TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #481
ronsch

I think I did use pdisk under mfslive. I know I tried it under one of the Linux tool sets. Mfslive could see my flash drive which was plugged into the adjacent usb port but it showed it under /media instead of /dev.

I could probably try the usb ports on the back and see if it makes a difference. I may be able to find an old XP/IDE PC at work....

The SATA conversion might work although I would have to disassemble the disk cage on my PC to put in the drive. PIA!

Also been meaning to see if it makes a difference using a Series 2 drive.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #482
CrashHD
I am the me.

any usb media I've ever used under mfslive were assigned to sd(x).

if you plug in the usb after the system has booted, it should show what device it is mapped to on the console screen.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #483
ronsch

Ok. Here's the sequence:

1. Boot up MfsLive 1.4 booted with byteswapping on.

2. Power up Tivo drive connected to IDE-USB converter.

3. Plug in to PC USB connection.

4. About 15 seconds later I get:

usb 2-1.3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 2-1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi8 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access WDC WD25 00JB-00GVA0 2D08 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdg] 488397168 512-byte hardware sectors: (250 GB/232 GiB)
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdg] Write Protect is off
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdg] Assuming drive cache: write through
Repeat previous 3 lines verbatim
sdg: unknown partition table
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdg] Attached SCSI disk
sd 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg7 type 0

There is no sdg in /dev and any attempt to reference sdg gets an 'unknown' file or partition error.
It is in fact a 250GB Western Digital drive.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #484
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I don't recall, but is /dev sitting on a ramdisk?

If so, you could try manually creating the device files and see if that makes a difference:

mknod /dev/sdg b 8 96
mknod /dev/sdg1 b 8 97
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #485
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I don't recall, but is /dev sitting on a ramdisk?

If so, you could try manually creating the device files and see if that makes a difference:

mknod /dev/sdg b 8 96
mknod /dev/sdg1 b 8 97
Your a genius! I can now do a mfsinfo on sdg!

Guess it's time to read up on the mknod command and do some playing with this old TiVo drive before I start messing with the real thing.....
Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #486
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
Your a genius! I can now do a mfsinfo on sdg!

Guess it's time to read up on the mknod command and do some playing with this old TiVo drive before I start messing with the real thing.....
I wish! Glad you were able to work around that issue though.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #487
CrashHD
I am the me.

mfslive has always used the first vacant letter for me (e.g. third drive is sdc), but I've never booted in byteswap mode. perhaps that has something to do with it. either way, it seems not to matter since you've found a way around it.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #488
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
mfslive has always used the first vacant letter for me (e.g. third drive is sdc), but I've never booted in byteswap mode. perhaps that has something to do with it. either way, it seems not to matter since you've found a way around it.
You need to take into account that my keybord and mouse are both usb(sdc and dd). This is an HP PC so it also has two usb slots for camera memory cards(sde and sdf). That means the first additional item is sdg.

Even though I now have access to the TiVo drive, byteswapping is something I'm concerned about. The utilities usually make a point of saying only hdc and hdd qualify for byteswapping.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #489
CrashHD
I am the me.

I'm not certain, but I don't think all usb devices get assigned a /dev/sd(x) node. I think it's just storage devices. I do know card slots will take nodes, even without cards inserted.

I've never worked on a S1 drive, so I don't know the full details on byteswapping. Does it matter for all disk access, or just access to MFS partitions?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #490
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

If you can mount the file systems on a S1 TiVo drive then you have byteswapping enabled. If you don't, I believe you would be OK with backup/restore utilities, but I'm not sure about replacing the kernel.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #491
tomc585

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
If your Series 2 DirecTivo is connected to a phone line and successfully making calls, but you're still not getting the v6.4a update, then please post back with your Tivo Model Number and Tivo Service number. I'll pass that information along to our DirecTV contacts to provide to Tivo for further troubleshooting.
Tivo Model number - SERIES 2, SD-DVR80
Tivo current software version 6.2a-01-2-351
Tivo Service Number - 351-0000-D036-D239
Stock Tivo Software
TV brand & model number? LG LCD
My Tivo is connected to my TV via – S Video & RCA AV cable

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #492
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
If you can mount the file systems on a S1 TiVo drive then you have byteswapping enabled. If you don't, I believe you would be OK with backup/restore utilities, but I'm not sure about replacing the kernel.
I can't mount the file systems. I've tried every Linux distro I have access to and the MFSLive CDs are the only ones that recognize the drive properly. Even Knoppix 7.0 doesn't even acknowledge that the drive is there.

The mfslive boot process only allows option numbers and then the cfg file tells it what kernel parameters to pass so I have no way to specify bswap.

I DO have access to an IDE PC at work so I may just do that unless anyone has other ideas?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #493
CrashHD
I am the me.

Disclaimer: This is a reach beyond my actual first hand experience, and the following information may in fact be absolutely wrong.

You can pass custom boot parameters to the mfslive bootcd. You can accomplish the same as boot option #2 by entering the following at the boot prompt:
bzImage append ide=nodma hdc=bswap hdd=bswap initrd=initramfs.gz vga=788

You can adjust the parameters as you see fit to turn on byteswapping on additional device nodes. I do not know if it is possible to byteswap a /dev/sd node, but if it's possible to do so in the same way, this would likely be what turns it on.

I don't remember, but I think the ide=nodma parameter is necessary because the driver cannot simultaneously do dma and byteswapping.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #494
ronsch

Quote:
Disclaimer: This is a reach beyond my actual first hand experience, and the following information may in fact be absolutely wrong.

You can pass custom boot parameters to the mfslive bootcd. You can accomplish the same as boot option #2 by entering the following at the boot prompt:
bzImage append ide=nodma hdc=bswap hdd=bswap initrd=initramfs.gz vga=788

You can adjust the parameters as you see fit to turn on byteswapping on additional device nodes. I do not know if it is possible to byteswap a /dev/sd node, but if it's possible to do so in the same way, this would likely be what turns it on.

I don't remember, but I think the ide=nodma parameter is necessary because the driver cannot simultaneously do dma and byteswapping.
I'm pretty sure I tried that aready. Because of the cfg file it only accepts 1, 2, 3, or 4. I believe you are correct about the nodma & bswap being mutually exclusive.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #495
CrashHD
I am the me.

I don't have a byteswapped drive to test with, but I was able to boot the cd (1.4) using those parameters on the command line.

I know it was booting from the parameters I put on the command line, and not from the config file, because the first time I forgot to include the initrd=initramfs.gz and the boot process ended in a kernel panic due to there being no root fs to mount.

DMA and bswap are mutually exclusive NOdma & bswap go together, but I think that's what you meant.

FWIW, you mentioned having access to an IDE PC at work...that is probably the safest course. I have no idea whether byteswapping is even possible on an interface other than IDE.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #496
ronsch

Quote:
I don't have a byteswapped drive to test with, but I was able to boot the cd (1.4) using those parameters on the command line.

I know it was booting from the parameters I put on the command line, and not from the config file, because the first time I forgot to include the initrd=initramfs.gz and the boot process ended in a kernel panic due to there being no root fs to mount.

DMA and bswap are mutually exclusive NOdma & bswap go together, but I think that's what you meant.

FWIW, you mentioned having access to an IDE PC at work...that is probably the safest course. I have no idea whether byteswapping is even possible on an interface other than IDE.
I finally figured out the initrd was missing as well. I was testing with 1.3b after what you said earlier. The boot succeeds now and pdisk shows the partitions but I can't mount any of them. Just says mount failed. No other explanation.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #497
CrashHD
I am the me.

I would say bswap must be handled in the ide driver, and since you're hooking up via usb, it's a different driver, but I have no facts to support that statement, it's purely a wild a$$ guess.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #498
ronsch

Quote:
I would say bswap must be handled in the ide driver, and since you're hooking up via usb, it's a different driver, but I have no facts to support that statement, it's purely a wild a$$ guess.
I wouldn't be surprised. Think it's time to use the machine at work although that's a PIA being separated from the TiVo, unless I just take it home over a weekend. Also might need to see about getting one of my old IDE computers fixed just so I'll have one available.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #499
CrashHD
I am the me.

a good number of pci ide cards get recognized as /dev/hd(e,f,g,h) by most of these boot cd's. If you've got one of those laying around, that's another way (I've got an old promise UATA 100 card I refuse to part with for just that reason).
Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #500
JohnnyRocket

Hi,
I have a dsr6000 stuck at 3.5c...
Lost my locals last night...
Does anyone know where I can get a 3.5d image? would anyone send me one?

Thanks for any help...
JohnnyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #501
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocket View Post
Hi,
I have a dsr6000 stuck at 3.5c...
Lost my locals last night...
Does anyone know where I can get a 3.5d image? would anyone send me one?

Thanks for any help...
This:

echo mls /SwSystem |tivosh

will show you if you have it on your system already and just need to get it installed.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #502
chimpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
This:

echo mls /SwSystem |tivosh

will show you if you have it on your system already and just need to get it installed.
Ronsch, do you have the image? I don't have 3.5d, and for some reason, no matter how many times I try to force an upgrade, it never wants to download.

I'd be grateful if anyone could post/send me a copy too.
chimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #503
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpster View Post
Ronsch, do you have the image? I don't have 3.5d, and for some reason, no matter how many times I try to force an upgrade, it never wants to download.

I'd be grateful if anyone could post/send me a copy too.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard reports of anyone with a Hughes GXCEBOT or Sony SAT-T60 getting 3.5d via a donated image or by manually installing slices. I was able to manually install the 3.5d software on my DSR6000 since I already had the slices on board though (link). If you have access to the bash prompt on your T60 you might be able to do the same if you have the 3.5d software sitting in the MFS database.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #504
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
3.5d is not available for download from DirecTV/TiVo. So the only way to get it is by a manual install.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #505
ronsch

And the only place I have it is in the slices in my MFS.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #506
chimpster

I thought a manual install could be done by getting the extracted data from the MFS slices, and then installing it on another unit. Is that not the case?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #507
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I'm not sure if extracting the slices from MFS to use elsewhere is even possible. I believe the typical method is to catch the slice files sitting on a regular file system before they are loaded into MFS and deleted. And it stands to reason that if someone had 3.5d T60 slices to share, they would also have a 3.5d T60 backup image to share.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #508
chimpster

Well the issue is that I'd like to keep the shows on my older version. Wouldn't I be stuck creating a new drive with a backup image, and losing all of my old shows?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #509
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpster View Post
Well the issue is that I'd like to keep the shows on my older version. Wouldn't I be stuck creating a new drive with a backup image, and losing all of my old shows?
Yes, the only way to save your shows would be to do a slice upgrade, although having the 3.5d slices also seems to be hit or miss. One of my DSR6000s running 3.5c that has been subbed for several years but never phoned in had the 3.5d slices. Another that I took a look at for someone else was running 3.1.0 even though it was unhacked and had been in use for years. They didn't even have the DST fix from a few years ago.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #510
chimpster

Argh, that's a bummer. It's crazy that DirecTV won't let anyone download the 3.5d software.

It looks like I'm out of luck unless someone figures this out. Not sure how many people are in the same situation I am. I hate to just lose everything, but I guess I'm out of options.