TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
gandalf gray

Angry Thought TiVo was a great product & service ...

Hope it is ok to post this here ...

I have had TiVos since 2002 and loved the service and products ... well, until today. I bought an Elite (XL-4) 93 days ago and have had a couple of problems (disk glitch and audio issues I am still testing) and on advice of TiVo support, held off on purchasing the extended service (they thought sending it in under initial 90 warranty better than extended warranty).

I set a reminder to order the warranty no later than 90 days after purchase but missed it and when I called today (93 days) was told no exceptions. Bad policy, bad business. I have a faulty TiVo and no warranty! Can't share any love today! Partly my fault but still...

Color me displeased!
gandalf
gandalf gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
lrhorer

No, it's not partly your fault, it is entirely your fault. It was entirely your decision, and implicit in that decision was the need to get the TiVo back to the manufacturer before the warranty expired. You missed the deadline, and the consequences of that failure rest squarely at your feet. That doesn't make you a bad person, but it doesn't make you special, either.

It is in no way a bad policy on their part, nor is it bad business.

Why, exactly, do you think they should make an exception for you? No one expects you to feel pleased, but you should not feel entitled, either.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
gandalf gray

@Irhorer: Glad my world isn't as inflexible as yours seems to be.

I agree it is what it is but don't see it as an exception for me ... I would think it good business to extend the courtesy to anyone in similar circumstances - even if an additional fee was added on. But that's me. My TiVo experience and expectation has been high both in quality and service up to this point. It's adjusted now, though.

Last edited by gandalf gray : 06-15-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf gray View Post
... I would think it good business to extend the courtesy to anyone in similar circumstances - even if an additional fee was added on.
TiVo usually offers to exchange out of warranty boxes (within one year) for a nominal fee.
Did they not offer you this option?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
farmermac
Super user

Op, I'd advise calling back. While TiVo isn't perfect I've found their customer service to be very good. They will be getting more $ from you after all.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Hope it is ok to post this here ...

I have had TiVos since 2002 and loved the service and products ... well, until today. I bought an Elite (XL-4) 93 days ago and have had a couple of problems (disk glitch and audio issues I am still testing) and on advice of TiVo support, held off on purchasing the extended service (they thought sending it in under initial 90 warranty better than extended warranty).

I set a reminder to order the warranty no later than 90 days after purchase but missed it and when I called today (93 days) was told no exceptions. Bad policy, bad business. I have a faulty TiVo and no warranty! Can't share any love today! Partly my fault but still...

Color me displeased!
gandalf
Why didn't you just get the extended warranty right away? What was the reason for waiting? Shouldn't the initial 90 day warranty still have been in force even if you had purchased the extended warranty?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
@Irhorer: Glad my world isn't as inflexible as yours seems to be.

I agree it is what it is but don't see it as an exception for me ... I would think it good business to extend the courtesy to anyone in similar circumstances - even if an additional fee was added on. But that's me. My TiVo experience and expectation has been high both in quality and service up to this point. It's adjusted now, though.

Unbelievable.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
gandalf gray

@steve614 & farmermac: Good ideas, both. I will call again and see if I can send in the unit for replacement at a reasonable cost and verify there really is no option on the warranty, (I also sent an email to customer support).

@aaronwt: when I purchased the Elite and lifetime service, I simply didn't have the funds to add the extended warranty. When I called tech support re: the issues (two separate calls), I was ready to purchase the extended warranty but they advised against it (suggesting to send it in under the original 90 day warranty after some additional testing). Then, I missed the 90 day window - that's on me as irhorer makes clear. Also, given my stellar experience with TiVos (series 1 and series 3 - both still operational with no issues ... ever) getting the extended warranty at the outset wasn't on my mind.

FWIW, the reason customer service gave for the no exception policy (and he put me on hold to check with his supervisor) was that it was a system option that they had no ability to override. Seems a bit too inflexible - but again, that's me. If they had offered alternatives, like an additional fee for being late or at least offered exchange of the unit "for a nominal fee" (as steve614 suggests), that would have helped.

