TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
davezatz
Funkadelic

TiVo "Stream" Transcoder & IP STB Now Set For Fall Launch

Updated timing. But first ever pic of the trapezoidal IP STB from The Cable Show in Boston.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-05/...r-fall-launch/

(That's the IP STB on the left and the TiVo Preview on the right.)
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
JoeTaxpayer

What is latest on Preview?

As I understand so far, the preview uses Moca protocol to send data back on the cable line and the Elite will talk to the Preview. In effect, a way of using the Elite in multiple rooms with no extra "outlet fee" from Cable Co. The preview will watch recorded show or hijack an available tuner.
I got that all right?

Been searching. Is there a Preview thread I am missing?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

The Preview has its own tuner. It's a full-blown HD STB for cable partners. It's not coming to retail; that's why there aren't too many threads about it.

The box you're thinking of is different. The still-unnamed extender discussed in the above article is what we're getting in the fall. Your description of what it does (tuner hijacking and streaming via MoCA) is correct, though. There hasn't been too much new information since The Cable Show last month.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-18-2012 at 07:02 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hopefully it comes out this Summer. But since Summer doesn't start until Wednesday, that's still a 3 month window.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
JoeTaxpayer

Thanks, Big Jim. I looked again at the Preview brochure, a slot for a cable card. That should had tipped me off the first time.

Whatever the extender is finally called, that will be a great device. I'll stand by patiently.

(In the voice of Bart Simpson)
Is it out yet?
Is it out yet?

See you all in the fall.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
(In the voice of Bart Simpson)
Is it out yet?
Is it out yet?
Heh. Same here.

Aaron, according to Tivo it'll be available to cable partners in the summer... and for retail in the "early fall" (their words). I'd love to get it sooner though.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
LifeIsABeach

I just had a 4-tuner "TiVo Q" and a "TiVo Preview" installed by RCN this weekend. Not sure how similar this will be to the products mentioned in this thread. However:

1. They do use MoCA
2. The TiVo Q seems to be pretty much the 4-tuner TiVo which is currently being sold
3. The boxes can do RCN on-demand, but Netflix, Amazon, etc have been disabled
4. The TiVo Preview can watch anything which has been recorded on the Q
5. The Preview has a tuner for live tv (which is seperate from the 4 for the TiVo Q), but no buffer. You cannot pause, rewind, etc live tv on it.
6. For some reason you cannot record a show from the Preview and have it record on the Q. It just says there is no space left (since the Preview has no hard drive).

That is about all I can think of for now.

Edit: Here is the RCN page about the TiVo Q/Preview:
http://www.rcn.com/philadelphia/digi...e-tv/equipment
Old 06-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
I just had a 4-tuner "TiVo Q" and a "TiVo Preview" installed by RCN this weekend. Not sure how similar this will be to the products mentioned in this thread. However:

5. The Preview has a tuner for live tv (which is seperate from the 4 for the TiVo Q), but no buffer. You cannot pause, rewind, etc live tv on it.

6. For some reason you cannot record a show from the Preview and have it record on the Q. It just says there is no space left (since the Preview has no hard drive).
The software update tentatively scheduled to be rolled out late summer to RCN is supposed to correct these deficiencies (#5 & 6).
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
The software update tentatively scheduled to be rolled out late summer to RCN is supposed to correct these deficiencies (#5 & 6).
How exactly is a software update supposed to add a Live TV buffer or recording capabilities to a device with no hard drive?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
How exactly is a software update supposed to add a Live TV buffer or recording capabilities to a device with no hard drive?
Per RCN, it will start a recording on the remote Q, and MRS it to the Preview.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
That would be great. Loving the 4-tuners so far. Bring on the fall tv season!

Edit: What would be great is to have access to the 4 TiVo Q tuner live buffers on the Preview. They are on the drive we already have access to, so why not?

Last edited by LifeIsABeach : 06-20-2012 at 06:08 AM.
LifeIsABeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

I take it that it does work any premiere?

If the IP STB is like the Preview you should be able to record from it to a premiere

How would the IP STB handle multiple premieres, could this lead to a way to have the IP STB to act as hub to find free tuners on all premieres?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
I take it that it does work any premiere?

If the IP STB is like the Preview you should be able to record from it to a premiere

How would the IP STB handle multiple premieres, could this lead to a way to have the IP STB to act as hub to find free tuners on all premieres?
From what has been leaked, you can link it to any XL4/Elite (not a regular Premiere). This means it will give you a live tv tuner and mirror the XL4's Now Playing list as if it were it's own. If you have other Premiere's on the network, you can use MRS just like you do now to watch content on other boxes.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
BigJimOutlaw

Rainwater said it. At first a pairing with an Elite/XL4 will be mandatory and will "permanently" hijack one of the 4 tuners (making it a 3 tuner box), but it can stream recordings from any other Premiere on the network too.

Sometime later, once the software is more fully baked, the Elite/XL4 requirement will be relaxed and it will be able to hijack tuners from regular Premiere/XL as well, and it will also only borrow tuners as-needed, rather than permanently hijack one.

Exactly how this will all look on the UI side and how intelligent the tuner borrowing will ultimately be, we don't know yet. They're still figuring that out, which is partly why they will mandate an Elite/XL4 at first. The software isn't "there" yet and I suspect they're being pressured to get this out sooner than it's fully ready. IMO.

So basically at first it's going to be kind of an incomplete, not-ideally-functioning box limited to XL4 owners, but will get fixed and opened up with a software update later.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.