TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #31
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I thought the ending with the family watching the video was sweet, and I am probably overthinking this, but I thought it was odd that Stan and Mitch would let the kids watch the video without looking at it first-there could have been anything on that video...like I said, probably overthinking....
Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #32
cheesesteak
Meh.

The viewing of Rosie's video made me misty.

I'd given up earlier in the season but wanted to know how things resolved so I watched the last two episodes. I chuckled when it was still raining and Mitch Larsen was still the most miserable person in the universe. I had to resist ffwding through all of her scenes.

The acting on this show was always first rate. It was the constant depressing atmosphere and the miserable Larsen family that I hated. Also, the crime should have been solved in one season.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #33
rrrobinsonjr

SIAP

Didn't Terry find a photo of Rosie in the trunk of the campaign car in Stan's desk a couple of episodes ago? Did I miss something? It seemed like a really odd moment that I had no idea how they would explain.....they didn't....Or did I misinterpret what I was seeing.
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #34
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrobinsonjr View Post
Didn't Terry find a photo of Rosie in the trunk of the campaign car in Stan's desk a couple of episodes ago?
Yeah, it was a police photograph. I don't think the implication was that Stan was the photographer or anything.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #35
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrobinsonjr View Post
SIAP

Didn't Terry find a photo of Rosie in the trunk of the campaign car in Stan's desk a couple of episodes ago? Did I miss something? It seemed like a really odd moment that I had no idea how they would explain.....they didn't....Or did I misinterpret what I was seeing.
It was supposed to plant a seed that Terry had something to do with it. That was the first time she had seen the result of her actions. I think the actress was trying to look ashamed, guilty, scared, and sad all at the same time.

And yes, it was just the police photo that was taken from Rosies file by Stans mobster buddy.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #36
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post

How come Aames isn't in any trouble? Jaime didn't tell Richmond that Aames was there at the park, but Terry confessed that he was there so I'm guessing the cops will be locking him up for being an accessory, etc. Just weird the way they left it with Richmond taking a meeting with him and Jackson... I'm not sure why the decided to leave Richmond off as a game-playing d-bag though, after two seasons of him trying to be the opposite. Just seemed odd.
When the chief walked in (and you only saw her) she said "Thanks for dealing with those charges - they were ludicrous" - so Richmond "fixed" her situation for her. Then Ames followed, leaving you to assume he "fixed" his situation as well. Then the look on Gwen's face when she realizes Richmond is just another slimy politician, just like her dad (and JUST as Jamie had accused him). Juxtapose this with the scene where Richmond tells her he is "moving on" and a smile creeped up on her face. She was sure she knew him at that point, but she was proven wrong. Some superb writing and acting. Not much dialog needed when your actors can pull of subtlety like that. Reminds me of The Wire.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #37
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I guess I am in the minority, but I enjoyed the whole run of this series. I never understood the ‎incredible hatred people had for this show- it has to be one of the most unfairly criticized television ‎shows of all time.‎
I agree 100%.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #38
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
OK it appears I am in the minority from the love.

I "liked" it but in the end I was just watching from habit
- I think they failed in so many places.

Most importantly Rosie Larsen all but disappeared as the focal point of the show in season 2 and then in the last couple of episodes they tried to bring her back to the forefront and it was too little too late..
Could not disagree more. I agree with a previous poster that the show used the Rosie Larsen murder as a vehicle to explore the other characters on the show. I felt it was very well done and superbly acted.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #39
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Yeah, it was a police photograph. I don't think the implication was that Stan was the photographer or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
It was supposed to plant a seed that Terry had something to do with it. That was the first time she had seen the result of her actions. I think the actress was trying to look ashamed, guilty, scared, and sad all at the same time.

And yes, it was just the police photo that was taken from Rosies file by Stans mobster buddy.
Thanks!
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #40
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
It seems that some people take it personally when someone expresses dislike for a show that they like. Almost like the person who dislikes the show is somehow insulting people who do like the show. I cannot understand or sympathize with that sort of attitude, but unfortunately it does not seem to be a rare attitude around here.
For me personally I do not understand why someone would watch the show religiously for two seasons only to come to this forum to trash it every single week. I know for me if I dislike a show I don't watch it.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
Old 06-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
For me personally I do not understand why someone would watch the show religiously for two seasons only to come to this forum to trash it every single week. I know for me if I dislike a show I don't watch it.
Maybe they like doing it. Does everyone have to be like you?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #42
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:

pretty sure the actress wasn't, as she didn't find out she was the killer until 2 hours before the table read for the episode. It also cracks me u that I have read a lot of people saying they thought she was guilty because of the way she was acting or things she said or did. If the actress had no clue, she obviously wasn't conveying those things to you, and if there was evidence that she was the killer, I would think she'd have caught on. She said she was completely surprised by the revelation, and it made her break down in tears.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #43
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
pretty sure the actress wasn't, as she didn't find out she was the killer until 2 hours before the table read for the episode. It also cracks me u that I have read a lot of people saying they thought she was guilty because of the way she was acting or things she said or did. If the actress had no clue, she obviously wasn't conveying those things to you, and if there was evidence that she was the killer, I would think she'd have caught on. She said she was completely surprised by the revelation, and it made her break down in tears.
So you don't think the director of the episode instructed her how to act in that scene?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #44
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
So you don't think the director of the episode instructed her how to act in that scene?
Exactly. To suggest that the actress received little or no direction on how to act in previous scenes as well as the finale is ludicrous. She (Jamie Anne Allman, and most everyone on the show) are excellent actors...

Also HERE is an interview with Jamie about the finale/series...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #45
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Apparently not in such a way that she had a clue what she was doing...
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #46
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Not sure where the show is gonna go from here... Curious if it'll even come back. Does anyone follow the ratings? I wonder how it tracks against things like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and Mad Man.
Season finale ratings:
Breaking Bad - 1.897 million viewers - 1.0 18-49 rating
Walking Dead - 8.991 million viewers - 4.7 18-49 rating
Mad Men - 2.701 million viewers - 0.9 18-49 rating
The Killing - 1.448 million viewers - 0.5 18-49 rating

IMO, The Killing is not likely to be back next year.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #47
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Did they ever explain why Rosie was depositing over $1k a week? At one time we were lead to believe she was involved in the prostitution ring, then it came out that she wasn't.

And would she really make that much money from cleaning?
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #48
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Season finale ratings:
Breaking Bad - 1.897 million viewers - 1.0 18-49 rating
Walking Dead - 8.991 million viewers - 4.7 18-49 rating
Mad Men - 2.701 million viewers - 0.9 18-49 rating
The Killing - 1.448 million viewers - 0.5 18-49 rating

IMO, The Killing is not likely to be back next year.
I'm not so sure about that. It was generally critically acclaimed (even with haters like Sepinwall) and generated a LOT of media buzz. I'd be disappointed if it doesn't get at least one more season...

EDIT: Although these percentages don't portend well for the show...the ratings were down 17 percent from the premiere and down 35 percent from its freshman finale.

Last edited by Bierboy : 06-20-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #49
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Count me in the minority. I really liked the first third of season 1. Then I became disappointed in the drop in quality but still enjoyed the show. This level of enjoyment continued until this episode. I thought it was the worst episode of the series, by far. The acting was fine and some of the scenes with the Larson family were actually pretty good, but all of the revelations were thin and most of the other characters behaved in seemingly arbitrary ways. My wife was more forgiving of this episode because she thought they might be writing it as a wrap-up for the series. Taken in that light, I guess it did accomplish that goal. Still, I was very disappointed in this episode.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #50
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
Did they ever explain why Rosie was depositing over $1k a week? At one time we were lead to believe she was involved in the prostitution ring, then it came out that she wasn't.

And would she really make that much money from cleaning?
There were lots of plot holes.
Did they ever explain why Stan's credit card was found in the woods?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #51
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
There were lots of plot holes.
Did they ever explain why Stan's credit card was found in the woods?
Wasn't Rosie planning on "running away" (not exactly the right term) to do something related to butterflies? I assumed maybe she grabbed the card as a means of paying for her journey?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #52
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Wasn't Rosie planning on "running away" (not exactly the right term) to do something related to butterflies? I assumed maybe she grabbed the card as a means of paying for her journey?
Yes, she was planning on going away, but it doesn't fit that she would steal her dad's credit card. I guess that's what we are supposed to believe though. Just another instance of bad writing on this show.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #53
tiams

I must say I thought the directing, cinematography and acting were great. But horrible writing.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #54
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Yes, she was planning on going away, but it doesn't fit that she would steal her dad's credit card.....
Why not? That would be perfectly logical (aside from revealing where's she would be when using it)...she would need the money if she didn't have enough saved...
Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #55
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Wow. Great final, great acting. I'll really miss this show. Having a new Madmen and The Killing each week was a nice weekly treat of high end TV.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #56
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Why not? That would be perfectly logical (aside from revealing where's she would be when using it)...she would need the money if she didn't have enough saved...
It doesn't make sense because the video she made for her family showed she loved them and wasn't out to hurt them. And she left without telling them so she obviously wanted to break away from them start a new adventure and not be found. She had been planning it for a while. That's why her stealing the credit card is not logical and it is unconvincing writing.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #57
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Maybe they like doing it. Does everyone have to be like you?
Yes they do...

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
Old 06-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #58
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
It doesn't make sense because the video she made for her family showed she loved them and wasn't out to hurt them. And she left without telling them so she obviously wanted to break away from them start a new adventure and not be found. She had been planning it for a while. That's why her stealing the credit card is not logical and it is unconvincing writing.
Simply do not agree. She could easily see taking the credit card as not hurting them, but just helping her on her trip. Just another way for her family to provide for her. Frankly, I don't see that taking the credit card would hurt her family unless she abused using it...it's not nearly as illogical and unconvincing as you claim.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #59
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:

"Hey, act all guilty and stuff."

"Ok. So I'm guilty?"

If you read any of the interviews the actress has done, she watched dozens of murder confessions on youtube.

Last edited by Mikeyis4dcats : 06-20-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #60
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
in the confession scene? No, if you read the interviews she's done she watched dozens of murder confession videos on youtube.