TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
timmie88

Snap, Crackle and Pop Over HDMI?

I recently had to swap the location of my Tivo HD with my Tivo Premiere (due to the netflix issue on the Tivo HD - you can read about it in the Tivo Help Center forum), which meant switching my Tivo HD from using the component and RCA audio jacks to using HDMI.

With the Tivo HD on HDMI, I get crackling and popping on the audio whenever moving from program to program or from program to menu and vice-versa. This noise wasn't present on the component/RCA audio.

Note, the HDMI is hooked directly to the TV and not through a receiver (some people have recommended changing settings on a receiver for this issue).

Anyone ever find a solution for this issue?

Thanks,
Tim
timmie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
lastdeadcat
22 years in Alaska

Try going into Tivo Settings and then Audio. Change it between Digital and PCM and see what happens.

Last edited by lastdeadcat : 06-27-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Specifing which settings
lastdeadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
pmiranda

Hmm, that sucks...sounds like your TV has a buggy HDMI implementation. The PCM setting should help, since I vaguely recall that it downconverts everything so the TV should never see a disruption in the audio bitstream.

One other thought... maybe try swapping cables... if it's got a bad connection there could be more bit errors than your TV can cope with, especially when starting a new bitstream. (That's still no excuse for a manufacturer letting bad data through to the speakers. I hate it when designers get sloppy.)
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

To emphasize the importance of a correctly functioning HDMI cable. I am a dish network subscriber and just a couple of weeks ago I was having a snow and audio problem upon turning on my TV and dish receiver. It only lasted a few seconds.

Dish technical support promptly sent me a new HDMI cable and that resolved the issue.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
ltxi

x2...first order is always to try changing cables
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
timmie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
x2...first order is always to try changing cables
Note, I didn't have this issue with the Tivo Premiere using HDMI, only the Tivo HD.

I did switch to PCM and it seems to have helped, but note, the Premiere wasn't set to PCM that I could tell.
timmie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
philt56

I have been having this problem terribly recently with my tivo premiere connected on hdmi to a NAD 785. Whenever I listen to White Sox ball games, I get a loud static pop whenever a commercial that is playing in stereo and then the game resumes in 5.1. If I switch the tivo to PCM then I lose 5.1 surround. NAD says they never heard this problem but I think it's the receiver? I never heard this problem on a Denon I had as a loan for awhile.

Do people really think it's the tivo causes the problem vs the receiver?
philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
bvm42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdeadcat View Post
Try going into Tivo Settings and then Audio. Change it between Digital and PCM and see what happens.
Thank you!! This was driving me crazy. I had just moved my Tivo HD to a different TV (brand new Sony), and got crackling on practically any abrupt change in the video (change channels, FF, etc). Tried all sorts of cable swapping and variations before coming here. Switching the audio to PCM completely cleared it up.
bvm42 is offline   Reply With Quote