TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #61
cwashizawa

I live in Foster City/San Mateo of the bay area and just received my comcast on-demand update on Sunday 4/29/12.

Here are the screen shots.

The interface as with most HD menus on the Premiere lag a bit. I'd say a good 80% of free content is in SD, while the remaining 20% in in HD.

While we are using our free 6 month trial that came bundled with our Tivo premiere it's nice to have addl. content to view.
cwashizawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #62
blackngold75

[quote=While we are using our free 6 month trial that came bundled with our Tivo premiere it's nice to have addl. content to view.[/QUOTE]

6-month trial of ?what? came bundled with your Premiere?
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #63
mattack

Saved video on demand? Is that kind of like a Netflix queue?

(Repeating myself -- is anything worth watching without commercials or at least has skippable commercials?)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #64
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
Saved video on demand? Is that kind of like a Netflix queue?

(Repeating myself -- is anything worth watching without commercials or at least has skippable commercials?)
If it's anything like the cable box VOD, saved shows are shows you've watched in the last 24 hours.

If you subscribe to a Premium channel, you can watch all the VOD for that channel for free. Those don't have commercials. Some regular channels don't have commercials either, though they might have promos. Most shows can be fast forward, with the exception of stuff from Fox.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #65
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
If it's anything like the cable box VOD, saved shows are shows you've watched in the last 24 hours.

If you subscribe to a Premium channel, you can watch all the VOD for that channel for free. Those don't have commercials. Some regular channels don't have commercials either, though they might have promos. Most shows can be fast forward, with the exception of stuff from Fox.
That's what it is.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #66
CharlesH

Heard an ad for Comcast OnDemand + TiVo today on the radio. It wasn't clear if it was a Comcast ad or TiVo ad, but it DID promote the fact that on your TiVo Premier you can now access both Comcast OnDemand and various online sources of video content. This is a significant change: previously Comcast was adamant that if a device would provide access their OnDemand library on your TV, that it could not also support other sources like NetFlix or Amazon.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #67
jk5598224

backport to Tivo HD

When (or if) will a software backport be made to support Comcast On Demand with Tivo HD. If it is not going to be backported, why?

Like many, I have a $700 or so invest with Tivo HD, and without a lifetime transfer option, I can't see upgrading to the latest os / hardware version of Tivo that would support this enhancement.

Thanks in advance.
jk5598224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #68
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk5598224 View Post
When (or if) will a software backport be made to support Comcast On Demand with Tivo HD. If it is not going to be backported, why?
There will be no more development on the TiVo HD. It still will continue to work for years to come but they aren't going to invest resources into new features for it.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #69
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk5598224 View Post

Like many, I have a $700 or so invest with Tivo HD, and without a lifetime transfer option, I can't see upgrading to the latest os / hardware version of Tivo that would support this enhancement.

Thanks in advance.
Tivo HD's with lifetime go for about 400 on ebay. So that is an option. You can sell the Tivo HD and then buy a new premiere with lifetime and only be out 100 bucks.
100 bucks for a newer box is not to bad i would say
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #70
SunsetKid

Comcast

It is working fine for me but initially it did not. I called Comcast and no surprise I was given bad information. I was told that I needed a two way cable card. I didn't believe him. I called TIVO support and they helped me set it up. I HATE COMCAST! I note that fast forwarding using Xfinity on Demand is much much slower that fast forwarding on a TIVO recording.
SunsetKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #71
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
Tivo HD's with lifetime go for about 400 on ebay. So that is an option. You can sell the Tivo HD and then buy a new premiere with lifetime and only be out 100 bucks.
100 bucks for a newer box is not to bad i would say
What!! An old TiVo HD with lifetime will sell for $400.00, you're kidding. I have a TiVo HD with a one TB hard drive in it with lifetime what will that sell for?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #72
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
What!! An old TiVo HD with lifetime will sell for $400.00, you're kidding. I have a TiVo HD with a one TB hard drive in it with lifetime what will that sell for?
395 for one with 500GB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tivo-series-...#ht_500wt_1156
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #73
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really like having the On Demand stuff. It's like an emergency parachute in case I get bored or I miss a show on regular TV. It's far more useful to me than HULU or Netflix (how many Movie services does one really need?). So I for one, welcome our Comcast overlords into the TiVo fold. I think it's a great addition and may end up selling a few Premiere boxes, which is a good thing for all of us.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #74
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I really like having the On Demand stuff. It's like an emergency parachute in case I get bored or I miss a show on regular TV. It's far more useful to me than HULU or Netflix (how many Movie services does one really need?). So I for one, welcome our Comcast overlords into the TiVo fold. I think it's a great addition and may end up selling a few Premiere boxes, which is a good thing for all of us.
I really like it since I have been able to turn off Amazon which teases you since you have to pay for everything with a amazon logo! Now with Xfinitiy I don't buy anything since I subscribe to all the premium channels and many of the movies that are recommended to me are now free (included with my subscription) Which is great since I don't have to double pay for content!

II would like to have filter options for each video source. For example I could setup a wishlist type ruleset for the xfinity saying: only show me Xfinity VOD content thats inHD and Free/included with my cable package.

Hulu/Netflix really don't need much filtering since there is no additional pay content.

If Vudu ever was added (which it really show be) I would like genera type filtering. Show me Vudu movie but only the latest releases (the only things I actually rent onDemand or Vudu HDX movies)

If HBO Go was added I would like to tell the TiVo to pull HBO content from that app instead of xfinity ondemand.

Really the power of tivo in my mind is the advance filters and being able to add them to apps in some fashion would really be nice. I wish there was a master option that was: Show me ONLY HD content.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #75
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
I really like it since I have been able to turn off Amazon which teases you since you have to pay for everything with a amazon logo! Now with Xfinitiy I don't buy anything since I subscribe to all the premium channels and many of the movies that are recommended to me are now free (included with my subscription) Which is great since I don't have to double pay for content!

II would like to have filter options for each video source. For example I could setup a wishlist type ruleset for the xfinity saying: only show me Xfinity VOD content thats inHD and Free/included with my cable package.

Hulu/Netflix really don't need much filtering since there is no additional pay content.

If Vudu ever was added (which it really show be) I would like genera type filtering. Show me Vudu movie but only the latest releases (the only things I actually rent onDemand or Vudu HDX movies)

If HBO Go was added I would like to tell the TiVo to pull HBO content from that app instead of xfinity ondemand.

Really the power of tivo in my mind is the advance filters and being able to add them to apps in some fashion would really be nice. I wish there was a master option that was: Show me ONLY HD content.
What you just requested is just what the Showcase use to do before TiVo change it to the Crapcase.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #76
inaka

So for everyone in the Bay Area with a Premier and On Demand, do we all have the small black bars on the left/right sides of the picture?

I'm seeing it as well, and it's not based on programming, but rather starts when I go into the video on demand menu in the first place.

Not a terrible flaw, I just wanted to know if it was based on a particular display setup, software update, etc.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #77
btwyx
Substantive Member

I'm seeing them.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #78
inaka

Related to the small black bars on the left/right sides of the picture during Xfinity On Demand viewing on the Premiere, I called Tivo tech support just to see if this is a known issue.

It's not. In fact, they said it isn't Tivo's issue at all as they are merely a portal for Comcast's On Demand feed. (Even though their portal window is likely what's causing the issue.)

So if anyone has this issue in the bay area, you may want to call to report it so they know it's an issue. If not, there likely won't be a fix. Just FYI.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #79
jrtroo
User

You spoke with a csr, correct? They don't get the full scoop.

The bars are well known and discussed at length in several threads. Check out the Premiere forums or tivo Margret's twitter feed.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #80
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You spoke with a csr, correct? They don't get the full scoop.

The bars are well known and discussed at length in several threads. Check out the Premiere forums or tivo Margret's twitter feed.
I spoke with the tivo tech support, then asked to speak to a higher up.
I'm well aware of the issue, but trying to tell them about the issue is a different story.

That's why I was posting it here.
Maybe if enough people call in the issue, they'll get it quicker and provide a software fix.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #81
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
I spoke with the tivo tech support, then asked to speak to a higher up.
I'm well aware of the issue, but trying to tell them about the issue is a different story.

That's why I was posting it here.
Maybe if enough people call in the issue, they'll get it quicker and provide a software fix.
There appears to be a fix in the pipeline.

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #82
inaka

Very cool! Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #83
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
There appears to be a fix in the pipeline.

This does not seem to be isolated to Comcast, as Jason at RCN also posted the following:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27173611-
"we will be moving forward with deployment (20.X) and coupling this with a NEW VOD upgrade as well to address the black bars on HD content."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #84
inaka

Yeah, I figured it couldn't be Comcast only just on a hunch since I was seeing the skewed aspect ratio on Tivo's own Video On Demand menu, even before you make a selection.

Good to hear they have a fix in the pipeline though.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #85
inaka

Fixed!

No more small black bars on Comcast's On-Demand now.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #86
inaka

Just a heads up in case Bay Area people still see black bars with on demand:

New Software Version (Corrected):
20.2.1.2-01-2-758

Old Software Version (Still Showing Black Bars w/On Demand)
20.2.1.1-01-2-758
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #87
hal2k2

WOW Tivo+Cocast+Xfinity+On Demand+Portland, Oregon

Just got my notification email from TIVO regarding this great new feature!!!

It AWESOME (cause it works).

OK have to admit still waiting for the other shoe to drop (obviously a long time tivo/comcast customer).

My son (to get the "kid" prospective) and I gave it a test drive this afternoon and we love it!!!!

TC all

Hal
hal2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote