TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Neophyte442

Tivo Premier records on its own

I have my premier set up, and it works great. Got the mac app, the iPhone app, and its all working too. The only problem is that sometimes both record lights come on, and i don't have any shows scheduled to record. I currently have extended digital cable, but haven't received my cable card yet, so i only get up to channel 74. When the recording starts, its on 734 (women's channel). Any clues or suggestions?
Neophyte442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #2

Sounds like you are just recording suggestions.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
FeliciaCorrine

@Neophyte442 TiVo is programmed to record suggestions. If the recordings are showing up in the now playing list, it is the suggestions that it is recording. TiVo is tracking your activities and trying to suggest some shows thinking that you may watch those shows. If you don’t want them to be recorded press the "TiVo" button, then select "Messages & Settings" select "Settings," then "Recordings" and "TiVo Suggestions." select "No" to record "Suggestions."
FeliciaCorrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Jonathan_S

Like other people said, it's most likely TiVo Suggestions. Another possibility though is you might have created an overly broad auto-recording wishlist. Depending on the keywords used one of those could grab a lot of very random looking shows.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
lrhorer

The big question, however, is, "So what?" It doesn't hurt anything.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The big question, however, is, "So what?" It doesn't hurt anything.
The OP did say it is recording the "women's channel". That sounds painful to me.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
ashleyecaf

Sounds like you are just recording suggestions.
ashleyecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
ajwees41

mine records infomercials even though suggestions are not enabled
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
mine records infomercials even though suggestions are not enabled
That is the Teleworld paid program.
Produced by TiVo, this infomercial is used as an alternative method to get information to the DVR (think Showcase videos/ads).
Doing a Title Search for Teleworld paid program will show you when it airs in your area.
This infomercial is recorded behind the scenes as it will not take up user space nor will it interfere with scheduled recordings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
Sam Ray

Others have made it clear that it is likely suggestions and what to do about it. I just wat to add that the "icon" in the My Shows list for shows recorded as suggestions is different (correct?) from shows recorded explicitly or from a season pass or wishlist.

Oh, one more thing. The problem is that it clutters up the list of recorded programs so then we must delete them and then they take up hard drive space until we permanently delete them. All that takes time; our time. If we do not permanently remove them then we run the chance that something we want to recover will not be there. That is likely a remote problem but I sure would prefer to never get suggestions.

Also, recording suggestions keeps the Tivo busy. We have a Tivo that is less than two years old and the hard drive is already bad. We did not record suggestions using it. I assume that recording suggestions will reduce the effective life of the hardware.
Sam Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ray View Post
Also, recording suggestions keeps the Tivo busy. We have a Tivo that is less than two years old and the hard drive is already bad. We did not record suggestions using it. I assume that recording suggestions will reduce the effective life of the hardware.
The hard drive runs 24/7 no matter if you record or not, suggestions would have nothing to do with a hard drive failure.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The hard drive runs 24/7 no matter if you record or not, suggestions would have nothing to do with a hard drive failure.
Not only does the hd run 24/7, the Tivo is also recording to the hd 24/7 whether any of it is being saved or not.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Others have made it clear that it is likely suggestions and what to do about it. I just wat to add that the "icon" in the My Shows list for shows recorded as suggestions is different (correct?) from shows recorded explicitly or from a season pass or wishlist.
Not quite. If the Tivo picks up a suggestion for a show that is already in teh Now Playing list (for whatever reason) it will show up in both the Folder for the show AND the Suggestions.

Quote:
Oh, one more thing. The problem is that it clutters up the list of recorded programs so then we must delete them and then they take up hard drive space until we permanently delete them. All that takes time; our time. If we do not permanently remove them then we run the chance that something we want to recover will not be there. That is likely a remote problem but I sure would prefer to never get suggestions.
This makes little sense. Suggestions are in their own folder and do not clutter up the Now Playing list. As already mentioned, they take up no space on the drive whatsoever. I suppose (I don't know the deleting priority) you may have a small risk that it could be harder to recover a deleted item from a season pass, but that would be a rare situation indeed. It is no different from the risk if you have lots of season passes.

Quote:
Tivos are always busy, and you want it to be. That is why you paid for it! Treating the hard drive space with kid gloves gives you nothing. (as previously mentioned)