TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
emkorial

If I switch cable providers, will my season pass auto update?

I'm ditching FIOS and moving to Comcast next week. I've read mixed reports on whether or not the Season Pass will auto update. Anyone care to share thier experiences?
emkorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkorial View Post
I'm ditching FIOS and moving to Comcast next week. I've read mixed reports on whether or not the Season Pass will auto update. Anyone care to share thier experiences?
Mine had no issue when I switched from Comcast to FiOS. The Season Passes switched to recording from the new channel numbers. Although if I looked at the SPs it would still show the old channel numbers from Comcast. So I eventually re-entered my SPs to reflect the new channel numbers to make it less confusing for me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
blackngold75

When I moved from FiOS to Comcast my season passes did pick up the new channel numbers. However, I don't recall if they picked up the HD versions of the channels or not. You'll probably want to check your passes to confirm all is well. I ended up re-creating many of mine.

Last edited by blackngold75 : 06-29-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
mattack

I wouldn't be surprised if the SP transferring algorithms did something like wishlists do -- pick the lowest numbered channel that qualifies.. and since the SD channels are typically (always?) lower #ed than the HD ones, if the SD channels are enabled, people who prefer the HD recordings are bummed.. (So just turning off SD channels is one solution, though I guess you would do that AFTER the SP transferral has already happened...)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
alansh

I think the season passes are linked to the channel names, like "DSCHD" (Discovery HD) rather than the channel numbers.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
I think the season passes are linked to the channel names, like "DSCHD" (Discovery HD) rather than the channel numbers.
I think that is the case as well, which leads to issues if the two cable systems don't use the same names for the channels, like "DSCHD" vs "DISCHD". So once you have made the cutover it is definitely worth checking to see if your SPs have made the change.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
ybtrue

I moved from one Comcast market to another (60 miles difference). I had to redo all of my local channel season passes because the channel names were different. The others worked just fine.
ybtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Once a year I've been taking my TiVo to the beach. Each time I rerun guided setup to change the location and cable provider and the season passes work just fine in the new location.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Philmatic

Depends, if you are in the same Market, you *should* be fine.

But if you are moving to a different market it's iffy... I recently switched from Comcast in Northern California to Cox in Southern California and it picked up most of the cable channels without trouble because they use the same call sign (CCHD in Comcast is CCHD in Cox), but local OTA channels break because the call sign is completely different, and they should be as they are different channels.

Regardless of your situation, I would definitely double check them after you set up the new provider and CableCard authorization. If the channel updated and the call sign is the same, you should be fine.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Once a year I've been taking my TiVo to the beach.
Have you taught it to surf, yet?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Have you taught it to surf, yet?
Once I figure out how to properly apply sunscreen to it I'm planning to.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
peterkronenberg

I'm switching from Comcast to FIOS in a few days. I just called Tivo and they told me that I would definitely have to redo my Season Passes. That it goes by the number, not the name of the channel. So I'm glad to read the comments here that that doesn't seem to be the case. I hope so. I don't want to have to re-enter 100 season passes.
I'm in Northern Virginia, if that makes a difference.
peterkronenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

When I moved within a market, the season passes worked on a new provider. When I moved from Texas to Kentucky, the local channel passes had to be redone, but the cable channel passes continued to work just fine.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
bshrock

When I switched providers most of the season passes followed the move to the new channel number. A few of the season passes that were on HD channels ended up on the SD channel so some tweaking will be needed.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote