TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #451
fooz

It appears that if you have one Tivo, then DirecTV will gladly replace it for free with an HD DVR (and of course 2 more years).

My problem was that I had 3 and they had no interest in replacing them. I would have happily taken 1 HR34 and 2 receivers, or 3 DVRs as replacement and signed up for 2 more years.
fooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #452
tomc585

been hooking up to the phone at work 2x a week for 3 weeks but my my series 2 still hasnt grabbed the 6.4. suck s when i wake up and see the unit downloading at 4am just to find it still on 6.1

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #453
N-HARDY

Arrow What do you think on both of our issues?

My sister's DirecTv Tivo Phillips 708 has been without most of the local channels since May 1. We see that it still has 6.3e software. We have tried everything DirecTv told us to do to restart it. We even did a complete reboot and cleared everything just to see if that helped. We have nothing to lost at this point. This unit has never been opened up like some have done. I read about slicers and have no idea what that is. I just do not what to do any more. We did get DirecTv to credit her account the $5 for the local channels for one year. After the last phone call to whin about their lack of customer service, they gave her Showtime free for a month. Like that is going to help. My sister has her old Samsung, I think, Tivo series 2. But it would need repaired with a new fan and tuners. This Tivo have the 6.4a software. And a new card from DirecTv would have to be bought again. What do you think she should do??

And to top it off, my DirecTv Tivo Phillip 708 has a tuner going bad. The local channels cube up and the sound skips. Is it worth sending it to Tivo Upgrage or WeaKnee if DirecTv is doing everything to not support Tivos these days? I need to decide what to do before the new fall seson starts. Please tell me what you think. Replace both tuners? I so love Tivo better than DirecTv's DVR. I only have a small amount of programs that I can put on disc if I want to save them before send in for servicing, if you think it is worth it. Is it worth servicing??

* Just read the WeaKnee forum about the same issue. They suggest a new hard drive. Does this sound right? *

Last edited by N-HARDY : 06-26-2012 at 02:52 PM.
N-HARDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #454
derelict

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-HARDY View Post

And to top it off, my DirecTv Tivo Phillip 708 has a tuner going bad. The local channels cube up and the sound skips. Is it worth sending it to Tivo Upgrage or WeaKnee if DirecTv is doing everything to not support Tivos these days? I need to decide what to do before the new fall seson starts. Please tell me what you think. Replace both tuners? I so love Tivo better than DirecTv's DVR. I only have a small amount of programs that I can put on disc if I want to save them before send in for servicing, if you think it is worth it. Is it worth servicing??

* Just read the WeaKnee forum about the same issue. They suggest a new hard drive. Does this sound right? *
For the pixelation issue, I would suggest looking at this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=333631

This was my issue... I was able to successfully fix one Tivo where the tuner completely stopped working by following this thread.
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #455
CrashHD
I am the me.

If someone offered a service where you could send your tivo to be updated, or remove your hard drive and send it to be updated (cheaper shipping), would anyone be interested?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #456
55tbird

Quote:
My sister's DirecTv Tivo Phillips 708 has been without most of the local channels since May 1. We see that it still has 6.3e software. We have tried everything DirecTv told us to do to restart it. We even did a complete reboot and cleared everything just to see if that helped. We have nothing to lost at this point. This unit has never been opened up like some have done. I read about slicers and have no idea what that is. I just do not what to do any more. We did get DirecTv to credit her account the $5 for the local channels for one year. After the last phone call to whin about their lack of customer service, they gave her Showtime free for a month. Like that is going to help. My sister has her old Samsung, I think, Tivo series 2. But it would need repaired with a new fan and tuners. This Tivo have the 6.4a software. And a new card from DirecTv would have to be bought again. What do you think she should do??

Your hard drive may very well be starting to give you problems so change it if it's been in use more than 2 years.

However, I've experienced the same issue numerous times over the last 5 years, ie, currently have 4 DTivos and have had the tuner issue 7 times and "all" but once it was the power supply that was going bad (not able to provide proper volts/amps), I would simply swapout the supply and the 2nd tuner would work (verified supply was bad as I would swap it into a known good working unit and the 2nd tuner wouldn't work. I've read numerous posts from others and it seems to be a common issue.

BTW, the vendor you mentioned also can repair units with bad tuners, power supply if you're not up to it yourself or don't want to try. If you have ever worked on a desktop computer and are not intimidated by trying it "is" a relatively simple process to replace the supply.

What do you really have to lose? You're on the verge of getting rid of it anyway and you very likely would end up with a working unit with a little effort & a "good" power supply.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make.
55tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #457
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
If someone offered a service where you could send your tivo to be updated, or remove your hard drive and send it to be updated (cheaper shipping), would anyone be interested?
Weaknees already offers that service.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #458
N-HARDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
For the pixelation issue, I would suggest looking at this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=333631

This was my issue... I was able to successfully fix one Tivo where the tuner completely stopped working by following this thread.
Well I got my Tivo box out and brought up all the cables and the setup manual. And I don't have the S-video cable or the composite video connection cable plugged in to any ports. The tv did not have a S-video connection on the back. My is set up looks like example A with a tv, vcr/dvd recorders, Tivo all with coaxial cables. I took the new coaxial cable that came with the Tivo and bypassed the vcr/dvd and connected it to the tv to Tivo. No difference. But it was worth a shot. Why is it never that easy?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #459
kkesler

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
If your Series 2 DirecTivo is connected to a phone line and successfully making calls, but you're still not getting the v6.4a update, then please post back with your Tivo Model Number and Tivo Service number. I'll pass that information along to our DirecTV contacts to provide to Tivo for further troubleshooting.
DSR-704
Software System: 6.2a-01-2-301
Service Number: 3010000C048AA04
System Type: United States Series 2 DirecTiVo
Subscription: Monthly Subscription

Phone Call Information
Last Call 03:41am, 27-Jun-12
Last Call Status Succeeded
Next Call 08:52am, 28-Jun-12
kkesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #460
gdog007

Quote:
If your Series 2 DirecTivo is connected to a phone line and successfully making calls, but you're still not getting the v6.4a update, then please post back with your Tivo Model Number and Tivo Service number. I'll pass that information along to our DirecTV contacts to provide to Tivo for further troubleshooting.
Tivo Model number - Directv R10
Tivo current software version 6.1-01-2-521
Tivo Service Number - 521-0001-90C1-59CA
My Tivo does NOT have any "modifications" to its original software
gdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #461
dy123

I have a Philips DSR7000. Upgraded to 302 Hours with Instant Cake running 6.2a.

About 2 months ago I lost local channels in Southern California. It had been so long ago that I did the whole hard drive swap that I forgot about all the details of how I even did it.

I pulled out my old 50 foot phone cord and hooked the unit up to the wall jack. I did that for about 2 weeks, but nothing ever happened. It connected fine, but update was never downloaded. I put away the phone cored and thought I was out of luck.

It was unplugged for about 3 weeks.....and for some reason at 11:30 last night I thought I should plug it in again and see what happens. I forced it to connect. It connected and did a download (maybe 5 minutes).

When I went back into phone setting to check status it said "pending restart". I went to bed and when I checked this morning all my locals were back! Now is says software version 6.4a.

I was about to try all kind of costly alternatives to get my locals back. SO glad I happed on its own.

btw I never gave my tivo details here or on the other forum. So those of you that didn't either, it should eventually download and upgrade. I guess it is just a waiting game. Have faith, it should work eventually.

Even though the debacle should have never happened….thanks to whoever fixed it!
dy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #462
N-HARDY

Can you believe it?

DRUM ROW PLEASE... My sister's series 2 Philips DSR708 downloaded software version 6.4a. The local channel have reappeared after two months!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #463
CrashHD
I am the me.

Quote:
DRUM ROW PLEASE
drum *roll*?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #464
jwracer14

Quote:
Hughes Series 2 sd-dvr40
software version 6.3e-01-2-151
service number 351-0000-A067-F4C1
jwracer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #465
kkesler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkesler View Post
DSR-704
Software System: 6.2a-01-2-301
Service Number: 3010000C048AA04
System Type: United States Series 2 DirecTiVo
Subscription: Monthly Subscription

Phone Call Information
Last Call 03:41am, 27-Jun-12
Last Call Status Succeeded
Next Call 08:52am, 28-Jun-12
6.4a now, had it for a few days.

Still no locals.

Now the 30 second skip won't work. Is there a secret to get it working again, the sps30s code isn't working.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #466
CrashHD
I am the me.

SPS30S works on my 6.4a boxes. You might try entering it again. Do you get the triple tone after the final select?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #467
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I believe you need 3.5d on the S1 boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
stevel is correct, 3.5d is what you need. At this point, it looks like DirecTV is only going to do Series 2 software updates so you'd need to acquire the image and install it yourself to continue using your DSR6000.
I'm still on 3.5c on my DSR6000. If someone could PM me with the locaion of a 3.5d image I would appreciate it. Just noticed a short time ago that my locals were missing.

Interestingly enough I didn't lose my locals until July 1.

Last edited by ronsch : 07-05-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: More info
ronsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #468
nmiller855

I think the only solution to us stuck on 3.5c is to buy it from someone like Weaknees or DVRupgrade.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #469
derelict

I bit the bullet today and tried to update one of my Samsung SIR-4080 tivos with the slicer from DVR upgrade. It seemed to run ok until I ran into a bootloop. I am getting this error:

Quote:
Starting TvLauncher
assert: Tmk Assertion Failure:
assert: TmkServer, line 379 ()
Tmk Fatal Error: Activity TvBusProxy <106> strayed!
Paste the following into a shell to get a backtrace...

bt -t /tvbin/tivoapp <<END_OF_BT
tcd 1
hpk Series2
build b-6-4-prod @299218 2008.05.08-0010 release-mips []
pack 6.4a-01-2
read 0x00400000 /tvbin/tivoapp
read 0x02000000 /lib/libc.so.6
read 0x02200000 /lib/libm.so.6
read 0x02400000 /lib/libpthread.so.0
read 0x02600000 /lib/libutil.so.1
read 0x02800000 /lib/libtvutil.so
read 0x02a00000 /lib/libtmk.so
read 0x02c00000 /lib/libtvstructures.so
read 0x2aaa8000 /lib/ld.so.1
read 0x2ab04000 /lib/libhpkoss.so
read 0x2ab50000 /platform/lib/libhpkhl.so
read 0x2ac18000 /platform/lib/libhpkll.so
read 0x2ac5c000 /lib/libdl.so.2
read 0x2aca0000 /lib/libcdaudio.so
0x02a7e47c 0x02a826d4 0x02a24620 0x02a4fdcc 0x006922b4 0x02a28c08 0x02a28834
0x02a6069c 0x02a2871c 0x02a28630 0x02a2b03c 0x02a3c684 0x02a3c56c 0x02a3c41c
0x02a3b978
END_OF_BT

Tmk Fatal Error: Activity TvBusProxy <106>: assertion failure
Waiting for launcher to start.
Launcher is running.
Scanning for phase2 repair scripts
Running boot Stage E_PreApplication scripts
Checking for database conversions
flushing ide devices: hda
Restarting system.
I have no idea how to recover from this... anyone?
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #470
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
I think the only solution to us stuck on 3.5c is to buy it from someone like Weaknees or DVRupgrade.
Check the post from Sbourgeo(#44) in the Sony T60 Now won't finish Booting thread to see if 3.5d is already on your TiVo.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #471
Pete_C

After a couple of weeks of new DVR; antenna moved.

I called for service and customer service representative stated I would have to pay for the call. I said no as it was just installed and that the dish should not have moved after two weeks. Old dish was in place for 10 years and never moved. Customer service representative then stated service call would be covered under 90 day warranty.

Very interesting service call. The antenna was adjusted within 2 hours by the service manager who happened to be in town. Pleasant gentleman had an issue hitting the sweet spot; so I made go back up to adjust antenna. Hopefully he tightened it.

The DTV bill comes a week later. It had a service charge with a credit for half of the service. I called CS and needed to talk to three people to get it adjusted to nil. It was an hour's waste of my time and the reason I am posting this message today. Funny too that they "recorded" on their service ticket a charge when I explicitly said adjust it with no service charge or remove it. They didn't write that down on their notes though.

What a joke.

Who owns Direct TV these days?

They went from apparant good customer service getting me to change over to a DTV DVR; poor installation (antenna moves after a couple of weeks)

Their piss poor customer service (in addition to me having to give up my direct tivo) has convinced me to switch in the next couple of weeks.
Pete_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #472
CrashHD
I am the me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_C View Post
They went from apparant good customer service ...
Directv's customer service has always been very poor. Poor customer service is pretty universal. Switch service if you wish. I fail to understand why you will feel better to be treated just as poorly by someone else.
Otherwise, if you're going to rant about it, there are threads in the forum where such discussion would be on topic.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #473
kkesler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
SPS30S works on my 6.4a boxes. You might try entering it again. Do you get the triple tone after the final select?
Triple tone? I have sound effects turned off. Anyway, it won't work. Tried again and again, no joy.

Still no locals.

My bill just went up 5 bucks.

Think I'm done with DTV, I just picked up a used Premiere cheap.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #474
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
My own experience with DirecTV customer service has always been good. But yes, errors in communication happen, and with the multi-layered support approach DirecTV has, problems are more likely to appear.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #475
snapdad

3.5 to 3.5d upgrade

DSR6000 has 3.5c and will not connect to the service, Keep getting a message that it is Busy connecting to DirectTv and exits the attempted phone call. I can not change the phone numbers because it needs to call in to get the list. I was thinking about nuking the dvr at set back to factory defaults, maybe get a phone line then. Does this sound like an option that will work?
snapdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #476
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdad View Post
DSR6000 has 3.5c and will not connect to the service, Keep getting a message that it is Busy connecting to DirectTv and exits the attempted phone call. I can not change the phone numbers because it needs to call in to get the list. I was thinking about nuking the dvr at set back to factory defaults, maybe get a phone line then. Does this sound like an option that will work?
I haven't heard a single report (on this forum or elsewhere) of a Series 1 user getting the 3.5d software install after the locals issue first appeared. Unless that changes, your only options for reviving your DSR6000 would be to manually install the 3.5d slices if they're already on your TiVo (like I did here) or to get a 3.5d image and restore it to your hard drive. Feel free to pm me if you have questions on either option.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #477
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdad View Post
This old Series 1 Tivo software is no longer being streamed. You can have a dealer like Weaknees upgrade your software. Or perhaps consider upgrading to the new THR22 HD Tivo.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #478
ronsch

I have the 3.5d slices on my hard drive from when the TiVo tried to upgrade me four years ago. The problem with allowing it to go forward now is I need to be able to use a IDE<-->USB adapter as I no longer have a PC with IDE connections to upgrade to the LBA48 kernel. None of the Linux tool software releases(Instantcake, mfslive, PTVUppgrade) seem to be able to recognize the TiVo drive when attached this way. WinMFS will recognize it as a TiVo drive but I can't use that to copy in the modified kernel.

Has anyone made the jump to 3.5d in this environment?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #479
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I had similar problems trying to help someone re-enable initrd and switch to the stock kernel for a DSR6000 with a stock prom and they only had a laptop with a IDE<-->USB adapter. No dice.

In your case, I wonder if you could work around this by grabbing the kernel from the lba48 cdrom and sticking it on a flash drive along with the Linux static tpip binary and then use a Linux boot disk that recognizes your TiVo drive to run tpip manually?
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #480
CrashHD
I am the me.

I've never had trouble with MFSLive accessing any sort of usb storage adapter.

If you run

pdisk -l

it should scan every storage device available to the system, and read out the partition table info when it finds them.

Alternatively, instead of adapting your ide drive to USB, you could try adapting it to SATA http://www.amazon.com/IDE-SATA-Adapter/dp/B000RK89M4