TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #2131
pacor

Question about Verizo cable cards and TIVO HD

I have a TIVO HD with a verizon cable card working. I have another TIVO HD in a different room with no cable card, just antena. Can I move the cable card from one TIVO HD to the other without having to have a Verizon tech come by? It is just as easy as get the card out of one TIVO and insert it on the other and do the setup?
pacor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #2132
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

The cablecards are designed to be paired with the Tivo. If they are then you cannot move the card between them. I believe Verizon pairs them, so no you can't do what you're suggesting.

And you probably don't want to either. For one you run the risk of the socket getting worn out or damaged by pulling/replacing the card all the time. Then there's the disruption of the service, you'll have the Tivo without the card getting confused about what channels it can get.

If you've got a Tivo HD then it only needs one M-type cablecard.

The cards rent cheap, just rent it from verizon.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #2133
SoBayJake

Unless it's a new policy, Verizon does NOT pair them. I have moved all my cards around as recently as 2 months ago without issue.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #2134
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacor View Post
I have a TIVO HD with a verizon cable card working. I have another TIVO HD in a different room with no cable card, just antena. Can I move the cable card from one TIVO HD to the other without having to have a Verizon tech come by? It is just as easy as get the card out of one TIVO and insert it on the other and do the setup?
When you say "just antenna" do you have cable running to that thing or not?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #2135
teasip

Verizon doesn't pair but why would you want to move them unless you were having issues and wanting to exclude the CC's as a potential source? Same question as unitron, coax from Verizon splitter to TV or an actual OTA antenna on the second TiVo? I'm using the Verizon feed to a third TV without a converter box or CC just to get the QAM locals.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #2136
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake View Post
Unless it's a new policy, Verizon does NOT pair them. I have moved all my cards around as recently as 2 months ago without issue.
It is a (relatively) new policy, and they do pair them. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that you can't move them -- I think a paired card moved to a different unit will just act the same as an unpaired card. And on Fios, an unpaired card is sufficient, since all channels (except 131/1952) have CCI = 0.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #2137
deepthinker

This is all changing as of July 31st. I just got a letter in the mail from Verizon today and have found one other online so far saying your card must be activated and that starting July 31st they will be enforcing the copy once broadcast flags. I don't see how to attach my own scan of the PDF, but someone on another forum has scanned the letter already.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...O_LTR_v1r4.pdf
deepthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #2138
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthinker View Post
This is all changing as of July 31st. I just got a letter in the mail from Verizon today and have found one other online so far saying your card must be activated and that starting July 31st they will be enforcing the copy once broadcast flags. I don't see how to attach my own scan of the PDF, but someone on another forum has scanned the letter already.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...O_LTR_v1r4.pdf
I saw the same thing in an engadet article and was coming to post that.

I'll miss being able to backup anything to my computer. Hopefully Verizon will apply the copy protection bits sparingly; but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #2139
dgb99

It'll be interesting to see if my TV goes out...

I have an original Series 3 Tivo that I basically did the Cablecard installation on when I first got it because the 'installer' had no idea what he was doing. Neither did I really but I had some helpful guides from these forums. No idea if I did it 'right' back then other than that it worked.

Sometime in the last year, the hard drive died and I replaced it with a new hard drive from Weaknees. I figured I would have to redo the Cablecard procedure but was surprised that it worked right from poweron.

Now if I go to channel 131 like the flyer says, I get a canned commercial which, again based on the flyer, indicates I should not have to do anything. However, the error message looked familiar so I went through the Tivo menus to the Cablecard pairing menus and I can see that exact message.

So who's taking bets on whether my FIOS TV will work on August 1st? Based on Verizon's outstanding customer support and communication methods, I'm guessing it will not work...
dgb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #2140
SoBayJake

At least someone at Verizon seems to understand the CCI byte!

Most local cable headend support people don't seem to. I know Verizon has the super headends, so since they (hopefully) set the CCI byte there for just the channels they went, and local channels shouldn't have it set, we might get lucky.

Cross your fingers (or TiVo antennae!)

Nonunsed Series 2s
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #2141
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb99
It'll be interesting to see if my TV goes out...

I have an original Series 3 Tivo that I basically did the Cablecard installation on when I first got it because the 'installer' had no idea what he was doing. Neither did I really but I had some helpful guides from these forums. No idea if I did it 'right' back then other than that it worked.

Sometime in the last year, the hard drive died and I replaced it with a new hard drive from Weaknees. I figured I would have to redo the Cablecard procedure but was surprised that it worked right from poweron.

Now if I go to channel 131 like the flyer says, I get a canned commercial which, again based on the flyer, indicates I should not have to do anything. However, the error message looked familiar so I went through the Tivo menus to the Cablecard pairing menus and I can see that exact message.

So who's taking bets on whether my FIOS TV will work on August 1st? Based on Verizon's outstanding customer support and communication methods, I'm guessing it will not work...
It should still work. It would only be an issue on certain premium channels if the CC is not paired to the TiVo.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #2142
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb99 View Post
Wouldn't hurt to double-check with both tuners if you're using 2 cards. If you're seeing content on 131 (looping Fios info) then you're fine. It's paired.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #2143
jon96cobra

I just got Fios from having Comcast. I just got my first bill and the cable cards price is 3.99 per card. I have a Series 3 so I have to have the 2 cards. I also have a series 2 Toshiba connected to a Digital adapter for the bedroom TV. I just have the double play with internet. I don't see the discount for the Tivo box like I did with Comcast on the bill. What should the line item say for the discount since I'm using my own boxes?
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #2144
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon96cobra
I just got Fios from having Comcast. I just got my first bill and the cable cards price is 3.99 per card. I have a Series 3 so I have to have the 2 cards. I also have a series 2 Toshiba connected to a Digital adapter for the bedroom TV. I just have the double play with internet. I don't see the discount for the Tivo box like I did with Comcast on the bill. What should the line item say for the discount since I'm using my own boxes?
There is no discount. Each cable card is $3.99. Whether you have one or eight. It's still a lot less than what Comcast charges since Comcast has a digital outlet fee for each device.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #2145
jtkohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthinker View Post
This is all changing as of July 31st. I just got a letter in the mail from Verizon today
I got one of those letters too. Made the mistake of trying to follow the instructions
First evening wasted: could not pair the existing two s-cards in my S3. VZ sent replacement cards via UPS
Second evening wasted: swapped in the new cards, was able to activate them (and see encrypted subscribed channels, such as HGTV, etc.)
But channel 131 showed cards not paired.
Wasted an hour on the phone with a rep who couldn't find any way to pair them. He deauthorized and reauthorized, but now I get only unencrypted channels. Tech coming tomorrow morning. Perhaps he'll be able to pair them?
Or at least restore my subscribed channels
jtkohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #2146
Thos19

Like jtkohl, I tried to work with Verizon via phone to pair the two Motorolla cable cards (M-Cards in my case.) Everything had worked fine, prior. He deauthorized and reauthorized twice, and now I get only unencrypted channels on one card, while the other says it has no signal at all. The tech said his screen told him both cards were "active" on his end.

Gotta wait until Saturday for a tech visit.

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #2147
jtkohl

In my case, the tech came by with two M cards. He took out the two S cards I had, put in the M cards, spent some time doing something (while I did work in the other room), and about 45 mins later all channels were working and pairing was complete. He took the two S cards with him in exchange.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #2148
billys9319

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkohl View Post
In my case, the tech came by with two M cards. He took out the two S cards I had, put in the M cards, spent some time doing something (while I did work in the other room), and about 45 mins later all channels were working and pairing was complete. He took the two S cards with him in exchange.

I tried 6 S-Cards and all would not pair but when Verizon shipped a M-Card by mistake it paired right away. I now have two M-cards and both are paired. Looks like Verizon S-Card will not pair for some reason.
billys9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #2149
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

I believe it's only the actual Series 3 model, and not the Tivo HD or others that require more than one M-card. We've got two Tivo HD models here, each has only one M-card. Previously they had two S-cards each but when Verizon came out with M-card support I had them swapped out (and now only pay one card rental each instead of two).
Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #2150
klj
Tivo Challenged

wasn't sure where to dump this so i figured i would try here. i have a tivo hd and the "fios prime hd" package. i upgraded to the "fios extreme hd" package to get more of the sports stations.

my question is do i need to run setup again or just sit back and wait to get the additional stations?
klj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #2151
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj View Post
wasn't sure where to dump this so i figured i would try here. i have a tivo hd and the "fios prime hd" package. i upgraded to the "fios extreme hd" package to get more of the sports stations.

my question is do i need to run setup again or just sit back and wait to get the additional stations?
Once the CableCARD gets authorized you will be fine as long as the channels are checked under the channel settings on TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #2152
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billys9319 View Post
I tried 6 S-Cards and all would not pair but when Verizon shipped a M-Card by mistake it paired right away. I now have two M-cards and both are paired. Looks like Verizon S-Card will not pair for some reason.
The old S cards used to work. I used to have eight of them from FiOS. WIth six of them in my three S3(OLED) boxes I had at the time and two in a TiVoHD. But at some point I changed them all out to M-cards.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #2153
billys9319

I could get all the channels with the S-cards but for 131 which means they were not paired correctly and would stop working in August. I could only get 2 M-Cards to pair correctly in my Series 3 Tivo.
billys9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #2154
PatMcNJ

Hi all. Thinking of finally dumping Cablevision for FIOS.....

I have some stupid questions, so bear with me. Will FIOS mean I no longer have to deal with hooking up a tuning adaptor to get some stations? (not even connected now, it is tricky to get working and I had to get a new Tivo(Elite!) a few months back, and have not bothered with it yet). I think I STILL did not get some stations, even with the Tuning adaptor, but who cares I guess.

Second, can you get on Demand programming using the Tivo with FIOS? Could not get it with Cablevision, without the cable box.

Last, I have the Apple airport router, I love it, just so flawless. I have to ditch that and use Verizons router? I read this thread and so mention of ways to use both routers, but I did not understand the posts, too technical for me.

I asked the Verizon rep some of these questions, over the phone, and I could sense his eyes glazing over, and face going blank as soon as I said "Cable Cards". He kept offering me a "free" Fios DVR, and I kept saying I did NOT want one. I have an Elite, Series 3 (just repaired by Weaknees), and a couple of Series 2s, and 3 of them have lifetime service).

THANKS for your responses in advance. I have the Optimum service, and one thing I would miss is watching live TV on my iPhone and iPad, it is pretty cool....
PatMcNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #2155
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

FIOS needs no tuning adapters.

No, you cannot currently use FIOS VOD with a Tivo.

If you're not using any FIOS set top boxes then, yes you can use your Airport instead. If you need to use any FIOS boxes then you WILL have to use their router. But there are various ways to configure things to allow continued use with your Airport.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #2156
jtkohl

Anybody done tests to see which channels now have CCI restrictions on them, after the pairing deadline has passed?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #2157
rage777

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcNJ View Post
Last, I have the Apple airport router, I love it, just so flawless. I have to ditch that and use Verizons router? I read this thread and so mention of ways to use both routers, but I did not understand the posts, too technical for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
If you're not using any FIOS set top boxes then, yes you can use your Airport instead. If you need to use any FIOS boxes then you WILL have to use their router. But there are various ways to configure things to allow continued use with your Airport.
wkearney99 is correct, but that is the one thing I really love about the Fios Actiontec routers - MoCA. Having an older home, this is the best way to get network capability to all my computers and Tivos. The Actiontec routers are pretty cheap and it is easy to setup the MoCA.
rage777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #2158
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkohl View Post
Anybody done tests to see which channels now have CCI restrictions on them, after the pairing deadline has passed?
None yet, here. See here for updates:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=489184

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #2159
cyberbeach
Mere member

HBO Down on one tv

When I go to any HBO channel on my LR Tivo Series 3, it shows the Activate cable card screen / clear to exit. The BR no problem.

I called FIOS. 30 minutes waiting on hold.

The Verizon support rep said that his "documentation" shows that Series 3 is no longer compatible with HBO. He said that, not me.

He supposedly pushed a cable-card refresh but I see no changes.

Verizon originally took several days and hours of my time to get HBO to work with my M-card.

WIRED .... 2013 RoPro, Minis (FIOS)
RETIRED . 2012 XL4'S, STREAMS, 2009 HD XL's, 2007 HR10-250's, 2002 SAT T60's, 1996 SAT A1's
DESIRED . 2020 Tivo 32K 96fps 3D Holodecks (Verizon-WarnerCast)
cyberbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #2160
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeach View Post
When I go to any HBO channel on my LR Tivo Series 3, it shows the Activate cable card screen / clear to exit. The BR no problem.

I called FIOS. 30 minutes waiting on hold.

The Verizon support rep said that his "documentation" shows that Series 3 is no longer compatible with HBO. He said that, not me.

He supposedly pushed a cable-card refresh but I see no changes.

Verizon originally took several days and hours of my time to get HBO to work with my M-card.
Did they ask for the Host ID, etc? If not, the cards aren't paired, and they need to be re-paired. Just pushing a refresh won't do anything if things aren't in the system right.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Premiere XL (lifetime)