TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #361
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Does anyone know how to reset the Netflix app? Everytime I start it, I see the "Are you a member?" screen in gray and then it immediately asks me for my credit card info as in for a new signup. I am already a Netflix subscriber.

So far, I've tried all of the arrow keys and clear. I've also removed Netflix and re-added it but that did nothing.

Update: I found out that I improperly entered my username the first time. So how can get back to the "Are You A Member?" screen.
After almost a month and a half TiVo/Netflix finally reset my connection to the servers and I was finally able to sign in today and watch a movie. So if anybody had a similar problem accessing Netflix, try it again now.
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #362
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I've used this as my default Netflix player for the past week and aside from a few weird flickering moments in the UI, it's been solid. One complaint is that that, in other implementations of this UI, the FF and REW keys move forward and back through a list 3 titles at a time. My biggest complaint is its use of CLEAR as an app exit key--I define the PAUSE button for TiVo as PAUSE+CLEAR and I've been bitten by that a few times. The PAUSE and PLAY and SELECT buttons do almost exactly the same thing if used during a playing title, so I could train myself to not use PAUSE if I were going to use this app regularly. (I won't--it's not better than my old standard, the Roku 2 XS. If they ever add a good streaming Amazon player and VUDU player, I might--I cannot find all three in full-featured implementations in a single device).

EDIT: One suggestion for this interface on all platforms is that, when I select a television series, I'd like to see a description for the episode that it will play or resume by default instead of a overall description of the series. Show me that description as I scroll over the series while browsing a list that it's in, but once I hit SELECT switch to an episode description. Also I'd suggest that, while a title plays, DOWN could bring up an overlay giving the title and a description. In the Roku 2 interface, DOWN brings up an overlay at the top of the picture giving the title, episode title if there is one, duration, release year and the MPAA or TV rating; all that plus the description would be nice.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 07-01-2012 at 04:21 AM.
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #363
mxcl

I develop apps for a living, been doing it for 12 years. When you write software you adapt your UI to the platform you are on. I do not write Windows software with Mac UI paradigms, I do not write Android apps with an iPhone UI.

Netflix are being absolutely ridiculous forcing the same UI on all platforms. Fitting in on the device in question eases the learning curve for the new and upcoming service they are providing. Over the years ahead more and more people will try Netflix on a device they already own and know how to use. Netflix apparently want their software to feel foreign to these users.

Albeit foreign in a consistent way :P

Case in point: I have struggled to use Netflix on TiVo, trying to use it like I use TiVo in general. I had to read this thread to figure out how to stop playback. I couldn't care less that I now (apparently) know how to stop playback of Netflix on the PS3 or whatever. Retarded.
mxcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #364
aaronwt
HD Addict

But this is the norm now.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #365
alleybj

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Most likely bandwidth.. The App is having issues getting enough speed to maintain the PQ
So, I switched my internet from 6m to 12m and my hookup from using a wireless connector to direct modem hookup, all of this with a new internet providor... and I still get the very frequent switching back and forth in and out of 1080p24; any further thoughts as to why this is happening repeatedly, rather than just once? thanks
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #366
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
So, I switched my internet from 6m to 12m and my hookup from using a wireless connector to direct modem hookup, all of this with a new internet providor... and I still get the very frequent switching back and forth in and out of 1080p24; any further thoughts as to why this is happening repeatedly, rather than just once? thanks
Try changing your DNS Servers in your Router to the Google ones

Although netflix is just getting back online after the storms so you may want to wait a couple of days for everything to right it self out
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #367
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcl View Post
Netflix are being absolutely ridiculous forcing the same UI on all platforms.
Netflix isn't doing anything. Netflix is telling platforms that they can have a ready-made Netflix player UI for the cost of preparing a standard platform layer based on Webkit and HTML5 (TiVo uses an Adobe product with Webkit compliance). I believe that any platform can choose to use Netflix's API to do their own thing. Currently, the only platform choosing to do that is Microsoft, whose Xbox Netflix player has their Metro look-and-feel and can be controlled with voice and gestures via Kinect. I don't think that Netflix cares if the users of various platforms have platform-specific players and if the platform's developers don't care, they give their users the Netflix common UI at minimal cost to themselves. Netflix is making out just fine either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But this is the norm now.
Exactly. As I stated in a previous post, the Hulu Plus UI is absolutely identical on 4 of 5 platforms I have that it runs on (TiVo, PS3, Roku 2, Panasonic BD player); it's only different on Xbox. VUDU is identical on every platform I have it for (Sony, Panasonic BD players and the PS3) except Xbox. Of the big 4 streaming services, only Amazon is different on every platform, and I suspect that's because Amazon's not offering a pre-packaged portable UI like the others.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 07-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #368
alleybj

Quote:

Although netflix is just getting back online after the storms so you may want to wait a couple of days for everything to right it self out
Thanks, I'll see what that does in the long run. So far, it may have helped a bit, but I'm still seeing it switch in and out of 1080p24 numerous times per film.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #369
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I just discovered another deficiency of TiVo's Netflix player versus others with the same GUI (previously we found that FF and REW don't move forward and back by 3 thumbs/titles). This is a biggy: searches in my 2012 BD players and the PS3 are of titles and people (actors, directors, etc) so you look up movies available starring John Travolta or directed by John Landis. Sadly, TiVo can only search titles. (On the devices with the same GUI which can search for people, when you select the SEARCH button, it describes in in the box to the side with "Search for a Movie, TV Show or Person"; TiVo's player describes the button as "Search for a movie or TV show".

It's also something the PS3 and those BD players have over Roku 2, my go to Netflix player. The PS3 is too loud and power hungry and the BD players are too slow--this search thing doesn't make up for those faults .

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #370
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hmm. I've having issues with the Netflix app this morning. It starts to launch and then a message pops up that says it can't connect to Netflix. Then the TiVo reboots. I tried it a second time with the same results. It just rebooted again. I guess I'll try another box and see if the same thing happens.

EDIT: Well that is weird. It came right up on another box.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #371
berkshires

I enjoy the netflix experience on my TiVoHD. Is it possible to get the same interface using the Premiere?

I have a queue about 90. How does one scroll through the queue quickly using the Premiere interface? (ie. TiVoHD uses chan up/down and skip to end)

Thanks.
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #372
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
All I know is I haven't had all the black screens as before (when all resolutions are selected). Now I only have 1080i and 1080p24 checked and it seemed to clear most of the previous problems I had watching Netflix streaming movies.
I spoke too soon. I'm still getting the black screen and then blue screen on certain HD movies. It's totally random where sometimes it works and other times it won't work. It is only this sporadic on HD movies as it works all the times when viewing SD material.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #373
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
It's also something the PS3 and those BD players have over Roku 2, my go to Netflix player. The PS3 is too loud and power hungry and the BD players are too slow--this search thing doesn't make up for those faults .
Yep, same here. I stopped using my PS3 for the same reasons. I finally broke down and bought a standalone Sony bluray player. Netflix app works great with it. Just like on PS. Now my PS3 is for games only. I don't have any issues with speed.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #374
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
I enjoy the netflix experience on my TiVoHD. Is it possible to get the same interface using the Premiere?
No--sorry if you don't like the new UI. Take solace in that you get 1080p video (from HD titles) and 5.1 sound (for titles which have it) from the player on the Premiere. You can also browse a subset of the library, search it and add titles to and delete titles from your Instant Queue. None of this is possible on the TiVo HD.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #375
berkshires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
No--sorry if you don't like the new UI. Take solace in that you get 1080p video (from HD titles) and 5.1 sound (for titles which have it) from the player on the Premiere. You can also browse a subset of the library, search it and add titles to and delete titles from your Instant Queue. None of this is possible on the TiVo HD.
The one big problem I have right now is I don't know how I can scroll through 90 titles reasonably quickly...say to title 40 or 50 in the list...Can go forward and back one at a time so beginning and end of queue are fairly accessible.

Is there user documentation on the Netflix app that would show all the buttons, features etc? I especially haven't learned the non-TiVo-standard remote buttons it uses/doesn't use.
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #376
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
Is there user documentation on the Netflix app that would show all the buttons, features etc? I especially haven't learned the non-TiVo-standard remote buttons it uses/doesn't use.
There's not really a document, but there is some help in a FAQ on TiVo's site here.

Some basics: hit the UP arrow to stop playback and the C or CLEAR buttons to exit the app. Note that the title lists are circular (unlike the old app); you can scroll to the end by going LEFT off the first item and to the beginning by going RIGHT from the last item. (I arrange my IQ with movies on the front and television shows on the back).

This interface is a common one created by Netflix and is present on many different devices. Sadly, TiVo's version is missing some features. In most versions of this UI, while browsing a list of titles (like your IQ) the FF and REW keys would scroll forward or back through the list by 3 title thumbs--doesn't work on TiVo. As I stated above, some of the players have a search for names of people (actors, directors) as well as keyword-in-title; the TiVo version can only search for keyword-in-title. Finally, some versions have a "Just for Kids" alternate UI, restricted to kid-friendly content, presented in a more colorful and somewhat simplified fashion (I don't have kids so not something I care about). Hopefully, some or all of these features will be added in a future version of this GUI.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #377
alleybj

Quote:

Well, that seemed to do nothing. Netflix is still bouncing in and out of 1080p24hz every 20 seconds or so. To reiterate, I have two internet providers (Comcast and ATT, 6 meg and 12 meg). I have two Tivo premieres, one for each internet provider. Each has a wired attachment. The only commonality is that each is outputting to a (different) Sharp tv. Any thoughts? thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #378
Vadoctor

netflix changes

i dont understand this at all, i am used to the old tivo netflix app with a folder under my shows. now i have to go to video on demand, it is asking me for my email address and password which is very difficult to enter using the remote, then taking me to a web browser like screen . i exited the program, re entered it and it is asking for my email and password again. am i really suppose to type in my email and password each time or am i missing something. customer service at tivo is useless about this, i have contacted them 3 times and got 3 different responses
Vadoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #379
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadoctor View Post
am i really suppose to type in my email and password each time or am i missing something. customer service at tivo is useless about this, i have contacted them 3 times and got 3 different responses
That's some kind of bug. On any device you should only have to log into your Netflix account once to register the device and not again unless you go to your Netflix account in a web browser and unregister all devices (it used to be that you could unregister a single device but that was too easy ).

Netflix (and Hulu Plus and YouTube) are all present at the bottom of the My Shows menu, though they don't appear as folders. All you have to do is hit TiVo-TiVo-SkipForward-UP (where SkipForward is "->|") to get to Netflix.

(I've suggest that, since the "TiVo-<digit>" mappings only go up to "TiVo-5", they should map TiVo-6-thru-9 to some apps, Netflix being one of them, or give us a setting to map them custom. Perhaps remapping TiVo-0 should be an option).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #380
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts
Netflix (and Hulu Plus and YouTube) are all present at the bottom of the My Shows menu, though they don't appear as folders. All you have to do is hit TiVo-TiVo-SkipForward-UP (where SkipForward is "->|") to get to Netflix.
That's only in the HD menus. They aren't in the SD menus, which it sounds like Vadoctor is using.

You can unregister individual devices from Netflix, but you have to do it on the device. For TiVo it's from the System Info menus.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #381
bbwizard95

Angry Spreading the technology

Lowering of American standards here. TiVo allows Netflix to reduce its much better GUI to the substandard minimum button type instead of embracing improvement of their standard for other devices.
I have a Roku which has to use this syandard due to button shortage and hated the difference then. Worse now because the buttons on TiVo no longer make any sense, and there are so many great functions gone.

Oh well we will all be "even" soon with no need for that pesky old American attitude for developing better things.
bbwizard95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #382
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwizard95 View Post
Oh well we will all be "even" soon with no need for that pesky old American attitude for developing better things.
¿Qué?

"
" -- hookbill