TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Gary McCoy

DirecTV Is Severely Annoying This Week

So I am two weeks into my DirecTiVo upgrade, where I swapped two old and worn out Hughes HDVR2's for two new THR22's. I thought I was adjusting to the new hardware just fine, after a few hiccups....

Then this past week the Viacom/DirecTV dispute happens, and DirecTV overwrote my carefully edited channel listing, adding a bunch of "alert" channels - and also adding back dozens of channels that I had manually deleted.

I totally understand the underlying dispute. There were in fact a couple of shows I watched on Spike and Comedy Central upon occasion. Nothing that I particularly care about, although I understand that some of you with kids will miss the Nickelodeon programming.

But DirecTV deliberately chose to overwrite my channel listing, in the process putting back all the non-English-speaking channels, the annoying shopping channels, the kids programming, the pay-per-view / enhanced content channels, and all the other stuff I had already thoughtfully excluded from my program guide. Of course, this also happened to the wife's primary DirecTiVo in the back room, about two days after I had carefully reviewed her own channels and deleted the junk she didn't care about - which took several times as long as my own main DVR, since she had to make the actual decisions.

A big raspberry for DirecTV, who could have dealt with this in a quiet manner but who chose to rub our noses in the dispute.

Message to DirecTV: My channel guide settings are MINE. I don't want you messing with them, changing them, or adding "alert" channels. If you add a channel that might interest me to your lineup, then send me a message and I will consider adding it myself. DON'T DO THIS AGAIN.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, I discovered the same thing yesterday. Killed my Favorites list too. But this is not the first time the channels list has been mangled by a DirecTV update.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You may want to check again in light of DirecTV and Viacom making up.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
GeoFan

All seems normal with my favorites and channel preferences list. I did have some Comedy Central shows as favorites, noticed that they were marked with 8000 channel numbers for awhile, during that Viacom issue. You had me worried. I guess I lucked out.
GeoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I did not see new issues once the Viacom feud was settled.