TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #121
waynomo
My One Time

I think part of the Megan/Don relationship has to do with the growth of women in the late '60s. Don is learning to cope with a woman who doesn't aspire to be June Cleaver. She is being more assertive and wants her own fulfilling career. Don has issues with all of this, but when Megan holds her ground, Don eventually sees the light.

Yes, Don has grown as a person, but some times backsliding is part of that process. As much as I want Don to remain faithful to Megan, I suspect that will not be the case. I mean he still is Don Draper and they still need to make an interesting show.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #122
Bryanmc
I disgust JediCowboy

I find it curious that so many people feel that Don has to be a womanizing cad for the show to be "interesting". With Don's past, I'm finding him being faithful incredibly interesting.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #123
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I don't think anyone has mentioned the conversation between Megan and her mom where we found out Megan can't have kids. Will that ever become an issue between them? The way it was revealed you have to expect it will, but I'd be surprised if Don wants more kids.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #124
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
I find it curious that so many people feel that Don has to be a womanizing cad for the show to be "interesting". With Don's past, I'm finding him being faithful incredibly interesting.
I don't think him being unfaithful would be interesting, because he has already done it. I hope the show doesn't rehash the old habits. He can still be faithful to Megan and yet have controversy and not be boring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #125
Bryanmc
I disgust JediCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned the conversation between Megan and her mom where we found out Megan can't have kids. Will that ever become an issue between them? The way it was revealed you have to expect it will, but I'd be surprised if Don wants more kids.
Didn't Don make a comment about wanting more kids after the dinner party at Pete's? I'll have to go back and watch that scene in the car.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #126
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc

Didn't Don make a comment about wanting more kids after the dinner party at Pete's? I'll have to go back and watch that scene in the car.
I think he did say something about kids in that scene, and her response was, "That's impossible." But it wasn't clear to me that he actually wanted kids. It seemed to just be a playful way of asking for sex.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #127
zalusky

There are only two seasons left!

There are plenty of interesting stories for Don without replaying boozing and cheating.
For example his whole identity issue could become public and he might have to go to jail. He could get lung cancer! His partners could kick him to the curb! He could simply leave the advertising world and change identities again!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #128
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Since we discussing what might happen in the future, lets Talk about Dow Chemical for a minute.

Clearly when they were in the meeting Ray Wise had no interest whatsoever in considering the agency, but it seemed like the "henchmen" in the room were liking what Don had to say. Does anyone think that they have a chance at landing Dow in the future? If nothing else it would setup some nice conflict between Cosgrove and Campbell.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #129
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

I suspect that there's going to be a need for them to pursue Dow or another large client in the new season.

Right now they've landed Jaguar. In 1967. That's not a great time for that, since Jaguar will merge with Leyland in 1968, and I suspect SCDP will get nudged out in the reshuffle.

Similarly, this who "commission vs. fees" issue which nobody but Lane showed interest in (or understanding thereof)? That was a large factor in the end of the "Mad Men" era, and I suspect the company's revenues will get challenged.

Between those reasons, and the drama they've set up between Pete and Ken, I expect that they'll pursue Dow. And that Ken will be a more significant person in the plots.

But it's all guesses....
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #130
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc
As we are debating this, Don is having a threesome with the two young ladies from the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4
I don't think him being unfaithful would be interesting, because he has already done it. I hope the show doesn't rehash the old habits. He can still be faithful to Megan and yet have controversy and not be boring.
Don was faithful for a whole season. Him continuing to be faithful and continuing with Megan would be been there, done that.

I'm not saying we need a repeat of season one. I'm saying we don't need a repeat of season five.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky
There are plenty of interesting stories for Don without replaying boozing and cheating.
For example his whole identity issue could become public and he might have to go to jail. He could get lung cancer! His partners could kick him to the curb! He could simply leave the advertising world and change identities again!
Don doesnt have to be faithful or married to Megan for those other things to happen.

Given the way the commercial scene was shot, with him walking away (and ending up in the bar getting an indecent proposal) I wouldn't be surprised if the marriage is over at the start of next season - or soon thereafter.

I agree Don needs some new challenges. He won't get them with Megan. For all of the promise this relationship had at the beginning, by the end of the season, Megan was nothing more than Betty 2.0. Don needed to move on.

Plus, Megan as a character is no longer interesting and I think she has run her course. She's become the 2nd most important person on the show in terms of screen time, and she isn't the 2nd most important (or interesting, to put it another way) person on the show. Not even close.

Also, I've always thought Don and Joan would end up together. If that's going to happen, it has to start sometime.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #131
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Are we sure it's "can't"? I'm not going to rewatch to check, but I thought her mom was berating Megan because she *wouldn't* give him more kids.

If it is "can't" have we speculated as to why? Botched abortion?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #132
tiams

Did anyone notice whether Don was wearing his wedding ring in the bar?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #133
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Are we sure it's "can't"? I'm not going to rewatch to check, but I thought her mom was berating Megan because she *wouldn't* give him more kids.

Yeah, I don't remember it being "not able" to have kids, I thought her mom was just telling her she should give Don a family. I do remember Megan saying "that's impossible" when Don propositioned her in the car about making a baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #134
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Yeah, I don't remember it being "not able" to have kids, I thought her mom was just telling her she should give Don a family. I do remember Megan saying "that's impossible" when Don propositioned her in the car about making a baby.
Re the Megan and mom discussion, I thought it was along the lines of "you won't give him children" or "you need to give him children." I don't remember it being that she "can't."
Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #135
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
Re the Megan and mom discussion, I thought it was along the lines of "you won't give him children" or "you need to give him children." I don't remember it being that she "can't."
Same here.

Also to interject on the Don conversation. I say he's back to his old ways because as has been said over and over, Don only likes the beginning of things. Megan was the perfect wife. She was an ad ace; his equal. The minute she stopped being all that was the minute the countdown to his cheating began, IMO. As my mother has told me my entire life and it holds true, a leopard cannot change its spots.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #136
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Same here.

Also to interject on the Don conversation. I say he's back to his old ways because as has been said over and over, Don only likes the beginning of things. Megan was the perfect wife. She was an ad ace; his equal. The minute she stopped being all that was the minute the countdown to his cheating began, IMO. As my mother has told me my entire life and it holds true, a leopard cannot change its spots.
Agree with everything you said and add what my mother told me "once a cheater always a cheater"
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #137
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Agree with everything you said and add what my mother told me "once a cheater always a cheater"
I learned that by watching Friends.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #138
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
I learned that by watching Friends.
They were on a break!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #139
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:

I watched the scene again, and the subtitle used the word "won't".
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote