TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
sasmps
Dirtdober

Tivo Premier not showing correct names of other Tivo HDs in the network

l changed the name of my Tivo HD (moved it to a different room, renamed it on Tivo.com, and activated a new Tivo Premier box) . All boxes see the new name, all boxes see the new name of the new Premier. However, the Premier box shows the old name for the Tivo HD.

I have waited for two weeks (giving it some time) and changed the name again at Tivo HD. No luck, the Premier still shows the old name for the Tivo HD. I did reboot both the Premier and the Tivo HD box, and I forced a connect on the Premier...

Any suggestions?
Tivo HD Upgrade to 1 TB
Tivo HD Upgrade to 1 TB
Tivo Premier XL4
sasmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Sounds like you did all of the right things. Generally, I've found the following order of operation to work:

- Go to Tivo.com and change the name. Give the Tivo servers a few hours to get updated.
- Force a connection on the name changed box. Check System Info to see if the new name is there.
- Do a restart on the name changed box. Seems that the new name does not get communicated to the network server until that happens.
- Give the other boxes a day or two and they should catch up with the new name.
- If all else fails, try restarting your network.

You can also run kmttg and have it automatically look for Tivos on your network. If they show up there, then they should show up everywhere.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
sasmps
Dirtdober

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Sounds like you did all of the right things. Generally, I've found the following order of operation to work:

- Go to Tivo.com and change the name. Give the Tivo servers a few hours to get updated.
- Force a connection on the name changed box. Check System Info to see if the new name is there.
- Do a restart on the name changed box. Seems that the new name does not get communicated to the network server until that happens.
- Give the other boxes a day or two and they should catch up with the new name.
- If all else fails, try restarting your network.

You can also run kmttg and have it automatically look for Tivos on your network. If they show up there, then they should show up everywhere.
Item 3 did the trick.. rebooting the name changed box. I dont know why i thought rebooting the other boxes would fix it. Thank you very much!
Tivo HD Upgrade to 1 TB
Tivo HD Upgrade to 1 TB
Tivo Premier XL4
sasmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmps View Post
Item 3 did the trick.. rebooting the name changed box. I dont know why i thought rebooting the other boxes would fix it. Thank you very much!
Great. I found that step out the hard way. As a retired SW engineer I consider that a bug. Shouldn't have to reboot the box to get it to communicate the new name on the network connection.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
unitron

There was recently a problem with (at least) S3 HDs getting their names changed back to the default despite the owners having changed nothing.

I've twice now in the last month or so had to re-rename mine back to the same thing I renamed it when I got it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote