TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #31
SoBelle0
What's next?

Thanks for the offer, unitron!

Let's see what ya think of these pics, and idea.

Those little things don't look bulged, do they? Am I looking at the right things?
The fan runs, and the front green light comes on - but the hard drive isn't making any noise that I can hear...

So I should probably get a 500GB hard drive, and the software above - 3x storage for less than $100. That sounds good.
Now to read up on this software install. More questions are sure to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-4204691662.jpg (53.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg image-4092886168.jpg (56.0 KB, 52 views)
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #32
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Those capacitors look just fine and dandy
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #33
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post

Those little things don't look bulged, do they? Am I looking at the right things?
The fan runs, and the front green light comes on - but the hard drive isn't making any noise that I can hear...

So I should probably get a 500GB hard drive, and the software above - 3x storage for less than $100. That sounds good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Those capacitors look just fine and dandy
I was going to question the short blue capacitor that is front and center, but that may only be because the pic is not really focused there.

It's certainly possible that the hard drive just died. You can take it out of the Tivo and connect it to your PC power supply to see if it will spin up. If it does spin up, connect it to the computer MB and try to run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it.

My gut feeling, the hard drive died. Follow that path first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #34
shadowplay0918

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
Was your broken TiVo a TiVo hd? I don't see why they would upgrade you for free if it wasn't. Just exchange same model for a refurb.
It was a TivoHD but I didn't ask for nor expect a free upgrade. I just called them to troubleshoot the hdmi issue. They agreed there was an issue with the port and offered an exchange for $79 (or $99, can't remember for sure) for a refurb HD since I have had it for less than 2 years.

But its just a bedroom tv with no other issues I didn't think it was worth the $$$ (component looks fine on a 32").

I just let the OP know that they offered me a TivoHD for another TivoHD...
shadowplay0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #35
unitron

Quote:

Do you have one of those power strips with 5 or 6 outlets and a switch at the end of a cord? The switch, or someplace easy to plug and unplug the TiVo power cord, and someplace where you can instantly visually confirm its plugged or unplugged status, is what we're interested in (he said, putting the preposition in the wrong place).

With the TiVo unplugged, find the combination data and power plug that goes into the hard drive and see if it feels like it's fully and properly seated.

If necessary, pull it off and put it back on.

!!!Anytime the TiVo is open and plugged in, there is a danger of electrocution and other unpleasant things if you are not careful. Keep your hands away from the power supply, there are exposed metal parts which may not be isolated from the power lines. Remove all rings, necklaces, and anything else that could hang down into or fall into the TiVo when you lean over it. Eye protection is not the worst idea in the world, either.

It's not supposed to blow up in your face. It's not supposed to be likely to blow up in your face. If you exercise proper common sense precautions I really don't think it'll blow up in your face.

Okay, after checking the power/data plug to the drive, power up the TiVo.

Lay your fingertips (one hand only) on the hard drive and see if you feel the vibration of it spinning up.

If not,wiggle that combo plug on the end of the drive just a little bit.

If no response from the drive, we need to talk about how to test it with a computer without screwing up anything ON the drive.

And if you're going to put a new drive in, you'll probably get the best storage space to price ratio (GB/$) with a 2TB drive.

You do not and did not have an external drive attached to this unit, correct?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #36
SoBelle0
What's next?

Thanks, again!

I do not have an external drive attached. I did disconnect/reseat all cables last night... but, did not feel for vibrations. I can test that this evening. I do have a power strip, as well.

What are the specific requirements for buying my own hard drive to then image?
I'll have to read that 2TB thread. But, I'm sure I'd be okay with 1TB or even 500GB - I don't really keep things once I've watched them... but, get what you're all saying about the better price/space.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #37
SoBelle0
What's next?

I did feel for vibrations, and felt none. Only the green light, to the far left, ever comes on when I plug in the TiVo power cord.

I had two issues with trying to test with the PC - I can't access the final front screw on the hard drive housing on the TiVo, the Torx set I borrowed isn't skinny or long enough - nor can I locate the cord to my old desktop at home. The PC hasn't been connected in some time, and neither the power for it nor the monitor were anywhere to be found...

I greatly appreciate all of the input and information y'all have provided!! So I wanted to be sure to keep you posted on what's happening on this end.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #38
dlfl
Cranky old novice

It would be nice if you could measure the voltages in the power supply cable going to your hard drive, to rule out power supply failure more definitely. They should be 12V +/-10% and 5V +/-5%, preferably with the drive still connected. If you can't solder, the options for replacing the PS are buy one from weaknees.com ($100) or buy a cheap TiVo HD on eBay just to get the PS (which may also be old and about to fail).

Add my vote for the DVR_DUDE route suggested earlier. All you have to do is replace the hard drive. You will have to overcome your torx drive limitations of course.

Any way you do it, unless you can sucessfully backup your current drive's TiVo system and put it on the new drive, e.g., using WinMFS, you will most likely have to re-pair your cable card(s). But this can be done via web or phone on all systems I believe.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #39
SoBelle0
What's next?

Okay - I've been able to borrow a Digital Multimeter. Now, how does this work?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #40
bshrock

Quote:
Okay - I've been able to borrow a Digital Multimeter. Now, how does this work?

Ouch... I strongly suggest that you find someone with enough expertise to check the voltages for you. There are potentially lethal voltages exposed in there.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #41
SoBelle0
What's next?

Well, I sure don't want to kill myself over a TiVo.
Goodness!

Back to the removal of drive, and connecting to the PC. That part I know how to do.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
timckelley
TCFer

Yes, I'd remove the drive, connect to a PC, google the manufacturer to download a diagnostic utility, and run it on the drive while it's connect to confirm that it has bad sectors on it. If the answer is yes, then follow the procedures to replace the TiVo drive, and there's a good chance your TiVo will work. In the unlikely case it doesn't, it needed a new drive anyway, according to the diagnostics.

Actually one thing I wonder is this: normally in a PC when a drive gets bad sectors, utilities are able to mark them as bad so that in the future they don't get accessed. No need to throw out the drive - you just lose access to the bad sectors and the rest works.

I wonder if this could be done on a TiVo instead of replacing the drive. If the image is compromised, then I guess the image would have to be reloaded, after marking the bad sectors... or is there even a way to mark bad sectors on a TiVo?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #43
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
Yes, I'd remove the drive, connect to a PC, google the manufacturer to download a diagnostic utility, and run it on the drive while it's connect to confirm that it has bad sectors on it. If the answer is yes, then follow the procedures to replace the TiVo drive, and there's a good chance your TiVo will work. In the unlikely case it doesn't, it needed a new drive anyway, according to the diagnostics.

Actually one thing I wonder is this: normally in a PC when a drive gets bad sectors, utilities are able to mark them as bad so that in the future they don't get accessed. No need to throw out the drive - you just lose access to the bad sectors and the rest works.

I wonder if this could be done on a TiVo instead of replacing the drive. If the image is compromised, then I guess the image would have to be reloaded, after marking the bad sectors... or is there even a way to mark bad sectors on a TiVo?
If the drive is bad switch it out, I had bad TiVo drives that no problem showed up on any test using my PC, but when replaced the problems went away.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #44
SoBelle0
What's next?

I'm such a jerk! Sorry y'all, I should have made notes here at some point.

As of today, I am back in business! I bought a drive from farmermac and swapped it out - piece of cake.
But, then couldn't get the old m-card to work - it kept saying "invalid card" and Comcast couldn't see it to activate it. Great! I had no time to try and make an appointment or wait for a truck - so I finally had a chance to go to the Comcast service center just yesterday... and then time to call and activate it today. Voila!

If it wasn't for Comcast, I would have been back two weeks ago. Blargh!

Thank you all for your knowledge, assistance, and support with this!! I've desperately missed my TiVo and am so glad to get back to normal - or better than normal as I've a much larger HD now! . Thank you!

The direct cablecard activation number should be a sticky - I'll put it here so it's in more spots throughout TCF.
1-877-405-2298