TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Mr. Squirrel

FiOS CableCard & STB or CC only?

Hi TiVo Friends, Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find an answer to this question.

To make a long story short we have finally upgrade to a Premiere XL from a single tuner S2. We're also moving to a new location and will be using FiOS TV. Currently have Optimum and one STB for the S2.

I need to order FiOS TV and I know I need a CableCard for the Premier XL, but was wondering if I should also get an HD STB to go alongside the Premier XL? The reason I ask this is that with our Series 2 unit changing channels can be incredibly slow. I don't want to spend the money on an extra HD STB if I don't need it, but have never seen a Premiere XL in use nor have I seen FiOS TV before so I don't know what I'll be missing w/o the HD STB, but want to order it if I don't need it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mr. Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
LifeIsABeach

Channel changes with the Series 2 were slow because the remote changed the TiVo channel then TiVo would send a signal to the cable box to change its channel. Premier will be faster since it uses cable cards. The one thing you will be missing is On Demand. TiVo cannot do that. You would need a seperate cable box.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
WhiskeyTango

The cable card takes the place of the STB so you will not need one to operate the Premiere. If you can live without On Demand, you don't need one of their STB's at all.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
MrDell

Fios Boxes

I have the Tivo Premiere with a Verizon Cable Card and they work quite well together. The Tivo changes channels pretty fast. I found the 30 second advance a little slower than the Verizon box, but it's not all that bad. If Fios "on demand " is not important to you, then I wouldn't wast your money on renting one of their boxes.(They just increased their prices too!)
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Mr. Squirrel

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is FiOS on demand and is it worth the $8/month for the HD STB to get it? We already have NetFlix and the Amazon movie service.
Mr. Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Their VOD service that has free and pay content.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
MrDell

Their On Demand has alot of the TV shows that you can watch if you miss an episode. We rarely used that feature because we would record anything that we would like to watch. It also has alot of the new movie releases but they are around $5.99 to rent!! Kind of crazy when you can go to RedBox for $1.20.
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDell View Post
Their On Demand has alot of the TV shows that you can watch if you miss an episode. We rarely used that feature because we would record anything that we would like to watch. It also has alot of the new movie releases but they are around $5.99 to rent!! Kind of crazy when you can go to RedBox for $1.20.
But not as convenient. RedBox is $1.58/$1.59 for BD rentals here. Sometimes you don't feel like going out and want to watch a movie right away. This is where Video On Demand comes in handy. Although I mainly use VUDU for that. Or Xbox Live or Amazon.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote