TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

The Royal Pains summer 2012 thread (spoilers allowed through the current episode)

Anyone still watching this? This is still one of my favorite summer shows (and might be top 10 favorite of what is currently on TV, no matter what the season). But, I'm not sure I like the Hank/Evan fued. I agree with Divya, they need each other. Hank has no business sense, and Evan, is too overly driven to see the field before the trees. And of course his choice of Doctors are wrong.

Plus, they did a really curious misdirection with Jill. First she's leaving, then she's not, then she's leaving again? Has she completely been written out? She's kind of a strange character anyway. She's supposed to be a doctor, but whenever she's with Hank, it appears she knows NOTHING about diagnosis or medicine in general. And then she's going to Africa to treat patients there. Anyway, I'll miss her character. Nice eye candy, and I liked her chemistry with Hank.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I have not watched this week's episode yet.

I enjoy the fluff of the show, but I tend to do other things while I watch now.

The whole "Jill is leaving" thing has been going on for three seasons - first she was only leaving for the winter, then last season and this season have been about her leaving permanently. I think Jill is the weakest character, I could do with a lot less of her.

I think it is interesting to see Hank floundering at the business side while Evan tackles trying to get his doctors to be more like Hank. I love the new doc, I know I've seen the actor before but can't place him. (Not the one from the hospital that Divya dated, the other one).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Ment

Liked that Divya wasn't successful getting them back together that would be easy writing. Probably going to go the way of Hank pairing up with this college buddy/rival and finding that not only is the grass not greener than the other side of the fence but the green has alot of Benjamin faces on it. Hope they don't go the Hank/Evan's dad gets sick storyline. Speaking of..whatever happened to Boris?
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
JMikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Speaking of..whatever happened to Boris?
I was wondering that myself. Maybe they ran low on ideas for the character.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
aaronw

I'm still watching, but I'm not into it as much as I was initially. I watch Necessary Roughness and Suits (and White Collar) before this one...
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
She's supposed to be a doctor, but whenever she's with Hank, it appears she knows NOTHING about diagnosis or medicine in general. And then she's going to Africa to treat patients there. Anyway, I'll miss her character. Nice eye candy, and I liked her chemistry with Hank.
She's not a doctor, she was always a Hospital Administrator. Her new job is doing coordination and setup for general health care, and not treat patients.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I really was expecting Jill to wind up as Hank's business manager, so this new globetrotting job was a bit disappointing.

I guess this will give the actress more time to make overtures to Kalinda on The Good Wife.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
SNJpage1

Ive watched the past two weeks but losing interest and last nite deleted the show with out even watching it. I started losing interest last year.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Bob Coxner

It's dropping down my list of interests but it's still good enough to make the cut. It looks like Evan has hired a physician version of Big Bang Sheldon.

I'm another one who has been wondering what happened to Boris. It would have been nice to at least wrap up that story arc, the way they did with Jill.

Suits is now much higher than RP on my summer list.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I'm another one who has been wondering what happened to Boris. It would have been nice to at least wrap up that story arc, the way they did with Jill.
Um, what haven't they wrapped up? The hereditary disease wasn't, he got a wife figure, had a kid, is now happy about it (and told Hank as much in his "dread to hope" speech), and an olive branch appeared to heal the intra-family schism.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
fritolayguy
Science, bitches

Also tired of the Jill leaving/not leaving storyline. My wife keeps pausing and talking to Jill every time she talks about it."Please leave already...".. get on with it already.
fritolayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
Sadara
huh?

I'm still watching and considering I'm not recording much right now, I'm watching it pretty much right away.

I'm impartial to her being there or being gone. She didn't excite me and I didn't totally dislike her character either.

I will say that I'm looking forward to the moment that the feud ends. I think they both have their strengths and they need to trust that the other is going to do good. But, I think in this situation, Evan wants to be taken seriously and Hank really hasn't done that yet. I also think he underestimated exactly how much Evan did to "run" the business so Hank could "have fun" being a doctor.

Anyway, the only story line that is really getting on my nerves is Divia's family! That either needs to be put away and never covered again or they need to have a family reunion. Either way, I do wish they would wrap that one up.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I watch this show for 3 reasons:

1. Jill Flint is great eye candy.
2. Hank drives a classic Saab just like mine, except mine is white.
3. The scenery is beautiful.

The story has always been pretty weak. It plays in the background as filler and I perk up when Jill or the Saab are in front of the camera.

I was disappointed in season 1 when Jill ditched her 900 convertible for an ugly-a** Prius.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:

Last edited by Jesda : 06-24-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am still watching but enjoying less each episode. The Hank vs HankMed thing is annoying.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Jill leaving is a step in the right direction as she's been a worthless character since S1. The problem I have with the show now is that there's too many part-time characters.
Odds Bodkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadara View Post
I'm still watching and considering I'm not recording much right now, I'm watching it pretty much right away.

I'm impartial to her being there or being gone. She didn't excite me and I didn't totally dislike her character either.

I will say that I'm looking forward to the moment that the feud ends. I think they both have their strengths and they need to trust that the other is going to do good. But, I think in this situation, Evan wants to be taken seriously and Hank really hasn't done that yet. I also think he underestimated exactly how much Evan did to "run" the business so Hank could "have fun" being a doctor.

Anyway, the only story line that is really getting on my nerves is Divia's family! That either needs to be put away and never covered again or they need to have a family reunion. Either way, I do wish they would wrap that one up.
I agree with you on all three points. Jill hasn't made enough of an impression on me to really care.
The feud I really want to be over, it's had some interesting points but they do need to get back to business as usual. Having their dad show up might be what gets it done.
Divia's family thing hopefully has been leading up to something. I completely forget about it, then they have what looks like a small reminder pop up. Like Jill being around, if that whole thread was dropped completely I might not even notice.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Interestingly enough, some of the pop up reminders of other story lines is what makes this unique. It seems more real life to have something pop up rather than deal with it for weeks on end. That's how life is sometimes.

Evan and his obsession over the business is getting annoying. Not even remembering that his fiancee was back and then going 3 days before finding out why is a bit much.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Is anyone still watching? I'm a bit disappointed in the Boris plot line. All this secrecy for a doctor to come along so as not to mess up a business deal? Seems far fetched.

Still love the show
Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
cheesesteak
Meh.

Divya should have smothered her a-hole father with a pillow.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
ElJay

Hank sure has no problem getting women.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #21
Peter000

Still watching. I love the new Hank-med doctor. His character really intrigues me for some reason. I hope he becomes a regular (like intro-credits regular).

I think they still have a great cast with awesome chemistry.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #22
cheesesteak
Meh.

Surely Hank has made enough money off of these rich people to buy a new car.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #23
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
He's said before he loves his car and doesn't want a new one. He did get Evan the minivan.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have enjoyed the story of HankMD growing and Evan and Hank getting things organized. Not really intrigued with the Boris story....I admit to FF'ing thru most of it, that and the Divia and Dad story. Sigh. I am still a loyal watcher though. Not sure if skipping 2 of the 3 story arcs is loyal. As a geek I did enjoy the play on Star Trek this past week. That was fun.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Yes, the Star Trek stuff was fun.

So excess sulphur in the body results in green blood? Heh.

An underlying blood disease that causes diabetes, liver disease, and depression? And treated by bloodletting? I should ask my doctors about that.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #26
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
It's a Saab 900 turbo convertible. Why in the world would he want to downgrade from the best car ever made?

<-- Owner a 900 turbo 'vert.

Half the reason I tune in is for the Saab. The other half was for Jill Flint. The other female characters are growing on me though.

My blog:
Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Is anyone still watching? I'm a bit disappointed in the Boris plot line. All this secrecy for a doctor to come along so as not to mess up a business deal? Seems far fetched.

Still love the show
I suspect the translator is really a spy. They really made it obvious she's up to no good.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Yes, the Star Trek stuff was fun.

So excess sulphur in the body results in green blood? Heh.

An underlying blood disease that causes diabetes, liver disease, and depression? And treated by bloodletting? I should ask my doctors about that.
They featured the same disease on House. Yes, House's solution was bloodletting.

Google has lots of information on hemochromatosis.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...mochromatosis/

Also:
Quote:
Sulfhemoglobinemia (or sulfhemoglobinaemia) is a rare condition in which there is excess sulfhemoglobin (SulfHb) in the blood. The pigment is a greenish derivative of hemoglobin which cannot be converted back to normal, functional hemoglobin. It causes cyanosis even at low blood levels.

It is a rare blood condition that occurs when a sulfur atom is incorporated into the hemoglobin molecule. When hydrogen sulfide (H2S) (or sulfide ions) and ferric ions combine in the blood, the blood is incapable of carrying oxygen.
Who knew?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #29
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I'm confused by the Boris story and skip through most of it.

My blog:
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I'm confused by the Boris story and skip through most of it.
Skipping through it might explain why you find it confusing.

Boris is working on a big oil deal, which has to be kept highly confidential. That's why he has requested Hank to sign the non-disclosure agreement. The principal other party that they are in negotiations with is a close friend of Boris, and is reportedly unwell. Boris has heard some things about his health issues, and has brought Hank in on it to medically help this guy, if needed. He was needed, as Hank had discovered that he was misdiagnosed. He had a very bad incident where he lost consciousness, and had a heart arrhythmia, which Hank fixed (at least temporarily). Boris is worried about his buddy, who doesn't like doctors, and has brought in Hank to help his friend.

It was a little more cloak and daggar than was entirely necessary, but you know, DRAMA and all!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote