TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #1441
kevin120

SDV changes for San Antonio 7/24

People in San Antonio should be getting a letter about more channels going SDV on July 24,2012 the channels in the letter are as fallows:

Starting on July 24, 2012, Time Warner Cable will begin providing a number of our existing, lesser-viewed channels via SDV. The list is as follows:
BBC America Digital Basic Channel 225
BIO Digital Basic Channel 206
Bloomberg Television Digital Basic Channel 235
Boomerang Digital Basic Channel 204
Cloo Digital Basic Channel 233
CNBC World Digital Basic Channel 212
CNN International Digital Basic Channel 244
Cooking Channel Digital Basic Channel 214
C-SPAN 3 Digital Basic Channel 236
Current TV Digital Basic Channel 234
Destination America Digital Basic Channel 220
Discovery Fit and Health Digital Basic Channel 219
Disney XD Digital Basic Channel 224
DIY Network Digital Basic Channel 210
FLIX Digital Basic Channel 201
FOX Soccer Channel Digital Basic Channel 223
GAC Digital Basic Channel 238
G4 Digital Basic Channel 207
H2 Digital Basic Channel 237
Hub Digital Basic Channel 216
IFC Digital Basic Channel 308
Investigation Discovery Digital Basic Channel 213
Lifetime Real Women Digital Basic Channel 238
Military Channel Digital Basic Channel 217
MTV2 Digital Basic Channel 231
NBA TV Digital Basic Channel 205
Nick 2 Digital Basic Channel 239
NickJr. Digital Basic Channel 230
NickToons Digital Basic Channel 218
Ovation Digital Basic Channel 203
Science Digital Basic Channel 215
SOAPnet Digital Basic Channel 211
Sundance Channel East Digital Basic Channel 309
Teennick Digital Basic Channel 229
VH1 Classic Digital Basic Channel 221
Tennis Channel Sports Tier Channel 263
Encore East Movie Tier Channel 300
Encore Love East Movie Tier Channel 301
Encore Westerns East Movie Tier Channel 302
Encore Suspense East Movie Tier Channel 303
Encore Action East Movie Tier Channel 304
Encore Drama East Movie Tier Channel 305
Encore Family East Movie Tier Channel 306
FOX Movie Channel Movie Tier Channel 307
CNN en Espanol Multicultural Tier Channel 770
iN Demand 1 PPV Channel 501
HBO 2 East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 321
HBO Signature East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 322
HBO Family East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 323
HBO Comedy East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 324
HBO Zone East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 325
HBO Latino East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 332
MoreMAX East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 341
Action MAX East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 342
Thriller MAX East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 343
WMax East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 338
@Max East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 348
Outer Max East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 339
5 Star Max East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 349
SHO 2 East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 351
SHO Showcase East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 352
SHO Extreme East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 353
SHO Beyond East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 354
SHO Next East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 361
SHO Women East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 362
SHO Family Zone East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 363
STARZ! Edge East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 311
STARZ! In Black East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 312
STARZ! Kids & Family East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 313
STARZ! Cinema East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 314
STARZ! Comedy East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 318
The Movie Channel Xtra East In Time Zone Premium Plex Channel 366
Velocity HD HD Simulcast Channel 130
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #1442
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

They re-aligned the channels like this in Austin already but now I can't tune in any SDV channels at all. I've rebooted and reset everything. Do I have to repeat guided setup to get it to work? I'm thinking I have an old channel lineup and I have to redo the guided setup. Anyone else in Austin having problems since the channel changes?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #1443
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
They re-aligned the channels like this in Austin already but now I can't tune in any SDV channels at all. I've rebooted and reset everything. Do I have to repeat guided setup to get it to work? I'm thinking I have an old channel lineup and I have to redo the guided setup. Anyone else in Austin having problems since the channel changes?
For guided setup to work, the new lineup has to be available on the TiVo servers. The information chain for this is:

Cable Co ==> Tribune Media Services ==> TiVo

There can be delays and errors anywhere along this chain. The available lineups are shown on zap2it.com, which reflects Tribune Media Services data. Go there and enter your location and see what lineups are available. Of course even if you see the new lineup there, it doesn't mean it will have made it onto the TiVo servers yet. But if it isn't there, you can be sure TiVo doesn't have it. When my TWC region changed their lineup, TMS/Zap2It defined a temporary lineup with a different name. Eventually they changed the name to the original name.

Anyway, if you see a zap2it lineup that looks correct, try doing guided setup and selecting that name (if available). It took days and even weeks for some folks to get valid new lineups via guided setup in my region.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #1444
pmiranda

Quote:
I didn't think any channel numbers moved, they just reassigned the static frequencies to SDV ones, which should be handled entirely in the TA.

I don't remember when the change was supposed to happen but I don't think my TA has lost anything yet. Is you TA sub still up to data or did it expire?
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #1445
cableguy763

Quote:
The moves in Austin to sdv happened on Tuesday and the broadcast moves happened on Wednesday. My two ta's and tivo's followed the changes and I didnt have to do anything. If you want to send me the rf mac address of your card(s) and TA I can send them some staging hits for you.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #1446
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Thanks for the staging hits. It's not working and I have a truck roll scheduled. Don't know what the guy can do except maybe replace the tuning adapter. My Tivo just cannot tune in any switched channel no matter what I do. I'm really hoping that nothing is wrong with the Tivo.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #1447
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
I didn't think any channel numbers moved, they just reassigned the static frequencies to SDV ones, which should be handled entirely in the TA.

I don't remember when the change was supposed to happen but I don't think my TA has lost anything yet. Is your TA sub still up to date or did it expire?
Doh! I cursed myself and found both my TAs had silently stopped tuning Monday morning. Luckily for me I was just able to power cycle them and everything just worked after a couple minutes.

Did you try calling the national self-install hotline? They're awesome about fixing every issue I've had in the last year.
(866) 606-5889
Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #1448
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Doh! I cursed myself and found both my TAs had silently stopped tuning Monday morning. Luckily for me I was just able to power cycle them and everything just worked after a couple minutes.

Did you try calling the national self-install hotline? They're awesome about fixing every issue I've had in the last year.
(866) 606-5889
I'm just dreading the truck roll. I have MoCA hooked up to the Elite and a filter at the drop outside and I replaced all the splitters with 2 GHZ plus the stuff is all wired through my sound system and neatly organized to look nice. I'm not looking forward to re-doing everything "to make sure your stuff isn't the problem" when it was working fine before the SDV changes and the problems started immediately after the changes.

I'm not sure the self-install people can possibly do more than the cableguy763 has already done. I'll post the details after it happens.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #1449
Teeps

Quote:
I'm just dreading the truck roll.
Given your stated circumstances it can't hurt to make sure they check the signal to the T/A first thing.
The first problem I had with T/A a year ago; was caused by a squirrel chewing the cable drop on on the pole. They also installed a ground to the electrical service box (current code the tech said) to the line drop.

I feel your pain about having a cable service vendor rooting around in the home theater wiring. Nothing good ever comes of that...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #1450
cwoody222

I think we can count on one hand the times a TA problem was caused by hardware (TA or TiVo) or fixed by a truck roll.

It's 99.99% a setup issue on the Cable Co's end or a software update that can be fixed remotely.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #1451
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Thank you behind the scenes Time Warner technical people. My problem has resolved with the last thing that somebody did. I've cancelled the truck roll and back in business. Yes!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #1452
unitron

Quote:
Thank you behind the scenes Time Warner technical people. My problem has resolved with the last thing that somebody did. I've cancelled the truck roll and back in business. Yes!
TWC has some very nice people working for it.

It's just the corporation itself...

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #1453
cwoody222

Good to hear.

The lesson here (as it's been in the past) is that most all TA problems can be solved remotely, via COMPETENT Time Warner employees. A truck roll or hardware swap is rarely needed.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #1454
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
TWC has some very nice people working for it.

It's just the corporation itself...
Agreed.

A TW agent Barbara was excellent, when I reauthorized the cable cards after upgrading the hdd in my S3.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #1455
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I'm pretty sure it was the cableguy here on the forum working the magic. I was going to disconnect all my own stuff myself so that the tech would really have a clean setup to troubleshoot. Thankfully I did not have to do that. I was able to cancel the truck roll with the automated telephone system. I do not know TW policy on MoCA. It just works so well and much better than any wireless setup I didn't want to lose that, but I'm sure they would have disconnected the MoCA filter at the drop - and it's only there to prevent my MoCA signal from bleeding out into the TW system and/or other homes nearby. But, I'm still in business and everything is working. The TA says there are over 300 SDV channels now. it was in the 200s before. Hoping for the best.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #1456
cwoody222

My father is trying a self-install on his new Premiere. They were able to pair the CableCARD but cannot get the SDV Adapter to go to solid green lights. Of course the operator from TW told him it's a hardware defect and to go get another box (although the local office doesn't stock them).

I'm telling him it's most likely an issue with how she set it up in their system. Any hints?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #1457
Pilot20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
My father is trying a self-install on his new Premiere. They were able to pair the CableCARD but cannot get the SDV Adapter to go to solid green lights. Of course the operator from TW told him it's a hardware defect and to go get another box (although the local office doesn't stock them).

I'm telling him it's most likely an issue with how she set it up in their system. Any hints?
I went through 3 different TAs before TWC finally got their act together (4 truck rolls and 6 techs).

Same issue as yours...no steady green light.

The techs had no idea what they were doing. Finally, after many phone calls, TWC sent out their district tech manager, and after spending about 1/2 hour on the phone to the head-end folks, he got it working.

Prior to getting it working, the techs rewired everything from the poll to the attic since they were certain it was a hardware issue.

It was a very frustrating experience, but it has been working well for the last 2 years.

You just need to find the right person who knows what they are doing. Not always an easy thing to do.
Pilot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #1458
cwoody222

Agreed! Unfortunately my father isn't as patient - or as pushy - as I am.

They tell him "hardware must be bad, go exchange it" and that's what he wants to do even though I'm telling him there's a 99% chance that's complete bull.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #1459
cwoody222

Well, turns out the local store DOES carry the boxes (so... now we have no idea why they didn't GIVE HIM ONE last week when he walked in to upgrade his service and made him wait for the mail instead).

But, the new box is doing the same thing (steady blink) so it wasn't defective hardware. Go figure.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #1460
pmiranda

Is he calling the national self-install toll free line or the local yocals?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #1461
cwoody222

Quote:
Is he calling the national self-install toll free line or the local yocals?
First he called the local yocals. They got the CableCARD working and told him the SDV box was defective.

Then he tried the TiVo CableCARD number and they said they can't help with SDV adapters.

Then he went to exchange the Adapter locally and it's not working either.

Next he's going to try the national self-install line.

I'm chatting with their support online too and they are suggesting a tech visit tomorrow. Gee, maybe the same techs they sent out Saturday to do a TiVo install without a CableCARD or SDV adapter? The same techs that were ordered from the store who didn't just hand him a CableCARD and adapter last week? The same techs who didn't know self-installs were even possible?

Plus, they expedited his card & adapter shipment (2 days, instead of 5-7) only because I bitched and if he agreed to a self-install... but, the self-install is only possible if the phone reps know what they're doing!

Is it almost 2013... why has NOTHING changed in this procedure in so many years?!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #1462
DaveDFW

Quote:
Is it almost 2013... why has NOTHING changed in this procedure in so many years?!
At least in North Texas, TWC has made some big improvements in this process. Tuning adapters are provisioned by the counter folks when you retrieve one at a customer service center, and cablecards are provided without a truck roll and can be paired via a call to the cablecard hotline.

Sorry to hear about your problems--it sounds like not every TWC market has gotten the memo yet.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #1463
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems--it sounds like not every TWC market has gotten the memo yet.
Not defending T/W; but they are, likely, held hostage by the available "local" pool of talent.

I worked tech support, automotive, in a call center for 27 years.
There were a couple dozen agents, all in the same room. Even then it was difficult to keep everyone on the same page.

So I am not surprised at the difference in quality/accuracy of service between different areas.

I suspect T/W takes a body with a pulse off the street. Trains them for a couple of days. Hands them a script, head set and a phone.

Viola! instant agent taking calls.

Woody have your pops try a different USB cable.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #1464
cwoody222

The in stallion tech today got the adapter authorized and now it seems good. So no hardware problems just a operator yesterday who had no idea what she was doing.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #1465
pmiranda

Don't bother with the local idiots or TiVo. Call (866) 606-5889. If they can't solve your issues within half an hour Ill be surprised.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #1466
cwoody222

He called the local number first even though I told him to call the national one. The TiVo number couldn't help with SDV Adapter issues. He wouldn't make a 3rd call (to the national number) because he was too frustrated
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #1467
cwoody222

Spoke too soon... Adapter is authorized but he's getting LESS channel than he did yesterday. So he's got to call them back again.

Friggin' joke.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #1468
tatergator1

I hope you'll be calling the National CableCard number. As mentioned previously, they actually know what they are doing as opposed to the useless local customer support.

You might have to wait on hold for a little while, but they should be able to set you straight.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #1469
Teeps

Quote:
Spoke too soon... Adapter is authorized but he's getting LESS channel than he did yesterday. So he's got to call them back again.

Friggin' joke.

I had similar problems, lack of all expected channels, right after tuning adapter was installed and authorized.

Short Story:
Fault in the home run cable; it was chewed by rodents up at the utility pole.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #1470
Scopeman
Avoiding Premeire

Quote:
Don't bother with the local idiots or TiVo. Call (866) 606-5889. If they can't solve your issues within half an hour Ill be surprised.
Sadly, it appears your half hour estimate is optimitic, given that I have been on hold for 28 minutes. Odds are I can't even ask for help in the two minutes remaining.

It wouldn't be SO bad if this was not just the monthly repeat of the same old TWC issue - come home, find nothing recorded, green light on TA is solid, TiVo appears fine - but look, once again no EMMs. Maybe a yet another truck roll and another pile of new wire, amps, etc. Every guy who shows up tells me the last one was an idiot. It is like watching a clown car slowly unload in front of my house, one at a time, every 30 days or so.

I'm sure my wife won't mind missing Survivor. <sigh>