TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
jhilla

Lightbulb TivoAir WebBrowser (DEVELOPER CALLOUT)

An Adobe air developer "Scott Johnson" created a WebBrowser capable of Flash playback and JavaScript. I have emailed back and fourth about broadcasting the app into Bonjour ports and its possible we maybe closer then ever imagined.

install or learn more use search engine type in -> lucentminds . com adobe air
I'm unable to post the link, since I reactivated my membership here.

This is an call-out to all interested in helping get the browser viewable as a Tivo app.

John
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
jhilla

First message to Air Developer

Name: Visitor
Dept:
Site: lucentminds.com

Hello, based on your proto-type i wish to run an experiment of port discovery on a Tivo Primere. Tivo released this product with Adobe Air as the interface so it's loaded wide, plus in a few months Tivo is releasing a new .SDK for developers. But as a standalone user, I have been searching for a way to browse the web on a tivo and have never gotten this close to a possible yes. Where in the source code can we modify PORTS for Bonjour to discover?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
jhilla

Response from AirDeveloper

I'm not sure. It's all vanilla Adobe Air. Changing the ports for an outgoing connection should be as easy as putting a new port in the outgoing url. I've never developed for Bonjour, but I would imagine that for it to discover something it would have to be running as a socket server similar to this...

/devnet/air/flex/articles/creating_socket_server.html

~~
Scott Johnson
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Step back a bit. Announcing an app to the TiVo, and getting it to run, are two separate things. I've managed to run a number of Flash apps on my Premiere (usually not well), by using moyekj's method of starting them via the "iPad" remote interface. And I've assumed there would be some way of announcing them via Bonjour, as with HME apps, but I've so far been unable to make that happen. Do you know something I don't?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
jhilla

wishfull thinking

You know you're right, guess i let the idea run away from for a moment. Plus when i launched the air app it did load and function but there are no buttons you have to type the url plus once you start use AIR it detects the need to be updated.

Ok, on that note.. I guess we all need to wait for the new .sdk to release to see what the new Tivo can really do.

Sorry everyone..
Old 06-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilla View Post
An Adobe air developer "Scott Johnson" created a WebBrowser capable of Flash playback and JavaScript. I have emailed back and fourth about broadcasting the app into Bonjour ports and its possible we maybe closer then ever imagined.

install or learn more use search engine type in -> lucentminds . com adobe air
I'm unable to post the link, since I reactivated my membership here.

This is an call-out to all interested in helping get the browser viewable as a Tivo app.

John
Pardon my complete ignorance as I help you get to the magic number of posts that'll let you post links and PM and all that good stuff, but are we talking about a web browser that would run on, or be run by, the TiVo itself, so that it shows up on the TV screen, or is this something that would run on something else (PC, smartphone, curling iron) and give you some sort of remote access to the TiVo previously unavailable?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
jhilla

the idea

My idea was take the proto-type and using the URL output as a port that Tivo could see. In theory I thought it would allow the app to show on the list where HME is displayed along with Galleon and Streambaby. The downside, I do not see any navigation controls in order to go back a page I had to hold down Ctrl-Left arrow. It has potential, but as the developer told me He has not experienced Bonjour before. This was a fleeting thought, did not realize at the time the commotion that would be stirred. That and I put in ALL caps a strong comment. It's true, it would be cool to browse on a tivo but it maybe a little more complicated then i imagined. Anyhow if there was enough curiousity the sourcecode I will post the actual link for the product for a further look. Scott has opened the project for anyone's use.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilla View Post
My idea was take the proto-type and using the URL output as a port that Tivo could see. In theory I thought it would allow the app to show on the list where HME is displayed along with Galleon and Streambaby. The downside, I do not see any navigation controls in order to go back a page I had to hold down Ctrl-Left arrow. It has potential, but as the developer told me He has not experienced Bonjour before. This was a fleeting thought, did not realize at the time the commotion that would be stirred. That and I put in ALL caps a strong comment. It's true, it would be cool to browse on a tivo but it maybe a little more complicated then i imagined. Anyhow if there was enough curiousity the sourcecode I will post the actual link for the product for a further look. Scott has opened the project for anyone's use.
Okay, I'll be back in about a year after I've read up enough to be able to discuss this intelligently (or at all).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
jhilla

Red face Streaming n' Clicking

Just test the apps like i do and send feedback to make it better. I use Galleon & Streambaby on my Primere XL. Although I am learning that Youtube is loaded with content, and because you are logged in as a Youtube user can play Crackle Films inside it -authenticated- yep that means it also plays the R-rating films vs. playing them in Boxee prompting for a login. I also find using Streambaby is more affective then say uploading the videos to a private channel on Youtube due to encoding over the web. More importantly I had intended to use the Playon pluggin with Pytivo, but before i could figure out the port issues in time my trial to Playon expired. Naturally I didn't want to spend any money and for those unaware of a Playon trial when you first download it your forced to register an email address what you may not be aware is that your IP is logged in a database so if any further attempts to register a new trial would auto expire the new trial showing it's expired. Luckily, my tivo came with a 6month Trial to Hulu.. Awesome, except the movie listings are um older. I'm convinced I will be unable to watch Sliders on here as it makes the Hulu app crash? Unknown reason so gave up and loaded "Third Rock from the Sun" great series ahh the 90's! So, in closing. I'm waiting to see what this new. SDK for Tivo Adobe Air will bring to us, I'm just sad for those on the older series that are unable to go forward with updates. But I feel your pain, I was upset and abandoned when our Tivo Series 2DT ran it's course when the 3, XL and HD arrived. To bad Tivo bricks old boxes from network access otherwise I could beam shows in and out for the kids. But honestly we went from being attached to "XBMC/Navi-x" to pure Youtube on Tivo.

Enough about us, how do you use your Tivo?