TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Tony Chick

Upgrading to XL4, what to do with Premiere?

I'm getting an XL4 today to replace my 2 tuner Premiere. My original intention was to simply swap out the boxes & move the cablecard and TA but that leaves me with a spare Premiere in the garage with a lot of recorded stuff. I know I can move my season passes, but I suspect not the recorded content (or can I?)

What else can I do with the Premiere?, if I move it somewhere else will I be able to watch those recorded shows on the XL4 over my LAN?. I don't really need a second DVR but it seems a waste to just sit on a shelf gathering dust.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
MJHoltorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick View Post
I'm getting an XL4 today to replace my 2 tuner Premiere. My original intention was to simply swap out the boxes & move the cablecard and TA but that leaves me with a spare Premiere in the garage with a lot of recorded stuff. I know I can move my season passes, but I suspect not the recorded content (or can I?)

What else can I do with the Premiere?, if I move it somewhere else will I be able to watch those recorded shows on the XL4 over my LAN?. I don't really need a second DVR but it seems a waste to just sit on a shelf gathering dust.
As long as the spare Premiere still has Tivo subscription service and is connected to your LAN, you can use it to watch any shows still recorded on it through the XL4. You can also move the recorded shows if the provider you recorded them from did not apply the CCI byte indiscriminately. It will say in the show's information if you can move it or not. Premium content like HBO or Showtime is usually not able to move, but can be streamed on the Premiere's to each other. Any shows recorded from OTA should be able to move. Hope that helps!
MJHoltorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
replaytv
LovesPanda licorice

You can always use the Premiere as a antenna HD tuner for the garage TV or other location that you really don't need a DVR. I have a Premiere that doesn't have a subscription DVR in the garage just to watch football while working out there. And have used other HD Tivos just as tuners to watch live news in the kitchen.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
mattack

It has to be on the same local network.. (which I guess MJHoltorf's response technically states, but I don't think that's blatantly obvious to everyone).

i.e. on the same router.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Tony Chick

I called Tivo to see what they could do for me, they talked me into keeping the old Premiere on the account, let me transfer my grandfathered $12.99 rate to the XL4 and gave me a $9.95 rate on the old box, 1yr commitment.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote