TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
krisca

Need some advice...wanting to get a new system

I had paid the lifetime tivo in 2001. I had the box for 9 years when I started having problems with the unit. I paid $250 to Weakness to fix. Long story.. short.. but they did not fix it after three different times and they would not give me my money back. Bad company!! At that time I could not get a Direct TV Tivo box. So I was forced to get a Direct Tivo DVR which sucks. I would like to buy a new Premiere box for the main living room and 2 other boxes for the bedrooms. I was quoted $1300 for that. They said when I paid for lifetime Tivo it was for the lifetime of the unit. That was never mentioned otherwise I would not have done that. It was for Lifetime Tivo period!! Now they want me to pay for it all over again. I was a loyal customer and I think that is a rip off. I still have to original box. I really want to get Tivo back. I currently have Direct TV but was told from Tivo that Charter " supports their system" I can change to Charter if that would help. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kris
krisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
jfh3

If you don't have a grandfathered TiVo (lifetime purchased before January 2000), you are out of luck. TiVo has made it VERY clear since then that "lifetime" meant "lifetime of the box", not "your lifetime".

You've had TiVo service for less than $20 A YEAR! I'd say you got your money's worth.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
jcthorne

Sorry, lots of folks want new systems for free too. Does not work that way.

Tivo Premiere and Charter Cable work fine together, get the cable cards from Charter and install in your new premiere or Premiere XL4.

You might want to go with just a Premiere XL4 for now and wait for the new IP settop box to be released in the next few months for the secondary locations. Would be much cheaper than 4 tivos.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
ldobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisca View Post
I had paid the lifetime tivo in 2001. I had the box for 9 years when I started having problems with the unit. I paid $250 to Weakness to fix. Long story.. short.. but they did not fix it after three different times and they would not give me my money back. Bad company!! At that time I could not get a Direct TV Tivo box. So I was forced to get a Direct Tivo DVR which sucks. I would like to buy a new Premiere box for the main living room and 2 other boxes for the bedrooms. I was quoted $1300 for that. They said when I paid for lifetime Tivo it was for the lifetime of the unit. That was never mentioned otherwise I would not have done that. It was for Lifetime Tivo period!! Now they want me to pay for it all over again. I was a loyal customer and I think that is a rip off. I still have to original box. I really want to get Tivo back. I currently have Direct TV but was told from Tivo that Charter " supports their system" I can change to Charter if that would help. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kris
Nope Sorry, it's the lifetime of that unit, looks like you misunderstood.

Likewise I had a $6.95/mo rate on my TiVo HD, yet they would not let me transfer that service to my new elite, so had to go with a $99 lifetime and pony up $12.99/mo on the new unit, does it suck? yes! but that's how it is.
ldobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

I don't believe this misunderstanding for a second. Why would someone pay $250 for a repair when, with their "understanding", all units automatically received free lifetime service. A new unit, especially an s2, would be muuuuuch cheaper than that.

So, yes, if you want lifetime units you will need to pay for lifetime units. You will be able to get a discount on lifetime service with the new ones, but that is it. No such thing as a free lunch.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo
I don't believe this misunderstanding for a second. Why would someone pay $250 for a repair when, with their "understanding", all units automatically received free lifetime service. A new unit, especially an s2, would be muuuuuch cheaper than that.

So, yes, if you want lifetime units you will need to pay for lifetime units. You will be able to get a discount on lifetime service with the new ones, but that is it. No such thing as a free lunch.
Or just buy one on eBay or this forum that already has lifetime. And why would any person in their right mind pay $250 to fix a S1 TiVo.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Or just buy one on eBay or this forum that already has lifetime. And why would any person in their right mind pay $250 to fix a S1 TiVo.
Because sometimes folks just don't know what their options are, happens all the time when folks are paying attention to other things in their life.

I hang out here a lot, I like TCF, and I learn a lot from folks that are here, but the OP has 4 posts in the past 4 years, I don't expect them to keep up with all the stuff we TCF'aholics do.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat
Because sometimes folks just don't know what their options are, happens all the time when folks are paying attention to other things in their life.

I hang out here a lot, I like TCF, and I learn a lot from folks that are here, but the OP has 4 posts in the past 4 years, I don't expect them to keep up with all the stuff we TCF'aholics do.
I guess so but I like to check out my options before I drop that kinda cash.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post

And one of the 4 was a crossposting of this post. The other 2 were a crossposting of the first part of the initial post in this thread, the "complaint" against weaKnees.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
I had paid the lifetime tivo in 2001.....
They said when I paid for lifetime Tivo it was for the lifetime of the unit. That was never mentioned otherwise I would not have done that. It was for Lifetime Tivo period!!
Kris
You're absolutely wrong. That's why there is the one-time grandfather exception as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Since 2000, they made it clear that it was lifetime FOR THAT unit.

Plus, you have missed AT LEAST 3 (to series 2, to series 3, and to Tivo HD) lifetime "transfer" specials. I put that in quotes, since IIRC, the latter 2 were a discounted transfer ($200?), and were ones I took advantage of. I would get Elite/XL4 (same thing, different badge) right away if they had another transfer!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
I would get Elite/XL4 (same thing, different badge) right away if they had another transfer!
in a heartbeat!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
And one of the 4 was a crossposting of this post. The other 2 were a crossposting of the first part of the initial post in this thread, the "complaint" against weaKnees.
If I paid WeaKnees that kind of money when they could have done the repair if necessary just by moving the crypto chip to another motherboard, and they couldn't fix and wouldn't refund, I'd be complaining all over the place as well.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
takeshi

Quote:
I can change to Charter if that would help.
It's not going to help you to get free lifetime on a new box.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Kris
Actually, lifetime goes with the crypto chip on the unit motherboard, because that's where the TiVo Service Number is stored.

At least on the stand alone TiVos, the ones that were not also a DirecTV tuner box. Apparently a lifetime on them involves the TiVo sub and the DirecTV sub getting entangled so that both companies can blame the other one or something like that.

Someone who knows what they're doing soldering and unsoldering surface mount devices (which is a bit different from the regular soldering experience) can transplant that chip to another S1 motherboard of the same model.

Of course it'll still only be an S1.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote