TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
HFChristie

Kickstart not working

My S2 froze like another thread documents. No problem, I thought (although annoying). I unplugged the unit, waited about 15 seconds, and restarted. When the TiVo got stuck on the Welcome acreen, (after a curse or 4) i tried again.

When that disnt work, i performed the Kinckstart procedure.

However, that doesn't work either! The lights go amber, I enter the code (57), and the left light immediately goes green. The right light remains amber.

Hower, the TiVo does not restart into the Kinckstart menu. It stays on the Welcome screen until I unplug the unit.

??? I can't find any threads on kicks tarting doesn't work.

Help?

FYI: TiVo is 10 years old (original owner), hard drive upgraded to 1TB Nov 2010 and the fan was replaced. No do drive noises, although fan is going bad again.

Thanks in advance
HFChristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

When using the kickstart codes you press the pause button before the number.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFChristie View Post
My S2 froze like another thread documents. No problem, I thought (although annoying). I unplugged the unit, waited about 15 seconds, and restarted. When the TiVo got stuck on the Welcome acreen, (after a curse or 4) i tried again.

When that disnt work, i performed the Kinckstart procedure.

However, that doesn't work either! The lights go amber, I enter the code (57), and the left light immediately goes green. The right light remains amber.

Hower, the TiVo does not restart into the Kinckstart menu. It stays on the Welcome screen until I unplug the unit.

??? I can't find any threads on kicks tarting doesn't work.

Help?

FYI: TiVo is 10 years old (original owner), hard drive upgraded to 1TB Nov 2010 and the fan was replaced. No do drive noises, although fan is going bad again.

Thanks in advance
Like steve614 said, you have to hit pause first.

About 60 seconds after you plug in the power cord and the welcome screen pops up, you'll see a change in the front panel lights.

That's when you give the pause button a good healthy push, and then enter the 2 numbers, although go ahead and use 58.

Somewhere around here I've got a long post or two about how to lube those fans to save having to replace them.

You should also find and read the threads about checking the capacitors in the power supply since S2s are susceptible to "capacitor plague".

And finally, if, for any number of reasons, the motherboard and the TiVo are unable to communicate with each other at boot, you'll never move past the first welcome screen, and if that 1TB is a WD Caviar Green you need to have used the wdidle3 utility to disable Intellipark.

What's your S2's model number?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
HFChristie

It's a model TCDD-240080. I know how to get into Kickstart. I've had to use it several times over then last 10 years, notable when the original harddrive went bad in 2010. My initial post was meant to be detailed enough without fill Kickstart documentation.

But, the problem I'm having is that after pressing pause when the first (left) light turns amber, and then entering 57, 54, or 58 after the second (right) light turns amber, and within 10 seconds, the unit remains at the Powering Up screen.

The left light returns to green, the right remains amber, but it never restarts into Kickstart mode.

I'll check for "capacitor plague.". I saw another post about bulging capacitors, but a quick look didn't reveal and obvious problems. While there, I also made sure the cable to the drive was secure at both ends.

But, if the capacitors were plagued, wouldn't the unit just fail to run?

My 1TB drive has been in place and working fine for almost 18 months, so I don't think intellipark is an issue. I'll reopen to confirm brand, but is "caviar green" a model or just a build type?

What I find most "odd" is that this happened just after the freezing symptom other posts have been talking about.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
It's a model TCDD-240080. I know how to get into Kickstart. I've had to use it several times over then last 10 years, notable when the original harddrive went bad in 2010. My initial post was meant to be detailed enough without fill Kickstart documentation.

But, the problem I'm having is that after pressing pause when the first (left) light turns amber, and then entering 57, 54, or 58 after the second (right) light turns amber, and within 10 seconds, the unit remains at the Powering Up screen.

The left light returns to green, the right remains amber, but it never restarts into Kickstart mode.

I'll check for "capacitor plague.". I saw another post about bulging capacitors, but a quick look didn't reveal and obvious problems. While there, I also made sure the cable to the drive was secure at both ends.

But, if the capacitors were plagued, wouldn't the unit just fail to run?

My 1TB drive has been in place and working fine for almost 18 months, so I don't think intellipark is an issue. I'll reopen to confirm brand, but is "caviar green" a model or just a build type?

What I find most "odd" is that this happened just after the freezing symptom other posts have been talking about.

