TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
HFChristie

Lost media key

My tIVo failed, and while trying to diagnose, I removed watch battery on motherboard. That didn't fix it (still stuck on welcome), so I purchased another unit, same model.

After confirming new TiVo worked, I put drive for my original T in replacement. Same problem, although this time it got stuck on Almost There screen.

I then put drive from replacement T in original (lifetime) unit. After a couple tries, it booted into main play list menu. Yoppee!! However, several things popped out immediately;
1. OS on replacement drive is so old, it's missing 1 or 2 of the main menu items. I can't remember which, but it's only showing 4 choices.
2. Evidently, OS is so old it won't recognize the USB ports on my motherboard, so I can't connect to TiVo service. And, since all telephone lines in neighborhood are digital, it can't talk to TiVo using a phone line.
3. Finally, it appears that the watch battery ihad nothing to do with retaining instead of retaining at least some of the network and config settings, but it did keep the media key!

So, here are my questions;
A. Do I need the media key, and other now missing system info, that I lost when I removed the watch battery, to access my lifetime service, or is the needed sn or ID part of the firmware? I can't see any sign of an sn or eid anywhere.
2. Is there a way to upgrade the OS on this drive without using a network or phone connection?

I know I have to eventually get an upgraded drive (the one that faled was only @18 mo old! The original lasted 8 years!), but befor investing in that I want to make sure all the other equip is still working - mainly network adaptor, IR blaster, downloading from TiVo service, etc.

Thanks in advance
HFChristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

You can do serial PPP. With one of the earliest supported wired Ethernet adapters, the ,#401 code might work.

You could buy Instantcake, or beg for an image for your model in the image thread in the upgrade forum.

The coin cell holds only the time (as in keeps a clock runnung).

The ID off the TiVo is held on a non-volatile crypto chip, which the HDD is married to (error 51 indicates a mismatch - a C&DE fixes that). Your PL account status and MAK is on TiVo's servers, which your TiVo retrieves in its call. All local settings, apart from the time, are held on the HDD.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
HFChristie

That raises the question, then, as to why the TiVo (Series 2) Is telling me I have to activate it, and that it doesn't know the media key. Its been activated for 10 years. It specifically says media key unknown, and lists all zeros for it.

Checking System Info shows most of that information has been wiped, zeroes or <unknown> instead of "real" data.

Thanks for the Instacake reference. I'll check into that.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
HFChristie

Oh, what dies #401 mean, and how do I make it work?

What is C&DE?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFChristie View Post
And, since all telephone lines in neighborhood are digital, it can't talk to TiVo using a phone line.
Did you actually try it, or are you just assuming? Being "digital" doesn't preclude a line from being modem-compatible. In fact, v.90 and v.92 speeds actually require a digital line.

C&DE = "Clear and Delete Everything". You pretty much have to do this when you transplant a drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Oh, what dies #401 mean, and how do I make it work?

What is C&DE?
",#401" (that's comma pound four zero one) in the dial prefix field tells the TiVo to make the connection via the Net rather than dial-up. I have a couple of TiVo 2s that have never been connected to a phone line.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
It specifically says media key unknown, and lists all zeros for it.

Checking System Info shows most of that information has been wiped, zeroes or <unknown> instead of "real" data.
From what I've read here over the years, I would bet the farm you need to do a Clear and Delete everything on that Tivo.

It should be in the Settings menu under Restart or Reset System.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
My tIVo failed, and while trying to diagnose, I removed watch battery on motherboard. That didn't fix it (still stuck on welcome), so I purchased another unit, same model.

After confirming new TiVo worked, I put drive for my original T in replacement. Same problem, although this time it got stuck on Almost There screen.

I then put drive from replacement T in original (lifetime) unit. After a couple tries, it booted into main play list menu. Yoppee!! However, several things popped out immediately;
1. OS on replacement drive is so old, it's missing 1 or 2 of the main menu items. I can't remember which, but it's only showing 4 choices.
2. Evidently, OS is so old it won't recognize the USB ports on my motherboard, so I can't connect to TiVo service. And, since all telephone lines in neighborhood are digital, it can't talk to TiVo using a phone line.
3. Finally, it appears that the watch battery ihad nothing to do with retaining instead of retaining at least some of the network and config settings, but it did keep the media key!

So, here are my questions;
A. Do I need the media key, and other now missing system info, that I lost when I removed the watch battery, to access my lifetime service, or is the needed sn or ID part of the firmware? I can't see any sign of an sn or eid anywhere.
2. Is there a way to upgrade the OS on this drive without using a network or phone connection?

I know I have to eventually get an upgraded drive (the one that faled was only @18 mo old! The original lasted 8 years!), but befor investing in that I want to make sure all the other equip is still working - mainly network adaptor, IR blaster, downloading from TiVo service, etc.

Thanks in advance

What's the model number of that TiVo?

What size is the drive that was in when it started giving trouble?

What size is the drive that was in that second TiVo which you just bought?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote