Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #121
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
Yes, I know, if I wanted to see "Face the Nation" I should have recorded "Face The Nation."
But anyway, at 11:20, i happened to turn on the TV, to watch a show I did record, and this happened to be on. It's an hour show, 10:30 to 11:30.
I hit record, and the "my shows" told me I had the first 50 minutes all set.
I don't use suggestions. This seems to tell me this TiVo is running a longer buffer.
As noted earlier (ref. post #30), the Tivo actually allocates more than 30 minutes of content to memory for Live TV. TiVo is 'playing it safe' that no matter how the video is encoded, they will always have a 30 minute Live TV buffer.
The sooner you hit Record on Live TV, the better chance you have of capturing more content.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #122
brian1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Such a long thread over something that has little value. I'd hate to see TiVo waste time on this. However, they eventually caved on the FSI so it wouldn't surprise me.

I guess if such a feature has to be forced down everyone then at the very least make it configurable. I don't want to waste my hard drive space with needed size that would need to accompany the larger buffers.
Maybe useless to you, but obviously not to many others. We should have a choice. Some of us have larger hard drives than others and would love to have a larger buffer. And yes, it should be configurable so you can have a choice between no buffer at all (for you apparently) to 90 minutes or two hours for the one or two of us that would like one.
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #123
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1269

Maybe useless to you, but obviously not to many others. We should have a choice. Some of us have larger hard drives than others and would love to have a larger buffer. And yes, it should be configurable so you can have a choice between no buffer at all (for you apparently) to 90 minutes or two hours for the one or two of us that would like one.
Yep, when you compare it to other features that TiVo should/could work on... Then yes it's pretty useless to change this feature (configurable or otherwise).
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #124
brian1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Yep, when you compare it to other features that TiVo should/could work on... Then yes it's pretty useless to change this feature (configurable or otherwise).
Absolutely no reason they can't do it along with other pressing issues, which I agree are more important. But it's a line of code. Right now it tells it to record 30 minutes. It could very easily be changed to either an hour (the length of the majority shows on TV) or add a few more lines of code to make it configurable. This is not a matter or resources, it is just a matter of whether they want to do it or not. And no, I'm not a programmer, but I but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Or maybe I just consulted with some programmers I know and asked just how difficult it would be to make a change like this.
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #125
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1269 View Post
But it's a line of code. Right now it tells it to record 30 minutes. It could very easily be changed to either an hour (the length of the majority shows on TV) or add a few more lines of code to make it configurable. This is not a matter or resources, it is just a matter of whether they want to do it or not.
Oh, so you know the ins and outs of the TiVo software?
The people in the underground forum could use a guy like you.

Quote:
Or maybe I just consulted with some programmers I know and asked just how difficult it would be to make a change like this.
Do they also know the ins and outs of the TiVo software?
I doubt it.
Of course, I'm not a programmer so I may not know what I'm talking about.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #126
aaronwt
HD Addict

Of course a few changes or additions in a few lines of code won't have any effect on anything else.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #127
lpwcomp

Quote:
Absolutely no reason they can't do it along with other pressing issues, which I agree are more important. But it's a line of code. Right now it tells it to record 30 minutes. It could very easily be changed to either an hour (the length of the majority shows on TV) or add a few more lines of code to make it configurable. This is not a matter or resources, it is just a matter of whether they want to do it or not. And no, I'm not a programmer, but I but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Or maybe I just consulted with some programmers I know and asked just how difficult it would be to make a change like this.
Among things most often said in a problem analysis meeting: "But I only changed one line (of code)!".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #128
magnus
Tivo User

I love it. It's just one line of code. It should only take you like less than 5 minutes to change.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #129
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus
I love it. It's just one line of code. It should only take you like less than 5 minutes to change.
I think 1 line of code is considered about 3 man hours of work at my job, but then we actually test our code.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote