TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
ladylivewire

Netflix and black screen

I searched and haven't found this issue on here, so I was wondering if anyone else ran into this:

I have a series 4 XL Tivo and lately when watching Netflix through the Tivo, the screen flicks to black frequently during play. The audio keeps working, and the screen only stays black for a second, but it happens SEVERAL times, no matter what I'm watching. I have watched shows via Netflix on my laptop and iPad and the issue does not happen there, but it happens every time with the Tivo. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!
ladylivewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
rainwater

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=487218
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
dboff01

This issue has been discussed significantly in the thread referenced.

It is due to resolution/refresh rate changes and the corresponding HDMI re-handshake that occurs. The resolution change occurs if the network bandwidth is insufficient to maintain the current bitrate.

The only "fix" is to choose a single resolution such as 720P or 1080i. Unfortunately 1080p cannot be chosen as the sole resolution as the Tivo can only pass-through 1080p and not up-convert to it.

So the fixed resolution output workaround is not useful for those that want to display content in its native mode and/or those that want the improved picture quality of the 1080p.

For me, the resolution hopping makes the Tivo version of Netflix all but unusable. Fortunately, I have a Roku 2.
dboff01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Larry in TN

I have an antique (2002) HDTV which only has one HD resolution, 1080i, so I have my TiVo set to a Fixed 1080i output.

How noticeable is the quality difference in Native mode, compared to a fixed 1080i or 720p, with the more modern sets which support the multiple resolutions? Or is it the 1080p pass-through option that's the real benefit?
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote