu, Click "BlockView" -> "Make Writable"

We are now going to erase block 16!

Click the "Disk" Menu item and Select "Erase Blocks"

You will see a Specify Block Range Dialog
Mine had the Following:
  • Block Size: 512 (because I used a non-AF drive)
  • Start Block: 16 (The block we are on)
  • Block Count: [SOME HUGE NUMBER]

Change Block Count to "1"

Click OK

You will see a "Really Erase?" dialog. Click "Erase"
(NOTE: If you see a "write failed: writing is not enabled" dialog, then it means that you need to select BlockView->Make Writable)

BLOCK 16 should now be clear.

Now, move to block 15. (CTRL-LeftArrow)
Note that "blocks in partition map" is "16"
We need to change this value to "15" in blocks 1-15.

Lets do this by moving backwards.

For each block 15 to 1 do the following:
  • BlockView->Make Writable
  • Change "blocks in partition map" to 15
  • BlockView->Save Changes
  • CTRL-LeftArrow (to go to previous block)

ok. So now you are at block 1. Just to make sure that you changed all the entries, verify that "blocks in partition map" is "15" for blocks 1-15.

Exit iBored

STEP 3

Start WinMFS again (Right-Click "Run as Administrator")

Select Tools->MFSadd

You will get a warning about Tivo not handling partitions greater than 1 TB, but just ignore it (hopefully, you have Tivo Software version 11.0 on your tivo)

Edited for SuperSize (Sorry I forgot that in the original post)

In Winmfs, click on Tools->MFSSuperSize->On

That's it.

You now have a Tivo S3 with a 2TB Drive giving you 318 HD hours or 2777 SD hours.

Cheers,
-Kevin

P.S.
I also upgraded my Tivo HD from an already upgraded 1 TB to 2 TB Drive (same Hitachi as listed above) using a similar method but replacing Step 3 with using JMFS to expand it, but WinMFS to supersize. (Also didn't lose any shows and has been running for about 1 month now.)

Last edited by Lussie : 07-08-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Typos
Lussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #8738
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lussie View Post
I have just upgraded my old Tivo S3 (one with the OLED Display) to 2TB from an already upgraded 1TB Drive.

Wow, if this proves to be a reliable method, you will be a real hero to S3 owners Everywhere. Please keep us posted! I'm itching to migrate my S3's 1TB drive to 2TB and it's going to take some real restraint on my part not to purchase a new drive right away based on your post. I'm just a bit hesitant since it all still sounds too good to be true at this point.

One question though, following your method above there's no need to use the Supersize option at all to get the full 318 hours?

Thanks for the post!
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #8739
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:

Anyway, I did this using Windows 7...
Agreed, this is pretty cool.

So for the Linux guys out there, like me....any guesses what similar sequence of commands would duplicate this using the latest Linux boot CD (which at mfslife.org appears to be mfslive-1.4.iso)?
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #8740
hummingbird_206

Quote:

Wow, this is great info. Thanks for sharing! I have a 1TB in my S3 that has gotten really noisy. I've been wanting to change it out, but didn't want to lose a bunch of shows I have saved on it. I will for sure give this a try!

How noisy/quiet is the drive you're using (Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 32MB)?
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #8741
S3-2501

I couldn't resist, and just ordered a WD20EURS to test Lussie's instructions out with. I'm pretty sure it's an advanced format drive like most new drives, but I like that I'll know it's as quiet as can be and comes with a 3-year warranty.

I've only got USB2, so it's likely to take a very long time to copy my current 1TB over, but I'll follow the steps exactly and report back with my results. The drive should get here mid-week, so if things go smoothly I may be able to report back at the end of the week or over the weekend. *gulp*
Old 07-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #8742
hummingbird_206

Excellent, good luck!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #8743
Lussie

Quote:
One question though, following your method above there's no need to use the Supersize option at all to get the full 318 hours?
I super-sized it using WinMFS. (both on the S3 and the TivoHD) Sorry, I missed that step in the original post. I just edited it.

Also, that Hitachi drive seems to be as quiet as the old 1TB Cinemastars that were replaced.

BTW: I initially tried to copy using USB 2.0. That took almost 16 hours, after that I decided to buy a USB 3.0 card for my laptop after making about 16 tries at this. The card is a Silverstone Tek Slim ExpressCard/34 USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter (Amazon: EC02) Unfortunately, this USB 3.0 card was not recognized in the Linux ISO's. Nor does it work on any Linux virtual machines I was testing (VMware and Oracle VirtualBox) Seems to only work with Windows7.

Two things to keep in mind:
  • With the S3. JMFS does not seem to recognize the old S3 (OLED display, Not a TivoHD) 1 TB drive as a Tivo drive. It just says there are No Tivo Drives connected.
  • Manually removing the partition 16 (Apple_Free) with iBored is kind of a pain, but I think that's the secret sauce.

Cheers,
-Kevin

Last edited by Lussie : 07-08-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #8744
Lussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
I couldn't resist, and just ordered a WD20EURS to test Lussie's instructions out with. I'm pretty sure it's an advanced format drive like most new drives, but I like that I'll know it's as quiet as can be and comes with a 3-year warranty.

I've only got USB2, so it's likely to take a very long time to copy my current 1TB over, but I'll follow the steps exactly and report back with my results. The drive should get here mid-week, so if things go smoothly I may be able to report back at the end of the week or over the weekend. *gulp*
S3-2501: Please use caution with an AF drive.

I'm not 100% sure that old hardware like the S3 can handle an AF drive even if it is in compatibility mode. Make sure it is returnable.

BTW: You can tell a non-AF drive if the block size is 512.

Let us know your results.

Cheers,
-Kevin
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #8745
S3-2501

Quote:
I super-sized it using WinMFS. (both on the S3 and the TivoHD) Sorry, I missed that step in the original post. I just edited it.
Thanks for the quick answer and update! I can't wait to give this a try!

Edit: Yeah, I know AF is a risk, but I haven't read any real-world reports here of other Tivo models having definitive issues with them and I really wanted to stick with the WD AV drive series. I ordered it from Amazon, so I should be able to return it if I need to, and if not I may just use it to upgrade a relative's TivoHD.

I still can't wait to see if it works though. It's been very annoying lately having to police who's recording what in HD to keep the drive from filling up too fast!

Last edited by S3-2501 : 07-08-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #8746
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Doesn't this drive require running wdidle to disable intellipark? And I don't think wdidle can run using a USB connection, correct?

and
Old 07-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #8747
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Doesn't this drive require running wdidle to disable intellipark? And I don't think wdidle can run using a USB connection, correct?
It's correct that wdidle can only be run when the drive is connected to a motherboard. I've installed 3 WD AV drives in 3 different Tivos. I ran wdidle on the first one as a precaution. The other two were installed first and they passed the hard and soft reboot tests without any issue so I didn't bother running it later. I'll take the same approach with this drive and only bother with wdidle if the thing won't boot after competing the upgrade.

I mentioned that I only had USB2 since at the moment I plan to do the actual disk transfer by USB (more convenient for me) and I don't have any USB3 ports to transfer with as Lussie ultimately did. I do have access to a desktop PC motherboard with SATA connections if needed (or if I lose patience with the USB approach to the transfer ). Sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #8748
S3-2501

I'll post more details later, but right now I'm cautiously optimistic that I have successfully upgraded my S3 to 2TB using a WD20EURS and by following Lussie's instructions. The Tivo reports the full 318 HD hours and all old recordings and settings appear intact. More information to follow when I get a chance to sit down and compose a more thorough post (which I hope will be sometime over the next few days.)
Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #8749
hummingbird_206

Quote:
I'll post more details later, but right now I'm cautiously optimistic that I have successfully upgraded my S3 to 2TB using a WD20EURS and by following Lussie's instructions. The Tivo reports the full 318 HD hours and all old recordings and settings appear intact. More information to follow when I get a chance to sit down and compose a more thorough post (which I hope will be sometime over the next few days.)
Great! I'm looking forward to the details. I think I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Did you use an external USB drive or connect to the MB? Did you have to run wdidle? Did I mention I'm looking forward to the details?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #8750
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Great! I'm looking forward to the details. I think I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Did you use an external USB drive or connect to the MB? Did you have to run wdidle? Did I mention I'm looking forward to the details?
I'm just starting to write it all out. I'll do my best to post it sometime on Saturday if at all possible.

To answer your two specific questions: I used a motherboard connection,via an eSATA adapter bracket, and since I went that route I did go ahead and run wdidle. Stay tuned.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #8751
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I'm just starting to write it all out. I'll do my best to post it sometime on Saturday if at all possible.

To answer your two specific questions: I used a motherboard connection,via an eSATA adapter bracket, and since I went that route I did go ahead and run wdidle. Stay tuned.
Another question of interest is the heat generation of the Hitachi drive. Could you please post your internal TiVo temperature? (And what it was before the upgrade, if you know it.)

and
Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #8752
hummingbird_206

Quote:

Great, thank you!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #8753
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Another question of interest is the heat generation of the Hitachi drive. Could you please post your internal TiVo temperature? (And what it was before the upgrade, if you know it.)
I think S3-2501 used the WD drive, not the Hitachi. Are you looking for temps on the WD drive or the Hitachi?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #8754
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Quote:
I think S3-2501 used the WD drive, not the Hitachi. Are you looking for temps on the WD drive or the Hitachi?
Oops! I should have asked Lussie that question. I know WD drives are OK on the heat issue.

and
Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #8755
hummingbird_206

Quote:

I used Lussie's instructions and the WD20EURS and was pretty successful. I used the dual docking station, but plugged in to USB 2.0 since I don't have 3.0 on my computer.

It took 7.5 hours to copy from 1T Hitachi to 2T WD.

I did not run wdidle and S3 booted fine. Did a restart from the menu, and restarted with no problem.

However, ended up with 213 hours of HD recording time using the 2T drive. Old 1T drive had 157 hours. I did the supersize step. Not sure why I didn't get 318 hours? But overall I'm very happy. Preserved ~60 hours of HD shows and the WD drive is much quieter than the Hitachi drive was.

Thank you Lussie for those instructions. Awesome!
Thank you S3-2501 for listing the WD hard drive.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #8756
S3-2501

Ok, here are the upgrade details that I promised. This may be more detail than necessary, but I’d rather give too much detail than too little. Sorry if it’s all a bit dry, but it’s not exactly light reading to begin with.

The Tivo being upgraded is an original Series 3 with orange OLED front panel. My source drive was a WD10EVCS drive purchased from Weaknees that’s been in use for a few years now (manufacture date 11/19/08.) My upgrade drive is a WD20EURS manufactured 6/20/12. The label clearly states that it is an advanced format drive and gives jumper and alignment instructions for Windows XP users that end in “All other OS configurations – drive is ready to use as is.” No jumpers were placed on the drive. I’m running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on my PC. I don’t know if this is relevant, but the Tivo is used with OTA signals only, so there are no cable card or tuning adapter issues to worry about in this case.

Anxious to get things moving along, I decided to connect the drives directly to my computer’s motherboard via an expansion slot bracket that converts two of the onboard SATA ports into two eSATA ports on the bracket. The 1TB source drive was placed in an enclosure with eSATA capability, and the 2TB drive was left bare but installed on the Tivo’s mounting bracket and connected via a SATA to eSATA adapter.

Before starting the upgrade, I used a bootable USB stick with wdidle3 on it and ran wdidle3 /r to check the status of the new drive. It reported that the “timer is disabled” so no changes were made.

Mfscopy took almost exactly 4 hours 56 minutes. I was a bit concerned when the ETA timer went bananas near the end and started displaying some insanely long number for the time remaining. Thanks to clearly active HDD lights, I just let it go and thankfully it finished without issue.

The iBored step is where things got weird. I got to block 16 and found the “Apple Partition Map:AMP Entry” template fine, but when I selected BlockView->Make Writable I got an error that there was no disk found (similar to the error from back in the day when attempting to access a floppy drive with no disk in it.) The error reappeared when I clicked the various options presented on the error dialog, but after several tries it eventually did go away.

I selected Make Writable again, and when no error reappeared, I attempted to erase the block. Despite the drive being an AF drive, iBored reported the block size as 512. I took a picture of this with my camera, and only later when I looked at the picture did I notice a downward arrow to the right of the 512 indicating that I may have been able to select 4K as an option. So when deleting block 16, the block size was set to the default 512. I configured the rest of the block range dialog per the instructions and deleted block 16. For some reason I did have to re-start iBored to refresh the block view and confirm that block 16 was in fact deleted.

Now I had to change the “blocks in partition map” to 15 for all 15 remaining partitions. The problem was, I couldn’t find the “blocks in partition map” field. After some tinkering, I realized that to see that field, you must be sure that for each block you first click the Template tab and then select “Apple Partition Map:AMP Entry” from the drop down box.

It’s worth noting that I got the same disk not found error when I went to change the first “blocks in partition map” field, but once again after I got the error to go away I was able to retry without the error reoccurring. I then successfully changed the value for all 15 blocks.

One thing that threw me for a minute was that block 1 isn’t the lowest value block on the drive. I accidentally hit CTRL+LeftArrow one too many times and inadvertently selected to view block 0, the values on which made it look like I had seriously messed things up. Thankfully I spotted my error before I did any damage and I proceeded to confirm that “blocks in partition map” was set to 15 for all 15 remaining blocks.

I opened WinMFS, did mfsadd and turned on supersize. I then saved the final mfsinfo data before installing the drive in the Tivo. If people think they can derive useful information from the final partition or zone information, let me know and I can post that separately.

An important note before I go any further: While I had the cover off the Tivo, I checked the power supply capacitors for signs of the dreaded bulging. I have never had any rebooting or other issues with this Tivo and the existing 1TB drive, but I did see that one capacitor was indeed bulging enough to be noticed. If I start having reboot issues in the near future, I would replace the capacitor or the entire power supply before I would have any confidence that the upgrade or the advanced format drive is at fault. Let’s hope that’s not necessary in the near future though!

OK, so the moment of truth came and the Tivo booted fine. I checked the System Information screen, confirmed that it reported all 318 hours of HD recording space, and then verified that my old recordings were preserved and played properly. I did notice a slight delay in the sound effects and button response when I first attempted trick play with live TV, but within seconds that stopped completely and everything seemed normal.

I let the TiVo run for about 12 hours, during which time I had it connect to Tivo, stream and download from the Video on Demand menu and even transferred a show from another Tivo. In my limited use during those 12 hours or so, the only thing that seemed even remotely amiss was that menus and the guide seemed to be slower by up to a few seconds.

After those 12 hours, I soft-rebooted the Tivo to make sure that the information from wdidle3 was accurate. It soft-rebooted without issue.

Since that time, the menus have gotten closer to normal speed, though as I type this there are still occasions when they seem a touch slower. Accessing the To Do list has the most noticeable delay. Otherwise, so far it’s still happily recording away and I’m enjoying the new surplus of free space.

The System Information screen reports that the internal temperature is no warmer than it was with the old drive. The current temp reading is 46 degrees. As best as I can recall, the temperature with the old drive would approach 49 degrees at most.

In closing, I’d be remiss if I didn’t give a huge thanks to Lussie/Kevin for figuring all this out! His instructions were remarkably well done and easy to follow. Everyone looking to max out the capacity on their original S3 Tivo owes him a debt of gratitude!

Last edited by S3-2501 : 07-14-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #8757
unitron

S3-2501, go ahead and replace the caps on the +5V and +12V outputs and be done with it.

They'll be the ones with their + leads connected directly to the red or yellow wires (via the copper "lands" on the underside of the board) and their - leads connected directly to the black wires.

Did you use the WinMFS mfscopy or the MFS Live cd one?

What about swap partition size?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #8758
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
S3-2501, go ahead and replace the caps on the +5V and +12V outputs and be done with it.
Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge or skillset to do the replacement myself, and I don't want to part with the Tivo right now to bring it to an electronics repair shop since it seems to be working fine at the moment. I agree though, if I were able to do it myself quickly, I would have done it right away.

Quote:
Did you use the WinMFS mfscopy or the MFS Live cd one?
Everything was done using WinMFS and iBored, exactly as outlined in Lussie's instructions.

Quote:
What about swap partition size?
Following Lussie's instructions, I unchecked "Custom Linux Swap Size" and did check "No Optimized Partition Layout" before starting the copy. So whatever that does to the swap partition is what the Tivo has now.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #8759
S3-2501

Quote:
I However, ended up with 213 hours of HD recording time using the 2T drive. Old 1T drive had 157 hours. I did the supersize step. Not sure why I didn't get 318 hours?
When you were done removing block 16 and modifying the blocks in partition map fields with iBored, did you go back into WinMFS and select Tools -> MFSadd before you turned on supersize? MFSadd is what expands the usable space to the rest of the disk, so if you accidentally skipped that step that could be the cause of the discrepancy.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #8760
hummingbird_206

Quote:
When you were done removing block 16 and modifying the blocks in partition map fields with iBored, did you go back into WinMFS and select Tools -> MFSadd before you turned on supersize? MFSadd is what expands the usable space to the rest of the disk, so if you accidentally skipped that step that could be the cause of the discrepancy.
Thanks for helping me try to figure it out. I did do the MFSadd and got the warning about TiVo no handling partitions great than 1 TB. Then after that I did the MFSSupersize.