TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
shipspeed

Comcast Cable Card Error Screen: "In order to start cable service..."

"In order to start cable service for this device, please contact your cable provider."

Anybody know what the cause of this error screen? I see it maybe once every 2-3 days. If I hit "clear" on the remote, it goes away; however, it's annoying that it's happening at all.

I have Comcast in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm using a Premier box with multi-stream cable card.

shipspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
HomeUser

Your card is not setup correctly. Call Comcast and have the Cable Card re-paired.

More info at TiVo.com CableCARDs: Troubleshooting

Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
fleabag

Getting the same error

Had it since day one (6+ months). Called Tivo support and after they looked at the signal levels displayed on my device Tivo support told me my signal was too strong. Really? They said to connect a splitter and leave one end unterminated. Well I did that anyway and it didn't fix anything. This error message does not show up on a recording. Hitting clear will clear the message, but the error will eventually return either the same day or maybe in a couple of days. Typically it returns when a potential super bowl game winning pass is in the air. Guess I will contact Comcast.

fleabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabag View Post
Had it since day one (6+ months). Called Tivo support and after they looked at the signal levels displayed on my device Tivo support told me my signal was too strong. Really? They said to connect a splitter and leave one end unterminated. Well I did that anyway and it didn't fix anything. This error message does not show up on a recording. Hitting clear will clear the message, but the error will eventually return either the same day or maybe in a couple of days. Typically it returns when a potential super bowl game winning pass is in the air. Guess I will contact Comcast.
Instead of leaving the second output port on the splitter unterminated, you should put a 75 ohm terminator on it.

Little silver screw on things, similar looking to the plugs on the end of cable TV co-ax. Radio Shack, Lowes, Home Depot.

Using a splitter in that circumstance is just a quick and dirty way to introduce some attenuation in the line, since they're more readily available, like maybe even at a drugstore available, than actual attenuators.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Instead of leaving the second output port on the splitter unterminated, you should put a 75 ohm terminator on it. Little silver screw on things, similar looking to the plugs on the end of cable TV co-ax. Radio Shack, Lowes, Home Depot. Using a splitter in that circumstance is just a quick and dirty way to introduce some attenuation in the line, since they're more readily available, like maybe even at a drugstore available, than actual attenuators.
Or just run another cable from the splitter to the RF coax jack on your tv, at least as a test before you trek over to one of those stores.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
Tinker15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Or just run another cable from the splitter to the RF coax jack on your tv, at least as a test before you trek over to one of those stores.
If the repair does not work go to your cable provider and get a couple of cable cards. For Comcast customers don't call the number on that screen.... Call 1-855-484-1453 mountain time. They are trained how to use Tivos and and correctly pair cable cards.

Last edited by Tinker15; 04-05-2015 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Sp
Tinker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
Tinker15

Val

If you are not getting your premium channels than have the person check the Val numbers. I had a check mark by mine and so when they found that and did what they did on their end it was fixed fast after hours on thehone! then I retuned the cable equipment and then it changed the codes and then again I kept getting that screen and no vod ! I spent hours and hours on the phone with the cable co until I called TiVo when they transferred me to the Comcast TiVo dept! They got the right code and did all their stuff but they said they were afraid with all that reparing that the cc was damaged and to go to the cable co and get a couple of cards and call back so I did just that called them and I it was up and running with vod premium channels within 2 min! So I wrote that number down and will never call the reg number again!
1-855-484-1453 USA

Tinker15 is offline   Reply With Quote