I agree there's a price to be paid for being stupid - and I'm willing to pay that price ... my conversation with customer support left me with no options and a faulty TiVo but I'll try again.

Last edited by gandalf gray : 06-16-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
jcthorne

I dont think you missed much on the exteneded warranty. The terms of tivo's extended warranty only allow one exchange and the warranty does not transfer to the new unit. IE its more of a discount prepaid exchange. The nominal charge for exchange during the first year is not that much different.

The reason Tivo told you to hold off on the ext warranty was that if you exchanged the box after buying the warranty, thats it, your warranty was used. you would not have been happy then either. The ext warranty as currently offered is not a great deal and no big loss in not getting it.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
farmermac
Super user

Yeah they are flexible on the warranty exchange cost of a replacement box, that I can tell you for sure. When my s3 was having problems they went from $150 to $79 in about 30 seconds. Just keep calling back until you are satisfied.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I dont think you missed much on the exteneded warranty. The terms of tivo's extended warranty only allow one exchange and the warranty does not transfer to the new unit. IE its more of a discount prepaid exchange. The nominal charge for exchange during the first year is not that much different.

The reason Tivo told you to hold off on the ext warranty was that if you exchanged the box after buying the warranty, thats it, your warranty was used. you would not have been happy then either. The ext warranty as currently offered is not a great deal and no big loss in not getting it.
It's cheaper than getting it from someplace like BestBUy(Although you can get a longer term from Bestbuy). And the BestBuy warranty is also gone if the unit is replaced.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
randyb359

If you called about the problem while it was still under warranty It should still be covered under the warranty.
randyb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyb359 View Post
If you called about the problem while it was still under warranty It should still be covered under the warranty.
I agree. If it was an issue TiVo was aware of and it fell within the warranty period, they should honor the warranty if the issue is not resolved, otherwise the tactic would be to delay customers as long as possible to avoid warranty claims.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Adam81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
I agree. If it was an issue TiVo was aware of and it fell within the warranty period, they should honor the warranty if the issue is not resolved, otherwise the tactic would be to delay customers as long as possible to avoid warranty claims.
Sometimes we make our own problem through our forgetfulness and procrastination and ended where you are at now..
Adam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
takeshi

Quote:
I agree it is what it is but don't see it as an exception for me ...
No one ever does. That's the problem with exceptions.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #17
cruiserandmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No, it's not partly your fault, it is entirely your fault.

It is in no way a bad policy on their part, nor is it bad business.

Why, exactly, do you think they should make an exception for you? No one expects you to feel pleased, but you should not feel entitled, either.
In my experience TiVo has based their business on bending rules to provide exceptional customer service for good customers. For example I bought a Series 2 with paid lifetime subscription as a gift for my dad in 2003. It flat out died in 2008 (likely related to a lighting strike which he admitted to a CSR). He explained that it was originally a gift and that he was not in a position to spend anything to replace the device. The company offered to send him a refurbished replacement (same model) with PLS for just the cost of shipping. He continues to make use of the replacement TiVo happily to this day. Years out of warranty- absolutely amazing.

That is the most dramatic example I have witnessed of their rule bending customer service. But I have also witnessed a few other minor examples. So if the situation described by the OP had happened in our household, I would have a fair expectation that TiVo would help me to resolve my problem in *some* way other than effectively telling me to take a hike.

Now maybe the OP is not a good customer, or maybe times are tough for TiVo now and they are no longer able to provide their famously extraordinary customer service. I but I can't fault the OP for his expectation.
cruiserandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
farmermac
Super user

we havent heard back from OP, i'd like to know how this story ends. Im sure another call or 2 to TiVo would clear this up with another CSR.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
shwru980r

You could try replacing the hard drive to see if that resolves the issue. You could buy a 2tb tivo formatted drive from ebay for $189. You have 30 days to return the drive if it doesn't work.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote