TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
am95

Audio dropouts on FiOS after switching to TiVo Premiere

For the last few years I've used a Motorola box supplied by Verizon and have not had any audio or video dropouts. Upon getting a TiVo Premiere yesterday I noticed, at least on HBO, that there seems to be audio dropout maybe once everything 15 minutes or so. This leads me to believe the issue is with the TiVo (or maybe the cablecard?). Any solutions?

EDIT: Wanted to mention that the picture freezes during these dropouts but no pixelation.

Last edited by am95 : 06-05-2012 at 07:07 AM.
am95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Is HBO the only channel that does this? I don't have any issues on the premium channels(or any other channels) in the Ultimate tier. But I'm not currently subscribed to HBO.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
am95

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is HBO the only channel that does this? I don't have any issues on the premium channels(or any other channels) in the Ultimate tier. But I'm not currently subscribed to HBO.
Haven't really tried any channels yet. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

UPDATE: Watched ESPN for close to an hour and I didn't notice any dropouts.

Last edited by am95 : 06-05-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am95 View Post
For the last few years I've used a Motorola box supplied by Verizon and have not had any audio or video dropouts. Upon getting a TiVo Premiere yesterday I noticed, at least on HBO, that there seems to be audio dropout maybe once everything 15 minutes or so. This leads me to believe the issue is with the TiVo (or maybe the cablecard?). Any solutions?

EDIT: Wanted to mention that the picture freezes during these dropouts but no pixelation.
Check the DVR diag screen on that channel for RS uncorrected count increasing....

I have installed a LowPassFilter (LPF) provided by verizon and also installed attenuators to lower the HOT signal... there is a long thread about this back from TivoHD days....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
am95

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Check the DVR diag screen on that channel for RS uncorrected count increasing....

I have installed a LowPassFilter (LPF) provided by verizon and also installed attenuators to lower the HOT signal... there is a long thread about this back from TivoHD days....
I'm looking at the diagnostics screen and here's a few stats that might be relevant:

Signal strength: 98-99
SNR: 38dB
RS Uncorrected: 443
RS Corrected: 241

Anything sound off here?

Also, what is a HOT signal?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
das335

Quote:
I'm looking at the diagnostics screen and here's a few stats that might be relevant:

Signal strength: 98-99
SNR: 38dB
RS Uncorrected: 443
RS Corrected: 241

Anything sound off here?

Also, what is a HOT signal?

Thanks
I recently added a cablecard to my TiVo HD for FIOS and had some issues with a few channels (signal strength dropping to 0 from 100). I added a 3-way splitter to attenuate the signal by 7dB and it eliminated most of the of uncorrected errors. I think my SNR range is now between 33dB and 35dB on most channels. I have not had the channels drop since I added the splitter to reduced the signal strength.

I am still trying to get a LPF but I am using a workaround solution.

If you can add a splitter, give it a try and see if it reduces the number of uncorrected errors.
das335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
DonaldBurns65144

Try changing your audio setup from Dolby to PCM or PCM to Dolby.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
am95

Just an update...

I bought an adjustable attenuator and dropped the SNR down to 31 as I've seen in suggested on another thread and while this has reduced the frequency it hasn't completely eliminated it either. I got 2 or 3 drop out over the course of a 2 hour program on HBO that I just watched. There's also the occasional line of what I could best describe as junk.

My concern is that reading other threads this issue with the signal being too strong shouldn't be a problem with the premiere and instead was a series 3 issue. Plus I can't really find anyone else complaining about the same issue after a doing a search which makes me wonder if maybe I have a faulty box?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes, my SNR is typically 37 on most channels on my Premieres and they have typically been fine. But since the storm last week, that knocked out FiOS for awhile, I have noticed some brief audio glitches on some of the channels like CNN. They were fine prior to the outage last weekend. The audio glitches I've heard have been repeatable when you backup and play the section again.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
am95

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes, my SNR is typically 37 on most channels on my Premieres and they have typically been fine. But since the storm last week, that knocked out FiOS for awhile, I have noticed some brief audio glitches on some of the channels like CNN. They were fine prior to the outage last weekend. The audio glitches I've heard have been repeatable when you backup and play the section again.
Do this apply to HBO with you as well (assuming you have HBO)?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Do this apply to HBO with you as well (assuming you have HBO)?
I don't have HBO right now. Only the Premiums that are included with the Ultimate HD tier.