Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
binco
Back at last

Trouble Getting Delete Confirmation Dialog

Hi, all!
I'm a recently-returned TiVo user, having finally escaped from DirecTV. My new setup is a single Premiere XL with Comcast service. I switched to SD menus, mainly because I don't like live-tv-PiP, the HD menu clutter and the ads.

In my old Series 2 days, I got in the following habit. After watching a recording, I hit fast forward 2 or 3 times to zoom past credits/commercials to the actual end of the recording. When it hits the end, the video freezes and I get the delete confirmation dialog. I press arrow-up, select to delete the recording, and it returns me to the Now Playing list.

On my Premiere XL, I get the following behavior: FF 2 or 3 times, recording hits the end, the video freezes ... but I don't get the delete confirmation dialog. It sits at the video freeze and does nothing. I can go back into the list of recordings and delete the recording there, but, well, that's not a work-around I like.

I've found that I can get the desired delete confirmation dialog if I do the following: FF 2 or 3 times and hover over the fast-reverse button. When the recording hits the end and freezes, hit fast-reverse to 'slow to single FF'. I have to do that immediately after the video freezes, before the TiVo recognizes the end and switches from FF to pause. If I do that, the recording actually advances through another second or two of video, freezes again, and (tada!) gives me the delete confirmation dialog.

I've searched the board for this problem, but got only false-positives. I may not be using the right search terms. Is this a common problem? Is there a fix, or a better workaround than what I describe? Might this be related to my use of SD menus on top of HD recordings?

TIA!
binco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Krellion

As long as you're within five minutes of the end of a recording, pressing left on the directional pad will bring up the dialog. If you're more than five minutes from the end and with the Premiere's default 30 second skip setting, press and hold the Skip to End button so it jumps to about 30 seconds from the end of the recording, then press left to get the dialog.

To work around this, you can press the pause button before pressing left if you don't want the dialog displayed, so you can finish watching the recording later (otherwise your pause point isn't saved like it normally is when you press left to return to the Now Playing list or recording's page).
)
TiVo HD XL (S3, Lifetime) @ 1TB - CableCARD/TA
TiVo Premiere XL4/Elite (S4, Lifetime) @ 2TB - CableCARD/TA
Krellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
binco
Back at last

Aces! Thanks.
binco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellion View Post
As long as you're within five minutes of the end of a recording, pressing left on the directional pad will bring up the dialog. If you're more than five minutes from the end and with the Premiere's default 30 second skip setting, press and hold the Skip to End button so it jumps to about 30 seconds from the end of the recording, then press left to get the dialog.

To work around this, you can press the pause button before pressing left if you don't want the dialog displayed, so you can finish watching the recording later (otherwise your pause point isn't saved like it normally is when you press left to return to the Now Playing list or recording's page).
Also if you get that delete screen accidently and didn't want it you can just hit rewind to get out without totally losing your place.

( didn't know that until someone mentioned it here recently; I'd never thought to try)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Or skip back (8 second rewind).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellion View Post

Ah. I was wondering why sometimes I would be watching a recording and then come out of it and when I go back to it later it acts like it is the first time I am watching it. Good to know.