TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
logicman

Smile TiVo for Android Tablets

TiVo releases Android app, countless tablets to be lost under couch cushions

It's listed as TiVo for Tablets in Google Play.
logicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
markp99
TakoKichi

Grabbed the app. Looking forward to dumping the portrait-only phone app.

Found my Premier XL rirght away, but sadly, the app is not liking my media access key. Also signed-in to TiVo.com, seemed to get me closer, but then the app gave me nothing but Force Close errors.

Oh well, not quite ready for primetime.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7510 wifi version)
Honeycomb v3.2
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
atmuscarella

The new App was not working last night on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. It would load and find all my TiVos but continually crashed when I tried to connect to any of them.

Will try it again tonight, hopefully the problem works itself out.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
fdisker2000

Unfortunately, TiVo has Stopped.

Same here (Asus Transformer). It finds my two Premieres but will not connect. Funny thing is the phone app that I side-loaded connects and works fine (not very pretty though).
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

I had this happen until I uninstalled the phone version.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
atmuscarella

Well played with this on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7.0 some more - still does not work.

I have/had 2 TiVo apps installed:
  1. TiVo - the older remote app from TiVo
  2. TiVo for Tablets - this new app

With both apps installed the newer TiVo for Tablets will find my TiVos on my network and the Info, Browse & Mange buttons at the bottom work. The Guide and My Shows buttons do not (spinning circles for ever). Also the remote control in the new app works.

If I remove the older TiVo app the newer app can then no longer find the TiVos on my network I can log into my TiVo account and the the Guide and Browse buttons at the bottom work (the others are Xed out).

I have removed and install the apps several times and I have not found away to actually get everything to work the way it should and I would say it is pretty useless as is.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
poofy

Removed the old app and installed the new one on Toshiba Thrive (Honey Comb), Galaxy tab2 10.1 (ics) and Archos 80 g9(ics).

Works perfect on all three tablets.
The only thing is that under My Shows, it has 4-5 lines of "to be announced" , you have to scroll down a little to see the recorded shows.
poofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

I should be a little more specific with my device and the steps I used in case others have issues.

My unit is a Xoom running ICS. I had the "Unfortunately" message at some specific screens. I then uninstalled the phone version and restarted my Xoom. No issues since.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Awww! It's incompatible with all of my devices. Not too surprising inasmuch as my only tablet is my Nook Color running Android 2.3 from an SD card . I'm waiting for the $250-or-less 7" Tegra 3 devices that are suppose to hit the market this summer--maybe the TiVo app will have matured a little by the time I get it.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
agredon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Awww! It's incompatible with all of my devices. Not too surprising inasmuch as my only tablet is my Nook Color running Android 2.3 from an SD card . I'm waiting for the $250-or-less 7" Tegra 3 devices that are suppose to hit the market this summer--maybe the TiVo app will have matured a little by the time I get it.
You can install a full Android OS on a Nook Color. But, you will have a h*ll of a time getting any apps because Google makes it virtually impossible to install the marketplace on anything not on their list of approved devices. The only way I'm able to get any apps at all was by installing the Amazon Marketplace which has a more limited selection of apps and isn't as an*l about what devices its installed on. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if companies would simply offer the option of downloading the .apk directly instead of forcing you to use Google's Marketplace.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

As alluded to above, I run one of the CyanogenMod versions from a dual booting Micro SD card that I bought off the shelf. It's compatible with quite a range of titles from the Google Play store and Amazon, but not everything and not this (not every Android device is compatible with everything).

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 06-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
jdgarrido
JD305

Can someone please post the .apk file.

Thanks ahead of time.
jdgarrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

This is like Dejavu all over again. I install the TiVo for Android Tablets on my Xoom. Start it, it does the stupid "Scanning for TiVo boxes" and finds nothing. Ho hum. Click on the help links, which all point to the PHONE version of the software, not the tablet version. And they offer no real help except to tell the user to reboot. There is a toolbox with some manual stuff, which is not explained (especially the port number- host is obvious) so I ignored it for now.

So, I reboot, and have a terrible time with the Slide remote connecting, for the first time. After unplugging the dongle multiple times and removing the batteries multiple times, I get that working again.

Then I try the tablet app again. This time it finds the Premiere. And it asks me for the media key, which I enter, then it scans again and says "Unfortunately, TiVo has stopped:" (the app crashed, I suppose), then it tries again automatically, and says it again, while below that dialog box it says "Box Not Responding- press OK to try again" (which you can only get to by dismissing the crash box on top of it first". So I try again and this time it finds the box and says it is "ready". So I choose it and the app crashes again with "Unfortunately, TiVo has stopped. OK".

So I abort the program. Then I uninstall the phone program version I had installed previously. Then try the tablet version again. Then it FINALLY connects. What a mess.

Just for giggles, I exit the app and restart it. Yep- still have to WAIT for scanning, WAIT to select the Premiere, WAIT again. But it did, eventually work. Who is designing this stuff???
Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by agredon View Post
You can install a full Android OS on a Nook Color. But, you will have a h*ll of a time getting any apps because Google makes it virtually impossible to install the marketplace on anything not on their list of approved devices. The only way I'm able to get any apps at all was by installing the Amazon Marketplace which has a more limited selection of apps and isn't as an*l about what devices its installed on. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if companies would simply offer the option of downloading the .apk directly instead of forcing you to use Google's Marketplace.
You might try 1Mobile Market as a 3rd option (I downloaded it from Cnet). I have an 8" Pandigital SuperNova and was able to get Google Play installed and use it as my first choice but apps are limited. Amazon Marketplace is my second choice and then 1Mobile Market my third. So far it seems like one of those choices allows my to find what I need and helps keep them updated without downloading APK's directly.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Thanks,
Getting it for my vizio now

it won't accept my MAK.

Never mind. Got it.

Last edited by scandia101 : 06-24-2012 at 04:30 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
This is like Dejavu all over again. [...] Who is designing this stuff???
So I picked up the tablet to use it for real tonight with the "tablet" version for the first time since installing/testing it (see above). Now it can't find the TiVo at all, AGAIN. I give up.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #17
atmuscarella

Quote:
So I picked up the tablet to use it for real tonight with the "tablet" version for the first time since installing/testing it (see above). Now it can't find the TiVo at all, AGAIN. I give up.
My story is pretty much the same as yours tried using it again last night and it couldn't find any of my TiVos. I have to consider this a pretty big failure by TiVo add to that the issues I have had with OTA reception with my Premiere over the last few weeks (versus getting acceptable reception on my Series 3 TiVo) and I am not really very happy. Oh well it is only TV.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
DonaldBurns65144

seems to work okay on our Kindle Fire
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
OK, this is odd.

* I can't access it on my phone anymore.

* I also can't access the web page for it: https://192.168.1.4/nowplaying/index.html

* I can't access it with kmttg (which just uses the above address, anyway)

* Nor can I ping it.

Unit passes all self tests and shows the above IP address. I can also use pyTiVo with it fine. What am I missing here????
Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #20
markp99
TakoKichi

Tried again tonite, changed nothing. This time, the app found my XL and connected. After 3-4 Force Close errors, the app seemed to work as expected

The TiVo controls seemed instantaneous; swipe gestures work nicely. Some of the content (images, collections) seemed a bit laggy.

I could not use the keypad to make entries into a YouTube search, which was a little disappointing.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Will this work with the Kindle Fire? I see it won't allow me to install it on my cell phone.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #22
compnurd

Kindle Fire App has been out since January. Works ok
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd
Thanks.
I've been using that one on my cell phone and Kindle Fire. I thought this might have been a newer version.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Thanks.
I've been using that one on my cell phone and Kindle Fire. I thought this might have been a newer version.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
according to amazons website, it hasnt been updated since then
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
In this thread people are mostly talking about the new TiVo for Android Tablets app., released on 6/21/12.

For everyone with 7 inch tablets if you look under the "Whats New" tab it says:
"Initial Release for tablet devices (larger than 7 inches)"
Which may explain why some of us with 7in tablets can not get it to work correctly.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #26
HerronScott

Found the APK and installed it on my 8" Pandigital SuperNova last night. Initially had issues with "Force close" errors, finding the TiVo's and bringing up the guide data but those went away after I power cycled the tablet.

Now it seems to be working correctly at least to the extent that it's supposed to with my 2 S3 TiVo's (no Premiere here). It did initially complain that it was designed to work with a 1280x800 display (800x600 on this tablet). The remote display alignment is much better although the Guide button is pretty thin which could be a result of the resolution of my tablet. Also, some of the words for the "Guide", "Browse", etc options at the bottom are half cut-off presumably for the same reason.

Note that I do still have the old TiVo app still installed as well.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
jacindc

The app has been working fine for me on my Acer Iconia 510, once I uninstalled the phone app. I ran into a problem when i searched for Frontline and tried to record an episode. Got all the way to the end, but then got an error 0x30001. Some more sleuthing showed big holes in my PBS guide data on the XL4 itself - Frontline doesn't show up at all, on any of the multiple PBS stations I receive, and there are clear gaps in the PBS data when browsing the guide. (And other channels)

It's a pretty new box. Should I run guided setup again?
jacindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I get force close on every action, but acknowledge error, and action works. It's a pain. I have the other app installed, and that works fine.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Mine still can't find the TiVo at all. Not happy.
Since it has been days and still no app, no ping, and no kttmg, I rebooted the [otherwise working] Premiere. Now incoming connections work again- everything above now works. The question is- for how long?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #30
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I think I'm going to buy that new Google Nexus 7 to replace my Nook Color. I might wait a bit to see if Asus produces the MeMO 370t that the Nexus 7 is a feature-reduced version of--probably not . Perhaps by the time that I get it TiVo will have produced a 7" compatible version of this.

"
" -- hookbill