Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
tripplesix
TiVo is ok.

Question Space Conflict When Trying to Record a Show

Hello all.
I am new here and new to TiVo (have had it for 2 weeks now). I have done quite a search on this site for the answer to my question about space conflicts. I have also done a Google search, so I know what the answer was (mostly from 2010 and back); I just don't know if this is still the case (with this new tivo premiere in 2012).

That being said:
I have an RCN Tivo Quad (as they call it); it is a Premiere with 4 tuners (that's all I know so far).

I watch a lot of recorded tv (prior dvr; now tivo). I have tons of shows set on Series Manager. I also set single shows/episodes/movies; and other random things.

Wednesday night (june 13) I tried to set some single episodes of a show. After the 2nd single episode record attempt I got the message of a Conflict and that because of my space some of the episodes on a Season Pass show (totally diff. show) may not record on June 25th. Mind you, my tivo space was only 22/23% full.

Google search told me that there is no way around this and my further interpretation was that even though the message will continue to annoyingly pop up, as long as I truly have space everything will record as scheduled.

Is this true?? Is there no way around the message?? Am I all good as long as, regardless of the forever message, I have enough actual space??

Any answers as soon as possible will be helpful so that I can call RCN back immediately and tell them not to bother sending out a tech, who is actually scheduled to come out this Sunday. Should he still come? or is it not necessary?

By the way, i did not know whether I should post this here or in the Premiere subforum.

Thanks!
tripplesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

A Tivo complaining about space issues when it's not actually full is almost always someone using KUID (Keep Until I Delete) in their season passes when they don't need to.

KUID allocates space for future recordings very aggressively, and there's no need to use KUID in a Season Pass scenario, folks are almost always doing this out of paranoia, not actual need.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
tripplesix
TiVo is ok.

Thanks for your reply.
I knew I forgot to mention that part (as I also saw that in the google searches), yes, i use "keep until i delete" at all times. thing is, sometimes i record serieses and don't watch it after the first couple episodes but i don't delete because i might still watch them. 11 or so episodes later, and the end of the season, i watch them all. so i most def want it to "keep until i delete." i have had things disappear because i have forgotten to put "keep until i delete" (on my previous dvr).

but that being said, it seems that space conflict message (as mentioned in original post) is still a current issue.

So what is the answer to my other questions:
Am I all good as long as, regardless of the forever message, I have enough actual space??
Does the tech still need to come out?? or is it not necessary??

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
unitron

Here's the deal.

You tell it to record something tomorrow night.

It comes back and tells you that if it does it won't be able to record something else a week or two from now.

Go ahead and tell it that's OK, and to record the tomorrow night show.

Then before that other show comes around, watch up and delete enough stuff to make room for it, or use TiVo Desktop or whatever to copy something to computer and delete it from the TiVo for the time being to make the room.

It doesn't need the room for the future show now, it just needs it when it's actually time to record it.

But keep an eye on your to-do list to make sure nothing gets cancelled and needs re-entering.

And keep an eye on scheduled deletion dates.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplesix View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I knew I forgot to mention that part (as I also saw that in the google searches), yes, i use "keep until i delete" at all times. thing is, sometimes i record serieses and don't watch it after the first couple episodes but i don't delete because i might still watch them. 11 or so episodes later, and the end of the season, i watch them all. so i most def want it to "keep until i delete." i have had things disappear because i have forgotten to put "keep until i delete" (on my previous dvr).
While there are other philosophies out there, the IMO overly paranoid KUID settings are never needed, I have items on my "it can be deleted" list for years, I think across 2 Tivos with 1.5TB and 2TB I have no more than 3 items on KUID and the others are never erased.

This isn't your other dvr
Old 06-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
tripplesix
TiVo is ok.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
While there are other philosophies out there, the IMO overly paranoid KUID settings are never needed, I have items on my "it can be deleted" list for years, I think across 2 Tivos with 1.5TB and 2TB I have no more than 3 items on KUID and the others are never erased.

lol... gotcha. Well, maybe eventually i can slowly break that habbit. Thanks. (I also have to remember that I have a "real" on demand now).

Thank you too unitron.

And with all that said, I will cancel the tech.

Peace.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post

I've got a few more items marked, but I largely use it to remember I got interupted only part way through some episode or movie.

I did lose at least one program, but it was my own fault. Not paying enough attention during the Olymics when I was recording 35 hours a day of coverage*. That'll run through your space quite quickly

*So I could fast forward through it for the parts I wanted to watch. Damn you 8 hours blocks of mixed coverage