TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Puppy76

What's the best antenna that can be used inside?

My friend's thinking of ditching her cable and buying a Tivo, similar to my setup.

She's going to try an antenna first, see if she can even get enough channels well enough, and I'd like to be able to point her towards the best, or even buy it for her, but I just don't know what the best is.

I have this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

Terk's FDTV1A, which works pretty darned well for me, and is better than my older Terk, but for example, Tivo has some interesting looking antennas, and I figure they might be good if Tivo's selling them, like:

https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessor...king.do#A00084

That Clearstream 4, and ClearStream Micron XG, and Clearstream Convertible.

Anyone know what's best?

EDIT:

Or this thing?
http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Lea...&s=electronics

Last edited by Puppy76 : 06-24-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
I have one of these. Works much better than the Silver Sensor I used previously.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
GBL
covert opiniative

It really depends on where in the broadcast spectrum your HDTV channels are located.
In my area, two channels are in the VHF band (Fox is 9, NBC is 11) so a UHF only antenna does not work well. I had to get a VHF/UHF Yagi style antenna (can't recall the model number) that fit into the living room corner, under/behind the TV stand.

Antennaweb.org or similar is a good place to start to figure out your situation.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
janry

First thing I'd do is get a report from

http://tvfool.com/

for your friend's address to know exactly what you are dealing with as far as the available stations and what is possible. The report will also tell you if you have any VHF stations to deal with which can be problematic for an indoor antenna.

You never know until you check but as many on the AVS forum say, a paperclip might be all you need.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Puppy76

Thanks guys! LifeIsABeach, I think I'll try that model (except the more expensive version I found after posting that) as she likes how it looks LOL So if it works okay...I think I'll give it a shot.

I tried that TVfool, and last night another site like that, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what the results mean. Bizarrely, it looks like she may not have a local CBS station...which is just baffling to me given how big her market should be (I wouldn't expect ANYWHERE to not have a CBS station!) But...I think I'll just see.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
janry

Quote:
I tried that TVfool, and last night another site like that, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what the results mean. Bizarrely, it looks like she may not have a local CBS station...which is just baffling to me given how big her market should be (I wouldn't expect ANYWHERE to not have a CBS station!) But...I think I'll just see.
Interesting. What is her zip code?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Puppy76

62707, Springfield Illinois.

Bizarrely it looks like officially she's served by a CBS station clear off in Champagne, although the Peoria station on that map actually looks closer, and it's probably too far.

CBS is probably my least watched network, but even still *I* wouldn't want to give it up, and she watches survivor and stuff.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
janry

Quote:
62707, Springfield Illinois.
Yeah, CBS is going to a problem for your friend with an indoor antenna. Too far and in a different direction than the closer stations.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
janry

Here is some interesting information regarding your friend's CBS problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCIA

Quote:
The station can also be seen on WCIX's second digital subchannel on VHF channel 13 from a transmitter east of Springfield.
I guess it wouldn't be HiDef but it would be CBS.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
janry

Or, maybe it is HiDef.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCIX

Quote:
Digital programming WCIX's digital signal on VHF channel 13 is multiplexed:

Channel Name Video Aspect Programming
49.1 WCIX-DT 480i 16:9 Main WCIX programming / MyNetworkTV
49.2 WCIA-DT 1080i "WCIA 3"; CBS

Last edited by janry : 06-25-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
Anyone know what's best?
Why do you want the "best"? A much better idea is the "worst", or at least the least expensive one that gets the job done. Once you have an antenna whose gain is sufficient to receive all the channels you want, going with a more expensive antenna gets you nothing at all except a hole in your wallet. Personally, I would try a $2 balun and a coat hanger to see if it works, and then if you can't hide it well enough you and spend a few dollars more on a prettier one. If it doesn't work, then you will have to look into a more selective / higher gain / more directional antenna, possibly even an outside antenna, and possibly even a phased array. That all starts to get into fairly big bucks, though, when the odds are good an ultra-cheapie bowtie will work.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If you don't care what it looks like, this will work:

I built one similar myself and use it in my bedroom.

ETA: Obviously, I'm not married.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 06-26-2012 at 11:23 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote