TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Kennykenny17

Exclamation Hard Drive Upgrade for TCD 540040

My TCD540040 freezes shortly after I restart. I think it's a hard drive failure or not please tell me so. I want to replace the hard drive to fix the problem and would a Western Digital Performer Tivo 60GB 5400 RPM ATA IDE hard drive WD600AW-00DDK1 work in my TiVo if I flash the image to it? Thanks!
Kennykenny17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
dwit

Yes, that drive will almost certainly work. Virtually any ide drive(with same or larger capacity) will work.

Hopefully, you can still salvage the image from the failing drive. Have you run a diagnostic on the failing drive? (Even if it passes the diag tests, it still may not be yet suitable for the Tivo, but you still may be able to copy the image). It could be something else, but the drive is usually the best suspect.

Be aware that you can install a much larger capacity drive if desired. Even an sata drive using a compatible ide to sata adapter. The methods to do the upgrade can be found at mfslive.org, although the forum is not very active there. You can still post your questions here, preferably in the Upgrade Center forum.

Good luck.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
bshrock

"My TCD540040 freezes shortly " How shortly Seconds, Minutes or Hours?

Could be the Hard Drive, Power supply or Mother board.

What screens do you see when it powers up, can you access the TiVo menus?

When it "freezes" what front panel lights on on if any?

Does the orange/yellow light flash when you press buttons on the remote?

Can you run kickstart 54?

If you are tech savvy pull the drive and test it in a PC with the drive manufactures (free) boot from CD diagnostics.

Yes the WD600AW-00DDK1 or any 40G or larger ATA IDE drive will work.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Kennykenny17

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
"My TCD540040 freezes shortly " How shortly Seconds, Minutes or Hours?

Could be the Hard Drive, Power supply or Mother board.

What screens do you see when it powers up, can you access the TiVo menus?

When it "freezes" what front panel lights on on if any?

Does the orange/yellow light flash when you press buttons on the remote?

Can you run kickstart 54?

If you are tech savvy pull the drive and test it in a PC with the drive manufactures (free) boot from CD diagnostics.

Yes the WD600AW-00DDK1 or any 40G or larger ATA IDE drive will work.
Thanks for the reply. My TiVo freezes about 10-15 minutes after it boots up. It occurs when I am watching live tv. The green light is only light that is on in the front of the TiVo. It does not respond to any remote commands so the yellow light does not flash as normal. I do not have a PC to put the drive in, I only have a USB to ide adapater that I use.

Last edited by Kennykenny17 : 06-30-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennykenny17 View Post
Thanks for the reply. My TiVo freezes about 10-15 minutes after it boots up. It occurs when I am watching live tv. The green light is only light that is on in the front of the TiVo. It does not respond to any remote commands so the yellow light does not flash as normal. I do not have a PC to put the drive in, I only have a USB to ide adapater that I use.
The drive in that TiVo is probably a Maxtor.

The diagnostic software to run on it is SeaTools from Seagate (who bought Maxtor)

I can hook you up with an image to use on that model TiVo that you can use with the MFS Live cd v1.4 (a copy of which you should burn for yourself anyway, just cause it's handy to have if one owns any hard drives), or an image you can use with WinMFS.

You might be able to extract an image from the TiVo's current drive, though, and that would save all of your settings, and if you have a large enough NTFS or ext2 or ext3 partition on your computer, your recorded shows as well.

But your problem might be the power supply and not the hard drive.

Also, if you're going to replace the hard drive, the best GB/$ ratio would be a new SATA drive (with a JMicron chipset based IDE/SATA adapter).

You can use a single 1TB drive, or, if you get a dual drive bracket from Weaknees, 2 of them.

Do you already own that 60GB WD drive?

If not, what's it going to cost you?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
HomeUser

Check the fan and vents, the DVR may be over-heating.

If the fan and vents (underneath) are clear then run the TiVo's KickStart 54 tests.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Kennykenny17

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

The diagnostic software to run on it is SeaTools from Seagate (who bought Maxtor)

I can hook you up with an image to use on that model TiVo that you can use with the MFS Live cd v1.4 (a copy of which you should burn for yourself anyway, just cause it's handy to have if one owns any hard drives), or an image you can use with WinMFS.

You might be able to extract an image from the TiVo's current drive, though, and that would save all of your settings, and if you have a large enough NTFS or ext2 or ext3 partition on your computer, your recorded shows as well.

Also, if you're going to replace the hard drive, the best GB/$ ratio would be a new SATA drive (with a JMicron chipset based IDE/SATA adapter).

You can use a single 1TB drive, or, if you get a dual drive bracket from Weaknees, 2 of them.

The 60 GB drive is going to cost me $12. I do not really know if the problem is with the power supply or the hard drive. Is there any way to determine between the power supply failure or hard drive failure?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
HomeUser

Quote:
The 60 GB drive is going to cost me $12. I do not really know if the problem is with the power supply or the hard drive. Is there any way to determine between the power supply failure or hard drive failure?
Did the drive pass the Kickstart 54 S.M.A.R.T test?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Do you have a PC that can boot from a cd and that has an IDE/PATA controller?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Kennykenny17

Exclamation

Quote:
Do you have a PC that can boot from a cd and that has an IDE/PATA controller?
I have a pc that can boot from a cd however I have no idea how to install the hard drive inside my desktop, I currently use a IDE to USB adapter. I cannot run Kickstart 54 because my TiVo is now currently stuck on the Welcome! Screen.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I have a pc that can boot from a cd however I have no idea how to install the hard drive inside my desktop, I currently use a IDE to USB adapter. I cannot run Kickstart 54 because my TiVo is now currently stuck on the Welcome! Screen.
Do you have a #10 and a #15 Torx driver?

You'll need the #10 to open the TiVo and remove the drive bracket.

Go to mfslive.org and download the image of the .iso of the MFS Live cd v1.4 and burn it to cd as an image.

While you're there, download WinMFS as well.

Either should be able to see the drive attached to the USB adapter and see if it can still be recognized as a TiVo drive if it's still working as a drive at all.

If it seems to still be working as a drive, there are a couple of tricks we can try with WinMFS.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Kennykenny17

Thanks! I got the TiVo opened up and connected it to to computer. Currently WinMFS still can recognize the hard drive as a Series 2 or 3 drive. Everything looks fine, it's taking a while to create a backup of the image. What should I do next?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
dwit

Quote:
Kickstart is initiated before the Tivo boots to any screens(as far as I remember). Research the kickstart procedures(somewhere here in the forums).

Then unplug the machine and then plug it back in. The kickstart is initiated by observing the front panel lights and entering codes with the remote as the Tivo is starting.

This(kickstart) is probably your best recourse(besides checking the fan and vent for overheating), unless you brush up a little on the inner workings of the computer.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Thanks! I got the TiVo opened up and connected it to to computer. Currently WinMFS still can recognize the hard drive as a Series 2 or 3 drive. Everything looks fine, it's taking a while to create a backup of the image. What should I do next?
While you have the TiVo open, go here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=479176

to learn how to look for bad capacitors in the power supply, and then search the entire site for the word "capacitor" to find the threads about what to do if you do have bad ones.

When that backup image finishes getting made, click on mfsinfo and make sure it doesn't complain, but just shows you a bunch of info about the drive, like partition map and a bunch of other stuff.

If it does complain we can try a trick or two, although I'll be away from about 6 PM EDT until 8 or 10.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Kennykenny17

The backup failed for some reason and now the hard drive won't show up in WinMFS at all, does this mean it has failed? I have checked all the capacitors and none of them seem to be bulging at the top.

Last edited by Kennykenny17 : 06-30-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
The backup failed for some reason and now the hard drive won't show up in WinMFS at all, does this mean it has failed? I have checked all the capacitors and none of them seem to be bulging at the top.
Sounds like it's at least sick, possibly on the software level, but at that age could be on the hardware level.

Which reminds me, that 60GB is probably no spring chicken either, so you should consider it a temporary substitute.

Were there shows on the 40GB drive you were trying to save?

What is the brand, model number, and LBA number on the sticker on the top of that 40GB drive?

I'm uploading 540 images to someplace from which you can download them, but it'll be a while.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Kennykenny17

Thanks, the hard drive shows up as connected to the computer but not on WinMFS.
Brand: Maxtor
Model Number: N256
LBA: 80293248
There are no shows that I really want to save but if I can do it somehow that would be great. There is a tivo TCD 540040 on ebay for sale for $17, considering it to use it for parts in terms of hard drive or power supply. Could I buy a regular non-tivo hard drive and install a image on that?

Last edited by Kennykenny17 : 07-01-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
There are no shows that I really want to save but if I can do it somehow that would be great. There is a tivo TCD 540040 on ebay for sale for $17, considering it to use it for parts in terms of hard drive or power supply.
That's the same size as the drive from which I made backup images, available here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...85#post9160085

but if you have a larger drive available to use, even temporarily, use it first without bothering to expand, just to test the rest of the TiVo.

It should boot and want to start Guided Setup before it'll let you do anything else.

So you'll need some sort of subscription if you don't currently have one, although if it gets as far as wanting to run GS, then the TiVo is probably alright (but take a good look at the power supply caps, especially under the heat sink overhang) and the new drive is probably alright.

Once that's confirmed we can talk about trying to copy the Maxtor to the new drive to save the shows on it.

I'd advise you to consider that 60GB, if you use it, a temporary parking place for your TiVo software and files, and not bother expanding into the extra 20GB. That'll let you move to a bigger drive later without having used up all of your MFS pair allotment.

Before you go the eBay route, check Craigslist.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #19
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
There are no shows that I really want to save but if I can do it somehow that would be great. There is a tivo TCD 540040 on ebay for sale for $17, considering it to use it for parts in terms of hard drive or power supply. Could I buy a regular non-tivo hard drive and install a image on that?
You don't say what OS you are using on that computer, but if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you have to right click on the WinMFS.exe and 'run as administrator' for it to see the Tivo drive.
I ran into this the first time I ran WinMFS on my W7 machine. Had me questioning my sanity until I found the solution here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Yes, there are some drives you can use in the TiVo that are not models that were used in any of the TiVo models.

You can use up to a 1TB drive in that model TiVo, and that'll probably give you the best GB/$ ratio.

That means a SATA drive, so go read the adapter thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

Short version, a Series 2 needs an adapter with a JMicron chipset or the more expensive Marvell chipset (the Marvell is the one you have to use with an S1)

Also, if you want to go to Weaknees and buy a dual drive bracket, you can actually use 2 1TB drives.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #21
Kennykenny17

Thanks! I got WinMFS to locate the TiVo hard drive, everything looks fine as usually. It went through the whole backup. Should I do anything next. I have another Maxtor N256 laying around however it does not get recognized. I have tried both MFSlive and WinMFS. How do I run a diagnostic on this separate drive?

Last edited by Kennykenny17 : 07-06-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #22
unitron

Quote:
Thanks! I got WinMFS to locate the TiVo hard drive, everything looks fine as usually. It went through the whole backup. Should I do anything next. I have another Maxtor N256 laying around however it does not get recognized. I have tried both MFSlive and WinMFS. How do I run a diagnostic on this separate drive?
So you are saying you have a second Maxtor drive identical to the drive which was in the TiVo, and that you hooked up the drive that was in the TiVo and used WinMFS to make a backup image of it, and that backup image is currently somewhere on whatever hard drive you have in your computer?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #23
Kennykenny17

I have a similar Maxtor hard drive however that does not pop up in WinMFS, the current hard drive in the TiVo was finally identified by WinMFS and I created a backup of the drive. When I attempt to turn on the TiVo it goes from the Welcome! Powering Up Screen to a blank white screen.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
unitron

Quote:
I have a similar Maxtor hard drive however that does not pop up in WinMFS, the current hard drive in the TiVo was finally identified by WinMFS and I created a backup of the drive. When I attempt to turn on the TiVo it goes from the Welcome! Powering Up Screen to a blank white screen.
So have you attempted to restore that backup to a different hard drive?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
Kennykenny17

I wanted to do a restore to my extra maxtor hard drive however that is not being identified by WinMFS and I was wondering is there any way to get that drive recognized by WinMFS or MFSlive.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #26
unitron

Quote:
I wanted to do a restore to my extra maxtor hard drive however that is not being identified by WinMFS and I was wondering is there any way to get that drive recognized by WinMFS or MFSlive.
Have you tried it this way?

Hook up the target drive to the computer via the USB thingie, boot into Windows with admin privileges, launch WinMFS, click on restore, select the file, and then see if it lets you choose the drive.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #27
Kennykenny17

I haven't tried that way yet. I will now and see if it works.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
Kennykenny17

In admin mode WinMFS still does not see the drive. Tried MFSlive also however it keeps on repeating the same line on the screen continuously. Is there any way to get this drive to work. Someone suggested doing a Kickstart however I can't even understand how to do it. There are no yellow lights in front of my TiVo is remains green.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #29
unitron

Quote:
In admin mode WinMFS still does not see the drive. Tried MFSlive also however it keeps on repeating the same line on the screen continuously. Is there any way to get this drive to work. Someone suggested doing a Kickstart however I can't even understand how to do it. There are no yellow lights in front of my TiVo is remains green.
It helps if you have one of those electrical outlet strips with a built-in switch.

That way you can plug it into the wall and the TiVo into it and not have to take your eyes off of the TiVo when you apply power to it, and you can turn off power right away if anything goes wrong.

The way to Kickstart that model, and most of them, is to apply power to the TiVo, keep your eye on the lights on the front, while you have the remote ready to use, and at about 60 seconds after power is applied you should see one light dim and the other come on slightly.

That's when you press Pause and hold it for about 1 second, and then enter the number or numbers, just like you were putting in channel numbers.

I suggest 58.

When you say you tried MFS Live, I'm assuming you burned, as an image, the image to a cd-r, and set your computer to boot from the cd or dvd drive.

Try that again, with the original drive from the TiVo connected to the IDE-USB adapter, and powered up, but without the USB end plugged into the computer.

Once the computer boots into Linux from the cd and settles down to the command prompt, after putting a bunch of confusing info on the screen, plug in the adapter to a USB port on the computer, and see if some new lines don't pop up on the screen.

If several do, and then it doesn't get back to the command prompt, hit the space bar. If that doesn't do anything, then hit the Enter key.

That should have you back at the command prompt.

When the adapter/drive combo gets detected it should call it something like /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, and so through c, d, and the rest of the alphabet until it finds a letter not in use. It shouldn't have to go far. If you just have one hard drive inside the computer and one cd or dvd drive, then it shouldn't have to go any farther down the list than /dev/sdc.

Let's use that for illustration.

At the command prompt, type

fdisk -l /dev/sdc

(that's a lower case L following the hyphen. The hyphen follows a space that tells the operating system that the command is only

fdisk

and that the hyphen/letter combo is an option of that command)

You'll probably get something like no partition table found or something like that.

That's not a problem, because a TiVo doesn't use a DOS-style partition table of the kind

fdisk

would be looking for.

You just want to see if

fdisk

can find the drive.

Then type

pdisk -l

That command looks for drives with Apple Partition Maps, which is what the TiVo uses.

If you get something that lists about 13 to 15 partitions, that's good.

If so, type

mfsinfo /dev/sdc

and see what you get.

Then type

poweroff

and the computer will shut down properly.

Then disconnect the adapter from the USB jack on the computer and hook up one of the other IDE drives you're trying to use to it, and go through the whole process again.

Once we know if the computer, and Linux, can or cannot see the drives via that USB connector, we'll have an idea what to do next.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #30
trubel

Quote:

Can you help me?
trubel is offline   Reply With Quote