TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
jdaniels1982

Exclamation New Elite XL4 Pixelation & Skipping Issues

I am a longtime TiVo lover, and I recently purchased the new XL4 Elite to replace my Premier, which I placed on another tv in the house.

I have run into a consistent issue with certain channels pixelating and dropping of channels. I have worked with my cable company to troubleshoot. I have swapped ou the cable card and had Cablevision run a new line from the pole to my TiVo XL4 and still I run into these same pixelation issues.

Sometimes I have noticed when I am recording a channel, I will completely loose the channels around it. As I have already replaced the cable card and redone all connections, I am left thinking that I have a defective TiVo. Another reason I believe this might be true is my old premier never had any issue while hooked up in the same exact spot.

Can u offer any advice?
See below for what I have done so far....

OK so this is what I have done so far to address the issues...

1st thing I did was call TIVO, of course they said it must be a cable company issue. So the second thing I did was yank out the old cablecard and get a brand new one. Once I had the cable company bind the cablecard, I checked and discovered I was having the same issue with pixelation and occasional loss of the entire channel. (BTW the issue appears to be aggrivated when at least one of the tuners is recording on another channel...wierd).

Next, I called Cablevision after they ran their own tests, they agreed to dispatch technicians to the house to take a look. They were very nice(one of them is a new tivo owner), they actually ended up running brand new cable all the way from the pole into the tivo. Everything appeared to be great until this evening, the pixelation returned, on the same channels!

-Now I'm getting angry, I call Tivo back and tell them I have tried every possible fix through the cable company and still have the same issues (Issues BTW that HAVE NOT HAPPENED on the other 2 yr old Premier box in the house, which used to sit in the same spot hooked up to the same wire as my new XL4).
Now Tivo tells me that mabe it is the Tivo Box, particularly because I noticed the issue tends to be agrivated when recording other channels. So tomorrow I go to Best Buy to exchange for a brand new XL4.

I really thought it was a signal issue, the DVR diagnostic screen continues to show RS Uncorrected Errors in the thousands, but mabe it really is just this damn XL4
Please Help!
Apoligies for the horrible spelling.

Joe
Long Island, NY
jdaniels1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
MeInDallas

You might wanna take a look at this thread and see if any of it sounds familiar.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481894
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Since it's within the BestBuy return window(And probably the TiVo service cancellation window as well), it would have been easiest to just exchange the box with Best Buy initially instead of dealing with the cable company first.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
ComputerLover

my premiere xl's hard time problem with cablecard not show channels on loading ..cable service checked all around my tivo and m card problem.. found my coaxial cable wired too old or worn out need replace new one... cablecard 's channel pop up its work now...
ComputerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
jhjones75

I have The exact same problem. Unplugging the Tivo and replugging it back in fixes it for a couple weeks, then it comes back. Really only happens to network channels like nbc/cbs/fox
jhjones75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniels1982 View Post
I am a longtime TiVo lover, and I recently purchased the new XL4 Elite to replace my Premier, which I placed on another tv in the house.

I have run into a consistent issue with certain channels pixelating and dropping of channels. I have worked with my cable company to troubleshoot. I have swapped ou the cable card and had Cablevision run a new line from the pole to my TiVo XL4 and still I run into these same pixelation issues.

Sometimes I have noticed when I am recording a channel, I will completely loose the channels around it. As I have already replaced the cable card and redone all connections, I am left thinking that I have a defective TiVo. Another reason I believe this might be true is my old premier never had any issue while hooked up in the same exact spot.

Can u offer any advice?
See below for what I have done so far....

OK so this is what I have done so far to address the issues...

1st thing I did was call TIVO, of course they said it must be a cable company issue. So the second thing I did was yank out the old cablecard and get a brand new one. Once I had the cable company bind the cablecard, I checked and discovered I was having the same issue with pixelation and occasional loss of the entire channel. (BTW the issue appears to be aggrivated when at least one of the tuners is recording on another channel...wierd).

Next, I called Cablevision after they ran their own tests, they agreed to dispatch technicians to the house to take a look. They were very nice(one of them is a new tivo owner), they actually ended up running brand new cable all the way from the pole into the tivo. Everything appeared to be great until this evening, the pixelation returned, on the same channels!

-Now I'm getting angry, I call Tivo back and tell them I have tried every possible fix through the cable company and still have the same issues (Issues BTW that HAVE NOT HAPPENED on the other 2 yr old Premier box in the house, which used to sit in the same spot hooked up to the same wire as my new XL4).
Now Tivo tells me that mabe it is the Tivo Box, particularly because I noticed the issue tends to be agrivated when recording other channels. So tomorrow I go to Best Buy to exchange for a brand new XL4.

I really thought it was a signal issue, the DVR diagnostic screen continues to show RS Uncorrected Errors in the thousands, but mabe it really is just this damn XL4
Please Help!
Apoligies for the horrible spelling.

Joe
Long Island, NY
Have they replaced the Tuning Adapter at all
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
jdaniels1982

I have replaced the xl4 once already...same problem continues. The TiVo rep claims that because the signal is being split 4 ways, the box is more sensitive to bad data in the signal then other Premier boxes.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
jdaniels1982

Cablevision came back to the house today and ran an hour's worth of tests on both the line coming into the house and the frequencies of the channels I am having the most issues with. All of them were exceptionally clean with strong signal. Besides tightening some fittings, there was nothing else they could do...they have already run new wires and checked all signals.

I spoke with TIVO and they are insistent that the XL4 is just more sensitive to signal errors then previous models or Cablevision cable boxes because it splits the signal 4 ways. I asked the Tivo rep if the bar is unrealistically high in terms of the signal that is required for the XL4 to work properly. I mean if I have another premier and 2 cable boxes that work flawlessly, and tivo is telling me that the signal is the problem, i think this is incorrect thinking on their part.

I mean how clear does this signal need to be, do I need to be plugged directly into the headend? I mean come on this is silly.
Im frustrated now and am considering just downgrading the the Premier XL with 1TB hardrive.

Joe.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniels1982 View Post
Cablevision came back to the house today and ran an hour's worth of tests on both the line coming into the house and the frequencies of the channels I am having the most issues with. All of them were exceptionally clean with strong signal. Besides tightening some fittings, there was nothing else they could do...they have already run new wires and checked all signals.

I spoke with TIVO and they are insistent that the XL4 is just more sensitive to signal errors then previous models or Cablevision cable boxes because it splits the signal 4 ways. I asked the Tivo rep if the bar is unrealistically high in terms of the signal that is required for the XL4 to work properly. I mean if I have another premier and 2 cable boxes that work flawlessly, and tivo is telling me that the signal is the problem, i think this is incorrect thinking on their part.

I mean how clear does this signal need to be, do I need to be plugged directly into the headend? I mean come on this is silly.
Im frustrated now and am considering just downgrading the the Premier XL with 1TB hardrive.

Joe.
Have they replaced the Tuning Adaptor
Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Have they replaced the Tuning Adaptor
CableVision doesn't use TAs. People are quick to try and blame TAs. I think the problems fall square on TiVo as far as these Elite/XL4 issues go. Anything other than optimal signal levels looks like can be an issue, even for signals that work fine with older TiVo units.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Some CableVision/Optimum areas do use Cisco TA's
http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answ...ning%20Adapter

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
CableVision doesn't use TAs. People are quick to try and blame TAs. I think the problems fall square on TiVo as far as these Elite/XL4 issues go. Anything other than optimal signal levels looks like can be an issue, even for signals that work fine with older TiVo units.
The majority of CV's footprint uses SDV and TA's
Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
brianfuchs

To the OP, I had the exact same problem as you and other on this thread. Purchased Elite and had terrible pixellation, skipping, and signal strength issues - even through the 3 XLs I purchased at the same time had none of these problems. I am using FiOS.

However, I found the solution to the Elite.

Get the original box, and return it to the place of purchase within your 30 day window.

I hate to sound so glib about it, but doing this will save you much frustration. There are several threads where people suggest all sorts of things - attenuators, boosters, endlessly swapping cable cards, trying different coax outlets, swapping coax cables, telling FiOS to change your ONT. Hell, TiVo even suggested a surge suppressor to one person... This is all crap - the bottom line is that Elite is not ready for prime time.

TiVo will be of no help to you on this one. They will aim you toward your provider and vice versa.

By keeping the unit, you are betting that there will be a SW patch someday that will address your problem. History tells us that this will be the most likely outcome, but how long will you have to wait? I didn't want to play those odds, so I swapped the Elite out for a 4th XL.

Life has been good since then. The same cable card and coax that resulted in low signal strength on the Elite is miraculously working perfectly on the XL.

Yes, you are missing out on the 4 tuners, which is a huge thing. The problem is that the tuning hardware in the Elite is different than the other Premieres. There very well may be a real HW issue that will never be fully addressed. You can always upgrade to an XL4 later on once they have the bugs worked out. I know that there are more people than not who have not had these problems with the Elite - which only adds to the frustration of those of us who won the "flaky TiVo" lottery.

Save yourself some grief and live without 4 tuners for now. Trust me.
TiVo 4. Premiere XL

Last edited by brianfuchs : 06-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

There must be some reason why some people have issues. Both my Elites on FiOS have been fine.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
brianfuchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Both my Elites on FiOS have been fine.
...and you went and jinxed yourself by saying that. Do you realize that while you were typing that, one of your Elites just rebooted?
TiVo 4. Premiere XL
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict