TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
atomarchio

Sold S3 but buyer has not xfr to their account?

I sold my S3 on Ebay about a month ago. The buyer rec'd and provided positive feedback.

Just checked my account and noticed the box is still on there. Should I call Tivo and tell them I no longer have this box?

Should I be concerned that new buyer has not activated this box on their account yet?
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I personally wouldn't worry about it. If they have the S3 and are happily using it then I'd say you've fulfilled your end of the bargain.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
atomarchio

I understand that.

I am just concerned about the S3 being linked to my account while someone else uses the product.

Does that put me in a comprised siutation in any way? Could they purchase items from the S3 and bill me somehow? Things like that...
Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Good point, didn't think of that. FWIW, my parents ordered a new ir blaster for their TiVo that is on my account a year or two ago and I did get a shipping confirmation email but the charge was put on their credit card.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

You could create a new account with a new dummy email and move the unit over yourself. I've had an old S2 on my account for years now that I sold. But I worry about it once in a while.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
I understand that.

I am just concerned about the S3 being linked to my account while someone else uses the product.

Does that put me in a comprised siutation in any way? Could they purchase items from the S3 and bill me somehow? Things like that...
Tivo will not remove a box from your account until the new owner requests that it be transferred to their account. No harm, no foul normally but if you had the box connected to use things like Amazon VOD or Netflix then make sure you go into those accounts and remove the tie in to the sold Tivo. Hopefully you also did a Clear and Delete Everything on the Tivo before you shipped it.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If the new owner has not transferred the Tivo to their own account, you can encourage them to do so by going to the online scheduling and set up that Tivo to record a bunch of religious programs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
atomarchio

No, I did not do the clear and delete. How do I cancel the amazon before the buyer figures this out?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Maybe you could manage their season passes for them and add a few shows to their ToDo list that you just love.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
greggt007

the s3 i bought off ebay still had the guy's credit card on the account and it prob would have charged him if i didnt change it. it's also funny to see the previous owner's history, like paying 12.95/mo for almost 8 years. it also has his pandora info on there. so i've been listening to some of his good stations.
greggt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
atomarchio

The buyer is only using the S3 with an antenna so I am probably safe. I did go ahead and record several season passes though. Hopefully this works!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
daveak
Series 3 Novice

He will be on the forum soon complaining that his TiVo is mysteriously recording all these shows.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

That would be hilarious!

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
No, I did not do the clear and delete. How do I cancel the amazon before the buyer figures this out?

At the bottom of that page it should show your registered devices. You can click to unregister them.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
WO312

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but personally I think scheduling recordings on his machine is rather juvenile. And not guaranteed to get the result you are looking for. He very well won't make the connection.

Do two things. Unregister your apps, and then contact him. You can send a message through ebay if you don't have his email address.

And next time do a clear and delete first. Not necessarily you, but anyone reading this thread about to sell their machine.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Sold Tivo

If the Tivo doesn't have lifetime on it it most likely will not be removed from your account page. This doesn't mean the person can use your old subscription, Tivo just doesn't remove the numbers from your account. i was on with Tivo yesterday because I sold a couple of HDs' with lifetime. I was told they generally only remove lifetime enabled units. Not a problem, just makes your account page busy.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #17
atomarchio

The TIVO I sold does have lifetime. It's been a month and buyer has not switched yet.

Probably not a big deal since he's only using with Antenna. Just thought I would check here to find out if I should have any concerns.

I turned off video downloads and sharing. I also removed this unit from Amazon account so I am feeling like I am covered.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
chiguy50

Quote:
The TIVO I sold does have lifetime. It's been a month and buyer has not switched yet.

Probably not a big deal since he's only using with Antenna. Just thought I would check here to find out if I should have any concerns.

I turned off video downloads and sharing. I also removed this unit from Amazon account so I am feeling like I am covered.
When you say that the DVR is still "on your account" do you mean to say that it's still active?

Check the number of units listed under "Active TiVo DVRs on this account:" on the My TiVo home page and compare this number to listing on your "My Account" page. Can you select the sold DVR on the pull-down list under "Selected DVR"?

If you can't select the sold unit and the number of active DVRs is less than the number shown on your "My Account" page, then the service was successfully transferred from your account.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
atomarchio

The sold DVR is still listed under both.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
T

Probably not a big deal since he's only using with Antenna.
Why do you think that makes any difference?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
atomarchio

Because he can't buy movies from Amazon and charge to my account if he's only using the Antenna, right?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
teasip

Quote:
Because he can't buy movies from Amazon and charge to my account if he's only using the Antenna, right?
Not correct. He can purchase VOD as long as he is connected to the TiVo service, assuming that he knows the password to authorize the transaction with the remote, or can figure it out.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
atomarchio

I unregistered the device and changed my pin. Am I safe now?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
teasip

As long as you changed your VOD PIN then I can't see how they can pass along additional charges to yourself.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
rambler

Like OP I sold a lifetime unit (Premiere) which the buyer definitely has on his account, but it still shows on mine too. I called Tivo once to complain and they promised to resolve it - but months later it stills shows up on mine. All along Tivo said "it's not on your account no matter what our website tells you".....................
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
Like OP I sold a lifetime unit (Premiere) which the buyer definitely has on his account, but it still shows on mine too. I called Tivo once to complain and they promised to resolve it - but months later it stills shows up on mine. All along Tivo said "it's not on your account no matter what our website tells you".....................
That's fine I guess. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.