TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Idearat

The Great Escape "USS Hornet" 7/1/2012

The other thread was marked no spoilers, so I created this one.

When the previews showed an aircraft carrier I thought it might be the Hornet, it's just across the bay from Alcatraz that was in episode 1.

Unfortunately episode 2 didn't improve on episode one. It at least it doesn't look like the getting caught by guards is guaranteed. As these people didn't see the first episode they are either sneakier than the players from the previous episode or the guards were told to back off some. The whole thing seems to take place over an hour or two, one stressful morning, but not the drama they seem to try to hype.

What was most disappointing is how little was mentioned about the Hornet. It's the ship that recovered the Apollo 11 crew. We even saw the Airstream isolation trailer on the hanger deck and all the people just ran past it without taking notice.

Last edited by Idearat : 07-03-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Idearat

I forgot to mention the tool who wanted to put all the blame for not winning on his sister, saying they wouldn't be getting the needed money for their mother because she didn't bring the keycard along.

I hope the producers don't think they'd be a perfect team for TAR.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
ElJay

This was a better game than escaping Alcatraz. It's still missing something... Perhaps what it really needs is Anderson Cooper cracking jokes, a backdrop of Europe, and some overall mystery that everything is leading up to. Also, there needs to be some sort of task that involves playing the song "Tiny Bubbles" over and over.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
sieglinde

I think the difference is, these teams only exist for one show. On the Mole and other shows, the intrigue goes from venue to venue.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Jeff_in_Bklyn

The problem is once the are off Alcatraz or the Ship the game is over, there is no final race to the mat. I can't see one escape boat going faster than the other. Maybe if they had to row or paddle themselves.
Jeff_in_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Agree with Jeff. Once one team raises the balloon (or whatever) the game is basically over. Once that happens it out of the contestants' hands so I can't see them letting a slow boat pilot or something change the outcome.

It looked like Red team got across the water and did the entire "get the money" thing before the Green team's second person could even make it down the rappel: when they announced that Red won they hadn't even blown up their balloon. Very strange. I wonder if they just told them "never mind" once Red team took off in the boat.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Idearat

Maybe they'll "spice it up" in the future episodes where after they escape they'll be instruction to "take a taxi to the finish".
Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I think a big difference here is that each team only plays one episode -- so we don't get a chance to get to know them, have real favorites, etc.