TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
rgbrown

Humax Tivo with out-of-date software, can't connect.

Short version: Humax, too old for WiFi, can't connect by phone, need newer TiVo software.

Complete version: I have a fairly old-model Humax TiVo with DVD (series 2 with 40 GB drive) that we bought on sale 2-3 years ago but only just got around to buying service for. When we hooked it up and tried to connect to TiVo, we were unsuccessful, either through the phone line or over the network. We talked to TiVo support, and it became gradually clear that the problem is twofold: We can't connect over the network because the TiVo software on our unit is too old to know how to use WiFi (even a TiVo-branded WiFi adapter), and we can't connect over the phone because the toll-free numbers and many local numbers no longer work in Canada. I've taken the drive out and hooked it up to an old PC and have managed to boot with the WeaKnees MFSTool CD, so I've got the hardware configuration worked out, and the Linux aspect of things is not a problem, but what I still don't have access to is up-to-date TiVo software. I do have a perfectly fine and up-to-date Series 2 that connects just fine over the network.

So, what I need to know is this: How can I get updated TiVo software onto my Humax unit using either my regular Series 2 unit or the internet? Can I use the MFSTool CD and just copy everything over from my Series 2 drive? Does InstantCake have what's needed? Some other product? Somebody who just happens to have an appropriate .iso image they can link me to? I have read through a lot of stuff, but I'm not at all clear on issues like compatibility and whether things like InstantCake have enough of what's needed--I don't want to go through an extensive update of the drive from the Humax unit to find it still doesn't have what it needs to connect to TiVo.

Thanks in advance,
Russell
rgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
dwit

The best solution will be to acquire the image(OS) with the more up to date software. There is a thread here in the Update Center forum to help those like yourself connect with others willing to provide the approprite image. Usually the image will be provided in the form of a file to download.

Your last resort will to buy the Instant Cake image via cd or download. They most likely have the appropriate image. Pretty expensive solution relative to the value of your Tivo, but if you choose to go that route, it's there.

Hopefully, you will find help here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=388695

ps: Your other Series 2 is no help in this matter.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
rgbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
The best solution will be to acquire the image(OS) with the more up to date software. There is a thread here in the Update Center forum to help those like yourself connect with others willing to provide the approprite image. Usually the image will be provided in the form of a file to download.

Your last resort will to buy the Instant Cake image via cd or download. They most likely have the appropriate image. Pretty expensive solution relative to the value of your Tivo, but if you choose to go that route, it's there.

Hopefully, you will find help here: (url removed because not enough posts, *sigh*)

ps: Your other Series 2 is no help in this matter.
Thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.

Relative to the cost of the TiVo with a lifetime sub, $40 is not so bad. Wife already dropped on that (the thing worked fine when we plugged it in after we first bought it, back when the phone numbers worked but we didn't have the cash for the lifetime, so it seemed reasonable). Also relative to my blood pressure.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbrown View Post
Thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.

Relative to the cost of the TiVo with a lifetime sub, $40 is not so bad. Wife already dropped on that (the thing worked fine when we plugged it in after we first bought it, back when the phone numbers worked but we didn't have the cash for the lifetime, so it seemed reasonable). Also relative to my blood pressure.
Chances are good that someone will provide, or point you to an image, in the upgrade forum(or maybe here, after seeing your thread).

If you go the IC route, please do your due diligence, as the sale is final, and there is essentially no support(last I read). That said, not knowing any better, and when it was only $20, I used IC to upgrade my first 2 Tivos, and it worked perfectly. That was about 6 years+ ago though.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 06-29-2012 at 02:18 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
borderline

You can enter a local number as a dial prefix in the phone settings. If you give me your area code, I can give you a list of the available dial-up numbers.
borderline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
rgbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderline View Post
You can enter a local number as a dial prefix in the phone settings. If you give me your area code, I can give you a list of the available dial-up numbers.
Tried that, with no luck. For one thing, the nearest number that even answers is a long distance call, and for whatever reason the TiVo doesn't seem to want to connect to it.