Thanks for the help!
A power supply might fail completely from bad caps, but many just underperform, putting out dirty power and not enough of it, and cause strange symptoms, like one tuner working but not the other one on some S2 Satellite TiVos, to give just one example.

If you aren't kickstarting and aren't getting past the first splash screen, the welcome one, then for some reason the drive and the motherboard are not communicating.

Pull the drive, hook it to a PC and run the manufacturers diagnostic long test.

Perhaps the IDE/SATA converter has gone bad, it's not impossible, so hook it directly to a SATA port if possible.

Post the brand and model of the drive here.

Tell us what kind of converter as well, specifically the chipset used (likely JMicron or maybe the more expensive Marvell).

While you've got the TiVo open, go find the thread entitled "Broken" and look at the picture of just how subtle the visual difference between a good cap and a bad one can be, then take a good hard look at your power supply.

If that S2 is lifetimed, and it turns out it's the motherboard gone bad, the crypto chip can be moved to another 240 board to move the TSN, but it'll have to be done by someone who knows what they're doing working with SMD (surface mount devices), as it's a little trickier than just soldering new caps into the power supply.

Keep an eye on Craigslist for someone selling a 240 cheap to grab for spare parts.

Caviar Green is a "line" of Western Digital drives comprised of a number of current and previous models, like the WD10EACS, the 10EADS, the 10EARS, etc, and sizes larger and smaller than 1TB, in both PATA and SATA.

The Greens are the lower RPM, power saving ones, the Caviar Blues the regular 7200RPM type and the Caviar Blacks the 7200RPM slightly higher grade, and at least previously, longer warranty line.

There are also the AV-GP models (Audio-Video/Green Power) specifically intended for DVRs and such, and no doubt some speciallized server types with which I'm unfamiliar.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
HFChristie

Well, it is a GreenPower drive afterall. There were no instructions from the supplier (DVRUpgrade) about intellipark.

I also looked at the power supply. While I know the plague can be subtle, I don't see any sign of bulging. All of the capacitors look fine, and I can't see any obvious discoloration on any of the other solder points on the power supply or the mother board.

The desktop computer I have is packed away - I'll have to unbox it and see what kind of drive cables it has.

I had been thinking about getting another TiVo Lifetime, just in case. I just checked, and it looks like the price for them has almost doubled!

One other question, there is a watch battery on the mother board. If that was dead, could that cause the problem? Also, what does that control? I don't want to remove it only to find out it wipes something important (like my Lifetime, etc). I can't think of anything other than the setup (network, cable, remote, etc) items, but ...

Thanks for all the info!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Well, it is a GreenPower drive afterall. There were no instructions from the supplier (DVRUpgrade) about intellipark.

I also looked at the power supply. While I know the plague can be subtle, I don't see any sign of bulging. All of the capacitors look fine, and I can't see any obvious discoloration on any of the other solder points on the power supply or the mother board.

The desktop computer I have is packed away - I'll have to unbox it and see what kind of drive cables it has.

I had been thinking about getting another TiVo Lifetime, just in case. I just checked, and it looks like the price for them has almost doubled!

One other question, there is a watch battery on the mother board. If that was dead, could that cause the problem? Also, what does that control? I don't want to remove it only to find out it wipes something important (like my Lifetime, etc). I can't think of anything other than the setup (network, cable, remote, etc) items, but ...

Thanks for all the info!
I don't think it does anything except keeps the onboard clock running when power's disconnected.

And a call to the mothership is enough to get the info to set the clock if needed, so go ahead and replace it. Can't hurt.

Unfortunately, it's probably not the problem.

I know that the TiVo Service Number is contained in the crypto chip and when the TiVo phones home it reports that number and the server tells it it has lifetime.

The rest of the settings are on the hard drive, so swapping the battery won't change them, either.

That crypto chip can be moved to another of the same model motherboard, but only by someone who knows what they're doing soldering and unsoldering surface mount devices.

But that is one way to extend a lifetime sub.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you aren't kickstarting and aren't getting past the first splash screen, the welcome one, then for some reason the drive and the motherboard are not communicating.

Pull the drive, hook it to a PC and run the manufacturers diagnostic long test.

Perhaps the IDE/SATA converter has gone bad, it's not impossible, so hook it directly to a SATA port if possible.
My TiVo HD started rebooting yesterday and I couldn't get it to do any kickstart tests. It wouldn't get past the first welcome screen and no matter how long I held the pause button only the green light would stay lit. Looks like from this post I'll have to open it up to look at it.

Do you think just reseating the drive/cables would be enough? Is this a common problem with these boxes?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
My TiVo HD started rebooting yesterday and I couldn't get it to do any kickstart tests. It wouldn't get past the first welcome screen and no matter how long I held the pause button only the green light would stay lit. Looks like from this post I'll have to open it up to look at it.

Do you think just reseating the drive/cables would be enough? Is this a common problem with these boxes?
Well as long as you need to open it up to look at the power supply anyway to see if you're suffering from "capacitor plague", you might as well pull the combo data/power plug from the back of the drive and reseat it, and you could try reseating the other data end on the SATA port on the motherboard as well.

You aren't using an external drive with that HD are you?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Test

Quote:
Well as long as you need to open it up to look at the power supply anyway to see if you're suffering from "capacitor plague", you might as well pull the combo data/power plug from the back of the drive and reseat it, and you could try reseating the other data end on the SATA port on the motherboard as well.

You aren't using an external drive with that HD are you?
I'll try it today. No, no external drives.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Test

I opened it up, cleaned it out and reseated everything I could. That didn't work, but I had an old TiVo hd (same model) so I swapped the drive. It booted up fine, but then came back with a hard drive error 51 and the TSN is all zeros in sys info.

I read a clear & erase everything would fix it. Doing it now.

Any opinion?

Also, is there anyway to get shows off the old drive?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
I opened it up, cleaned it out and reseated everything I could. That didn't work, but I had an old TiVo hd (same model) so I swapped the drive. It booted up fine, but then came back with a hard drive error 51 and the TSN is all zeros in sys info.

I read a clear & erase everything would fix it. Doing it now.

Any opinion?

A clear and erase everything will wipe out all of the shows.

Error 51 means the drive's record of the TiVo Service Number does not agree with the one on the motherboard to which it is currently attached.

It's a way to keep you from being able to record on one motherboard and watch, for whatever reason, on a different one.

Put the drive with the shows you want to save back in the TiVo from which it came.

Take out the power supply.

Put in the power supply from the other HD if they are the same model.

See if that doesn't make a difference.

In addition to the obvious screws holding down the power supply on a Series 3 HD (TCD652160, or TCD658000), there's also a small one in the top of the AC input jack that has to be removed from outside the case, and requires a slightly smaller Torx driver.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Test

Quote:
A clear and erase everything will wipe out all of the shows.

Error 51 means the drive's record of the TiVo Service Number does not agree with the one on the motherboard to which it is currently attached.

It's a way to keep you from being able to record on one motherboard and watch, for whatever reason, on a different one.

Put the drive with the shows you want to save back in the TiVo from which it came.

Take out the power supply.

Put in the power supply from the other HD if they are the same model.

See if that doesn't make a difference.

In addition to the obvious screws holding down the power supply on a Series 3 HD (TCD652160, or TCD658000), there's also a small one in the top of the AC input jack that has to be removed from outside the case, and requires a slightly smaller Torx driver.
I don't care about the shows on the replacement drive, just the ones on the original drive. It boots up now with the replacement drive, could it still be the power supply? I'll normalize the drives and try the ps.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
I don't care about the shows on the replacement drive, just the ones on the original drive. It boots up now with the replacement drive, could it still be the power supply? I'll normalize the drives and try the ps.
Sounds like time to run the manufacturer's own diagnostic software on the drive that isn't working right.

Do so from a bootable cd with which you boot the computer, rather than booting into Windows with the drive attached.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Yes, only one.
You have to get the drive working long enough for you to transfer the shows to a computer (if they're not copy protected).

F*CK CANCER!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yes, only one.
You have to get the drive working long enough for you to transfer the shows to a computer (if they're not copy protected).
Make that one and a half.

If you

dd

the drive to another drive and get that one to work in the TiVo long enough to transfer to computer if not copy protected.

Most of the time, either that will work because the original drive is still in good enough shape to get it working again (in which case you didn't need the second drive), or it won't work because the original drive is too far screwed up to get a copy that will work.

But sometimes, in a borderline situation.

(although I'd actually recommend

dd_rescue

instead of

dd

because of it's greater flexibility)

Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Make that one and a half.
Ah, cloning the drive, I didn't think of that. Why only a half? You sell yourself short.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Ah, cloning the drive, I didn't think of that. Why only a half? You sell yourself short.
Because whether it works or not is by no means guaranteed.