TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

NFL shifting second game of doubleheaders to 4:25 ET

This is REALLY going to screw up CBS' Sunday night schedule. I hope (but I doubt) that CBS finally gets smart and does what Fox does, not schedule anything concrete during the 7-8 hour and shows a highlights package instead. There is some reason why they insist on 60 Minutes starting before 8PM on Sundays. I am not sure what that is. I watch 60 Minutes, but think they could table it until the season is over, and perhaps schedule special editions on weeks where there is no late game.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
mwhip
All better

Old people...old people love 60 Minutes and don't they go to bed at 8pm?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Football running over and the inflexibility of 60 minutes has screwed up so many SPs for CBS shows on Sunday night. My wife loves The Good Wife and it's fortunate for her we also watched CSI Miami so we could catch the overruns. But at least 4 or 5 CSI Miamis were recorded without the ending leaving us to go to the web if we wanted to see what happened.

I agree that FOX has the better model, and I never thought I would be saying that out loud.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
Football running over and the inflexibility of 60 minutes has screwed up so many SPs for CBS shows on Sunday night. My wife loves The Good Wife and it's fortunate for her we also watched CSI Miami so we could catch the overruns. But at least 4 or 5 CSI Miamis were recorded without the ending leaving us to go to the web if we wanted to see what happened.

I agree that FOX has the better model, and I never thought I would be saying that out loud.
We had a similar issue, but after the first time, I just padded the recording by 90 minutes.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

This seems to be good news for people that actually watch the doubleheaders and want to see the conclusion of the early game before they cut away to show the late game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

From a football fan standpoint, I love it. From a fan of CBS Sunday night shows, I hate it. The scrambling to pad stuff is always annoying. I normally record the first 3 hours of CBS (yes I'm an old fogey and enjoy 60 Minutes) so padding into 10 o'clock has sometimes been a challenge considering sometimes there are two ten o'clock shows on other networks I might want to record and then have to make a choice.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
From a football fan standpoint, I love it. From a fan of CBS Sunday night shows, I hate it. The scrambling to pad stuff is always annoying. I normally record the first 3 hours of CBS (yes I'm an old fogey and enjoy 60 Minutes) so padding into 10 o'clock has sometimes been a challenge considering sometimes there are two ten o'clock shows on other networks I might want to record and then have to make a choice.
Yeah, in that case (only two tuners) you have some choices to make. I wound up getting 4 tuners, and eventually 6 tuners.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
mwhip
All better

The advantage FOX has is they don't have programming after 10pm leaves lots of options open.

I think has technology gets better you will see shows coming from the internet anyway as onDemand gets bigger. So it does not matter if football runs 45 minutes over all the shows coming from the networks will already be queuing on your DVR or just available streaming from the cloud.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 06-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
CBS could easily fix this, but they choose not to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
CBS could easily fix this, but they choose not to.
How?

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
How?
Start 60 Minutes an hour later.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
The advantage FOX has is they don't have programming after 10pm leaves lots of options open.
The disadvantage is, a considerable number of Fox affiliates treat their 10 PM news programs as selling points for the station, especially in areas where a lot of people get up really early in the morning in order to get to work on time, because of some combination of traffic and a 6:30 AM stock market opening in the west. A 4:25 PM start really increases the chance of a game running past 8 PM (and Fox keeps NFL coverage going until all games end, as it invariably gets higher ratings than anything else they have on Sundays), and it's Fox's policy to show its entire Sunday night schedule, even if it means everybody's 10 PM news in the eastern half of the country starts at 10:15.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
How?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
Start 60 Minutes an hour later.
yup.

Or do some sort of post late game wrap up show like Fox. They could either push back the late local news or simply drop a portion of prime time programming. If the goal is to make sure the precious 60 Minutes stays intact for a full 60 minutes, they can do it.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
mwhip
All better

That fixes nothing. They don't want one of their best shows starting at 11pm. That totally messes up the dynamics of ratings and scheduling.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
That fixes nothing. They don't want one of their best shows starting at 11pm. That totally messes up the dynamics of ratings and scheduling.

what show is that?

if its good, they can move it to another slot. Besides, if you have a DVR, why does it matter?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
jcondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
But at least 4 or 5 CSI Miamis were recorded without the ending leaving us to go to the web if we wanted to see what happened.
For us we got fed up with it and were tiring of CSI Miami. Deleted our season pass a season or two ago. Don't miss it at all.

And now the show has been canceled anyway.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
Azlen

There is really no way that CBS can schedule 60 Minutes at 7pm Eastern on days where they have an afternoon game.
The earliest they can schedule something would be 7:30pm and most of the time it's going to be pushed until 8pm.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
what show is that?

if its good, they can move it to another slot. Besides, if you have a DVR, why does it matter?
The whole dynamic changes if they move a show..even if a show starts late it gets credit from where it was supposed to start.

If you move 60 Minutes to 7pm then essentially you are running the Mentalist at 11pm against local news and the local news now starts at midnight and doesn't get paired with other local news and compared against those in ratings.

I think the easiest thing for CBS to do is to drop a show from Sunday lineup during football season. I would think the Amazing Race.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:

I think the easiest thing for CBS to do is to drop a show from Sunday lineup during football season. I would think the Amazing Race.
yes. I think that would be the best way to handle it. Just run Amazing Race during the NFL off-season.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
The only problem with that is, what do you air in its place in the six weeks during the NFL regular season after the TV season starts that aren't CBS doubleheader days?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
The only problem with that is, what do you air in its place in the six weeks during the NFL regular season after the TV season starts that aren't CBS doubleheader days?
I think you still air an hour long NFL highlight wrap up show.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
rifleman69

Quote:
The disadvantage is, a considerable number of Fox affiliates treat their 10 PM news programs as selling points for the station, especially in areas where a lot of people get up really early in the morning in order to get to work on time, because of some combination of traffic and a 6:30 AM stock market opening in the west. A 4:25 PM start really increases the chance of a game running past 8 PM (and Fox keeps NFL coverage going until all games end, as it invariably gets higher ratings than anything else they have on Sundays), and it's Fox's policy to show its entire Sunday night schedule, even if it means everybody's 10 PM news in the eastern half of the country starts at 10:15.
What does the stock market opening at 6:30am in the west have to do with NFL Football? You do know that the NFL doesn't impact 10pm news on the west coast right?
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

From a football fan POV I love it. I don't watch Sunday night CBS programming any more anyway. Sunday night football, bay-bee!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
60 minute re-runs

Old 06-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
aindik

Quote:
Some portion of the country gets a game in the second slot on CBS even in weeks when CBS doesn't have the doubleheader. So, it still has late football to deal with in those weeks. Though I'm reading that those games - second slot games on the network that doesn't have a doubleheader - will still start at 4:05 like now.

Here's an idea: why not start the early games at 12:30?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #26
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Some portion of the country gets a game in the second slot on CBS even in weeks when CBS doesn't have the doubleheader. So, it still has late football to deal with in those weeks. Though I'm reading that those games - second slot games on the network that doesn't have a doubleheader - will still start at 4:05 like now.

Here's an idea: why not start the early games at 12:30?
Because 9:30am is too early for football.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #27
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Because 9:30am is too early for football.
I guess. So here's a deal. Games involving teams from Mountain or Pacific - even road games - always start at 4:05 or later ET. Early games only when both teams are from the Eastern or Central time zones.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I guess. So here's a deal. Games involving teams from Mountain or Pacific - even road games - always start at 4:05 or later ET. Early games only when both teams are from the Eastern or Central time zones.
After watching the first game and downing a few beers, that's too complicated for the average football fan

Seriously, drop one of the shows from CBS schedule. Do a hightlights show between 7 and 8, or do what Fox does, run reruns of some of their sitcoms from 7:30 to 8 when there is no overrun. Or, how about this...run 60 Minutes "Special Edition" during those football weeks and run with just one story and start it at 7:30? This still satisfies the 60 Minutes fans somewhat and they can go and keep their schedule. But I guess, since ratings are relatively strong on CBS the way they do things now for their Sunday shows, they aren't going to mess with it. So get used to that 10 o'clock block starting at 11 on those DH Sundays.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #29
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Move 60 Minutes to Monday.

I hate 3 PM games now so am glad the only team I watch (Texans) plays most of their's at noon.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #30
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Why should the NFL adjust for CBS? Just move 60 minutes, and it solves the issue. or move another show during the season.