TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #1621
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by b13 View Post
Ok, so where do I go from here? Do I need to recopy the image?

Can i repair the current drive in my tivo with a few linux commands to get that partion showing in the tivo GUI?

I have a Series 4 TIVO aka Tivo Premiere
It sounds like you know just enough to be dangerous.

Or else you're some sort of savant.

What software and procedures exactly did you use to copy the 320 to the 1TB and expand?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #1622
b13

*lol*
Not quite sure if that's a compliment or insult :P
I am fairly tech savy systems security manager so yeah I am "fairly dangerous at time" but only when I am required to be.

Oh man...whatever procedure was laying around on the web 3-4 years ago. I did the copy to a 1Tb drive years ago. It's worked fine! Until I was getting pixelation/macro blocking/rebooting.

So last night I took the drive that was in my tivo and i did the copy with JMFS to my new 2TB drive. As I have stated everything works just fine now. It's just that "one step" the space is not being utilized fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It sounds like you know just enough to be dangerous.

Or else you're some sort of savant.

What software and procedures exactly did you use to copy the 320 to the 1TB and expand?

b13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #1623
unitron

Quote:
*lol*
Not quite sure if that's a compliment or insult :P
I am fairly tech savy systems security manager so yeah I am "fairly dangerous at time" but only when I am required to be.

Oh man...whatever procedure was laying around on the web 3-4 years ago. I did the copy to a 1Tb drive years ago. It's worked fine! Until I was getting pixelation/macro blocking/rebooting.

So last night I took the drive that was in my tivo and i did the copy with JMFS to my new 2TB drive. As I have stated everything works just fine now. It's just that "one step" the space is not being utilized fully.
I am unaware of any way to copy a Premiere ot other S4 drive and expand it, except for jmfs.

That's what made it such a big deal.

Perhaps you used an earlier version of jmfs.

Anyway, I know of no other way (that doesn't invove rewriting partition headers with a hex editor) of dealing with your partition 16 problem than going back to the original 320GB drive and using jmfs to copy that straight to the 2TB and then expand.

Unfortunately, that'll cost you all of your recorded shows, cable card pairings, software updates, season passes, etc.

You can boot a PC (non-GigaByte brand motherboard) with the MFS Live cd v1.4 and use

pdisk -l

(that's a lowercase L, for list)

to look at the partition table on that 1TB, and I think you can redirect the output to a text file so that later you can open it with Windows and copy/paste it here, but do not use anything else on that cd to do anything to or try to look at in anyway an S4 drive, because nothing else has been confirmed to be safe.

(GigaByte brand boards have a nasty habit of putting a Host Protected Area on the end of drives, and that'll fubar a TiVo drive in a heartbeat.)

Old 06-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #1624
b13

s***Well luckily I have a "stock" 320 TIVO Image Drive. and a spare tivo. Maybe I'll just do that. I am sure over time I can get my shows back.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #1625
lpwcomp

Quote:
Oh man...whatever procedure was laying around on the web 3-4 years ago. I did the copy to a 1Tb drive years ago. It's worked fine! Until I was getting pixelation/macro blocking/rebooting. It's just that "one step" the space is not being utilized fully.
There's no way you upgraded a Premiere drive 3+ years ago. The Premiere didn't come out until 2010.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #1626
unitron

Quote:
s***Well luckily I have a "stock" 320 TIVO Image Drive. and a spare tivo. Maybe I'll just do that. I am sure over time I can get my shows back.
How would the spare TiVo come into this?

As a place to transfer shows to?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #1627
b13

Yeah possibly.

Quote:
How would the spare TiVo come into this?

As a place to transfer shows to?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #1628
lroscoe19

Hi
Am trying to upgrade my Premiere to a 2TB drive. Using a JMFS Live DVD, I'm getting a "loading/boot/vmilinuz"...then a "loading/boot/initrd.gz" message...before the computer reboots. This happens over & over again. Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks.
lroscoe19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #1629
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I take it that you have changed your BIOS settings to boot from the CD drive?

How do you have the hard drives connected?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #1630
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroscoe19 View Post
Hi
Am trying to upgrade my Premiere to a 2TB drive. Using a JMFS Live DVD, I'm getting a "loading/boot/vmilinuz"...then a "loading/boot/initrd.gz" message...before the computer reboots. This happens over & over again. Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks.
jmfs fits on a CD-R just fine, no need to waste a blank DVD on it.

Disconnect all drives except the optical one from which you're attempting to boot and see if gets far enough to be able to tell you it can't find any hard drives.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #1631
lroscoe19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I take it that you have changed your BIOS settings to boot from the CD drive?

How do you have the hard drives connected?
I have...I can boot into JMFS just fine...it just keeps rebooting after about 5 seconds.

I have each drive connected to the motherboard with different SATA cables.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #1632
lroscoe19

Quote:
jmfs fits on a CD-R just fine, no need to waste a blank DVD on it.

Disconnect all drives except the optical one from which you're attempting to boot and see if gets far enough to be able to tell you it can't find any hard drives.
I didn't have spare CD-Rs laying around...so I had to use a DVD.

I disconnected all the drives & the same thing happens...continually reboots.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #1633
HomeUser

Quote:
Hi
1.(Most likely) The Boot CD/DVD is corrupt verify the JMFS Live image then try re-burnning it at a lower speed
2. You have unstable RAM download and run Memtest86 memory diagnostics (The Free version is good)
Old 06-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #1634
lroscoe19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
1.(Most likely) The Boot CD/DVD is corrupt verify the JMFS Live image then try re-burnning it at a lower speed
2. You have unstable RAM download and run (The Free version is good)
1. Burned to another DVD (using a different computer)...same result. Tried it with a bootable USB drive...same result.
2. Memory checked out fine using Memtest.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #1635
lroscoe19

JMFS seems to work fine when I boot up in my laptop...for some reason, my desktop can't boot into it.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #1636
L David Matheny

Quote:
1. Burned to another DVD (using a different computer)...same result. Tried it with a bootable USB drive...same result.
2. Memory checked out fine using Memtest.
I've heard of situations where you must use a CD and not a DVD. I can't remember whether that was only when burning firmware to be read by a DVD player (or whatever), or whether it could also apply to an .ISO image that is to be booted by a computer. If you can get your hands on a CD-R, try that.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #1637
Wiked

Hi,

Firstly I have read most of the pages in this thread so if this has been covered before and I missed it then I apologise in advance.

I purchased a WD20EURS to replace my 1TB drive in one of our TiVo's.

I burned the ISO and ran JMFS. Copied the old drive to new drive in around 5 hours.
I then expanded the drive and it showed 1.82TB available.

I put it back into the TiVo and when it booted and came up with a grey screen and said that the TiVo couldn't detect the external drive that was associated with the TiVo and to dis-associate the external drive I was to press CLEAR.

I do not have an external HDD and have never had one.

I pressed clear and it rebooted. Now it shows the same 200 hrs in system information. So I assume that it's back to seeing at as the original 1TB drive. All of my recordings are 100% still there.

I don't want to waste 5 hrs again with the whole copy process without asking you guys if you know what happened?

I also ran wdidle3.exe and it said it wasn't activated so no need to to worry about that part.

I have 2 other TiVo's to upgrade in the house so I would love to know what went wrong.

BTW I'm in Australia as we have the S2 (HD) version as far as I am aware.

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Wiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #1638
Guy Kuo

If the TiVo falsely detected an external drive association, then I suspect the original drive somehow has a small extra "apple free partition"

JMFS dutifully added its new media partition after that "apple free partition" yielding something confusing to the TiVo.

Upon boot, TiVo "fixed" the problem by removing the extra partitions.

Fixing that situation (if that is indeed what is happening) is beyond me.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #1639
Wiked

Ok well I just upgraded another ouf our TiVo's (320GB installed) with a new WD20EURS as it didn't take as long to copy the data and it has worked perfectly.
Now has 400 HD recording hours showing.

I guess I will re-try the first TiVo again and the remaining one on the weekend when I get the time to do it and see what happens. Hopefully it's just a once off but I will report back to post what happens.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #1640
~kyle

I didn't think you could expand a drive that's alreay been expanded. In other words you could go from 320GB>1TB or 320GB>2TB, etc. but you couldn't go from 320GB>1TB>2TB which is essentially what your trying to do, correct? I think you'd need to expand the original drive to 2TB.

Someone chime in if I'm wrong.
~kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #1641
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiked View Post
Ok well I just upgraded another ouf our TiVo's (320GB installed) with a new WD20EURS as it didn't take as long to copy the data and it has worked perfectly.

I guess I will re-try the first TiVo again and the remaining one on the weekend when I get the time to do it and see what happens. Hopefully it's just a once off but I will report back to post what happens.
You might look at this. You being in Australia and all so that everything is upside down, it may or may not be relevant but it is worth a shot.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #1642
unitron

Quote:

What's the model number of the one that had the 320 and what was the model number of the one you tried before that had the 1TB?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #1643
Wiked

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You might look at this. You being in Australia and all so that everything is upside down, it may or may not be relevant but it is worth a shot.
Thanks for the link. Looks like that could indeed be the problem. I will transfer my recordings to one of the other TiVo's and them use the original 320GB HDD to copy and expand on the new drive.

Quote:
What's the model number of the one that had the 320 and what was the model number of the one you tried before that had the 1TB?
All of the TiVo's are the same. According to system info they are S3's. All came originally with a 320GB HDD.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #1644
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Looks like that could indeed be the problem. I will transfer my recordings to one of the other TiVo's and them use the original 320GB HDD to copy and expand on the new drive.

All of the TiVo's are the same. According to system info they are S3's. All came originally with a 320GB HDD.
There's a number on the sticker on the back. It starts with TCD.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #1645
lpwcomp

Quote:
There's a number on the sticker on the back. It starts with TCD.
Based on the location and drive size I would assume they are model TCD663320.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1646
unitron

Quote:
Hi,

Firstly I have read most of the pages in this thread so if this has been covered before and I missed it then I apologise in advance.

I purchased a WD20EURS to replace my 1TB drive in one of our TiVo's.

I burned the ISO and ran JMFS. Copied the old drive to new drive in around 5 hours.
I then expanded the drive and it showed 1.82TB available.

I put it back into the TiVo and when it booted and came up with a grey screen and said that the TiVo couldn't detect the external drive that was associated with the TiVo and to dis-associate the external drive I was to press CLEAR.

I do not have an external HDD and have never had one.

I pressed clear and it rebooted. Now it shows the same 200 hrs in system information. So I assume that it's back to seeing at as the original 1TB drive. All of my recordings are 100% still there.

I don't want to waste 5 hrs again with the whole copy process without asking you guys if you know what happened?

I also ran wdidle3.exe and it said it wasn't activated so no need to to worry about that part.

I have 2 other TiVo's to upgrade in the house so I would love to know what went wrong.

BTW I'm in Australia as we have the S2 (HD) version as far as I am aware.

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
If you have a PC with WinMFS on it, hook up the 1TB, then click on mfsinfo for that drive and copy and paste the partition map info part here.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #1647
Wiked

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Based on the location and drive size I would assume they are model TCD663320.
Yes you are correct. All 3 are this model.

Quote:
If you have a PC with WinMFS on it, hook up the 1TB, then click on mfsinfo for that drive and copy and paste the partition map info part here.
Quote:
Partition Maps
#: type name length base ( size )
1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63@1 ( 31.5K)
2 Image Bootstrap 1 1@309550766 ( 512.0 )
3 Image Kernel 1 8192@309550767 ( 4.0M)
4 Ext2 Root 1 524288@309558959 ( 256.0M)
5 Image Bootstrap 2 1@310083247 ( 512.0 )
6 Image Kernel 2 8192@310083248 ( 4.0M)
7 Ext2 Root 2 524288@310091440 ( 256.0M)
8 Swap Linux swap 262144@310615728 ( 128.0M)
9 Ext2 /var 524288@310877872 ( 256.0M)
10 MFS MFS application region 589824@311402160 ( 288.0M)
11 MFS MFS media region 137630712@171920054 ( 65.6G)
12 MFS MFS application region 2 589824@311991984 ( 288.0M)
13 MFS MFS media region 2 171919990@64 ( 82.0G)
14 MFS MFS App by Winmfs 2048@312581808 ( 1.0M)
15 MFS MFS Media by Winmfs 1640939520@312583856 ( 782.5G)
16 Apple_Free Extra 1791@1953523376( 895.5K)
17 MFS MFS media region 3 1953504001@1953525167( 931.5G)

Total SA SD Hours: 1040 Total DTV SD Hours: 908 12 % Free
Software: 11.3b5-01-2-663 Tivo Model: TCD663320

Last edited by Wiked : 06-22-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #1648
Wiked

Based on the above partition info I will copy off the original 320gb hdd and it should be ok and not add the extra partition.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #1649
unitron

Quote:
Based on the above partition info I will copy off the original 320gb hdd and it should be ok and not add the extra partition.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Since you're going to transfer off the shows from the 1TB, you don't need to keep it unmolested, so use it as a middleman if what you have is the Australian version of the S3 HD.

Use WinMFS to copy the 320 to the 1TB, put 1000 in the box where you specify the swap partition size (that's only about 15 minutes of best quality analog video, cheap insurance), and then when it finishes and asks if you want to expand to use the rest of the 1TB, say yes.

When that's done, click on mfsinfo, check out the partition map, make sure you have no more than 15 partitions and that none of them are "Apple Free" partitions. (if there's a little space left at the end of the drive, the way the MFS Live cd tends to do, it'll make that an Apple Free partition, and we want to avoid that)

If you've got 15 (3 MFS sets, plus partitons 1-9), and nothing else, you're good to go.

Put it in the TiVo, make sure it boots, if the original 320 wasn't already set up the way you needed, do it now, then when that's all over, take it back out, hook it and the 2TB to a PC, boot with the jmfs cd v1.04, and let it copy the 1 to the 2 and expand the way it does by adding a single MFS Media partition, which will be the 16th and last allowable on a single drive partition.

That's the way I finally did it on my S3 HD, and it's been working fine since.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #1650
Guy Kuo

Yes, do as Unitron instructs.

320GB ---> intermediate 1TB drive via winMFS with swap carefully adjusted to avoid creating an extraneous AppleFree partition. Let winMFS expand to fill the 1TB drive.

You should end up with a 1TB that uses its entire capacity but does not have an AppleFree partition. If you do see an AppleFree partition on the 1TB, redo the 320GB ---> 1TB via winMFS but adjust the swap size to "use up" what would become the extraneous AppleFree partition.

Take the 1TB drive and copy / expand via JMFS to the 2 TB drive.

Unitron's 2 step process ensures that you keep all the created partitions below the 1TB limit in the TiVo disk drivers. This differs from the process in the first post of this thread which goes from 320 straight to 2GB. That creates a whopping 1.7 TB partition that may initially appear to work, but likely will become unstable once the system writes beyond 1TB in the big partition. Crashes, reboots, or possibly just overwriting of older shows despite them appearing to remain in My Shows listing.

Unitron's 2 step method might save a lot of grief. I think it is worth doing it his way unless you somehow have specific knowledge that TiVo has rewritten its disk drivers to properly address partitions greater than 1TB. Nobody on the web seems to be reporting such an updated was made by TiVo.