TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
htroberts

Any consensus on best disk for THR-22?

I posted this on dbstalk.com, but this may be a better forum...

The pausing/pixelation problem we were seeing with our THR-22 seems to have been getting worse.

We seem to have the most trouble with 242, USAHD, which if I read the transponder map correctly is on d10/103°. I've re-aligned the antenna, which brought my 103c signals up from mid-80s to high 90s.

This still feels like a software bug to me, like interrupt handling or poorly managed contention, but DirecTV isn't acknowledging any issues, so I suppose that if the signal improvement doesn't help, my next step will be to replace the Seagate pipeline drive we're using with something else.

Is there any consensus on hard disk brand, model, features, or settings that might predict reliable operation?

Thanks,
Heath
htroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Seagate Pipeline is the best choice. I've had similar issues but they appear to be signal-related. DirecTV sent out a tech who replaced quite a bit of stuff, including my dish and SWM module.

As strange as it may sound, I doubt it's the dish. I had similar problems with two different disks, one of them a Seagate Pipeline, but they started when I redid my dish configuration to include the SWM.

Do you have any other DVRs?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
htroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel
The Seagate Pipeline is the best choice. I've had similar issues but they appear to be signal-related. DirecTV sent out a tech who replaced quite a bit of stuff, including my dish and SWM module.

As strange as it may sound, I doubt it's the dish. I had similar problems with two different disks, one of them a Seagate Pipeline, but they started when I redid my dish configuration to include the SWM.

Do you have any other DVRs?
The HDVR2 that is being replaced is still hooked up and working, and so are an HR-34, an HR-21, and an HR-24. I also have an HR-21P that the 34 replaced & I haven't gotten around to taking off the account. The THR is on the same SWM as the HR-34.

I've not had problems with any of the other receivers, at least not lately.

I suppose I could try connecting it to the pre-SWM multiswitch.
htroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Try running the system test on the HR21 and see what it says. So you too are running SWM - I suspect there's an issue with SWM and THR22s that the HRxx aren't sensitive to.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
berryb

Any consensus on best disk for THR-22? --- YOU re-aligned the antenna?

Didn't DirecTv install your THR22 for you?

When I got my first THR22-100 from DTV, it was so new that the DirecTV installers didn't know how to to install it.

Using my existing 'Slimline 5' dish for my HR22 (Obviously aligned properly for best reception, by them years ago) they still had some problems with signal strength. Even though that 'working' dish / HR22 was set earlier to my Zip Code, they found a problem, the hard way.

They found they had to run the entire THR22's satellite setup. Inside it, they had to add my Zip code which was missing. Lo and behold, the signal strength issues went away!

You may want to check your THR22 "Satellite Setup."
berryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No, it was shipped to me and I installed it myself. I already had a HD setup.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
berryb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
No, it was shipped to me and I installed it myself. I already had a HD setup.
No Steve, I intended my reply to be for "htroberts" Post, not yours: That's why I titled it: Any consensus on best disk for THR-22? --- YOU re-aligned the antenna?

He Posted: "Any consensus on best disk for THR-22?" And he was the gentlemen saying "I've re-aligned the antenna." (My Title repeating his words.) In retrospect, I suppose a direct quote from him would've probably been wiser!

What I was attempting to say, that even with an already perfecting aligned dish, when DTV installed my first THR22, the signal strenghs were poor, until they found thet HAD to run THR22's Satellite Setup.where they found my Zip Code was BLANK in that first HD TiVo.

Once they put in the Zip Code, all my signals went back up into the High 90s to 100.

P.S. When I ordered my second THR22, I waited and waited for them to ship it to me, so like you, I could 'lnstall it myself.' When I complained to DTV, asking "Where is my HD TiVo?, they blamed me, saying they were waiting ON ME to set an 'Installation date.' (From word One, it had been "Ship to Customer, He will install.")

Oh, yeah, when the very same guys installed the second TiVo, by then they HAD learned and they made sure to check that Zip Code!

P.P.S. On a different matter, Steve, Do you know anything about these boxes Overheating? Both of mine are, badly! I've posted that same "Overheating" question in this forum, without much success.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have no overheating issues (and mine is in a closet with an HR21 underneath it). I haven't seen others complain of overheating either.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
berryb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I have no overheating issues (and mine is in a closet with an HR21 underneath it). I haven't seen others complain of overheating either.
Good to know! The FIRST thing the DTV tech asked, was "Do you have your THR22 in an enclosure?" (Perhaps like "In a closet with an HR21 underneath it?) (LOL)

He DID ask if I had it 'stacked' on something else. It WAS on top of my two HR10-250's which NEVER overheat even though each have TWO hard drives inside - two 400MB's in one and two 500MB's in the other. (This was well before the advent of 1GB drives - AND 'Cross Fingers' - both are still spinning 24/7/365) [Now watch Murphy's Law go into action!]

When I first noticed the overheating, it went on a separate shelf, with 1x1 inch spacers underneath for addtional circulation.

I had one other DTV tech suggest "If you have your THR22 plugged into a Surge Suppressor, Plug it directly into the wall" (!!!!)

Also "Whenever I'm not actually watching TV, turn off the TiVo by pushing the Power button." (????) Sigh!

Oh yes, DTV does NOT recommend the use of my one GB Western Digital 'DVR Expander.' He asks "Why do you have that?" - Why, Indeed!

P.S. When I got my second THR22, I sent my HR22 home packing to DTV! I could not wait to get rid of that (excuse the expression) POS DVR!

Hey Steve, Thanks for your reply!
Bert
Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
DVRs should be plugged into a battery backup unit. Mine always are.