TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
CynPiz

Converting Tivo Recordings to Editable Format?

Hello All - I would like to edit a Tivo recording that I transferred to my PC with TiVo Desktop. Is there any way to convert it to an editable format and then upload? Any help would be appreciated...

Using TiVo Premiere Elite - Windows Vista PC
CynPiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Download VideoReDo, I think they still offer a free trial.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
leiff

I have plus version of .videoRedo Paid $20 for it I think. Has auto-remove commercial feature but runs kind of slow on my rig.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
CynPiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I have plus version of .videoRedo Paid $20 for it I think. Has auto-remove commercial feature but runs kind of slow on my rig.
Do you think VideoReDo is better than Roxio? I had so many giltches w/ Roxio that I uninstalled it a few years back. I'm afraid of it...
CynPiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

VideoReDo is one of THE best programs to use when working with .tivo files.
If all you need to do is edit and convert .tivo files, then you only need the Plus version.
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Compare.htm

You can get a fully functional 15 day free trial if you register and request a trial key.
When the trial runs out you can still use it, but the output file is severely limited.

They also have excellent support and have their own forum where you can get more info, get support for issues, etc.

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/index.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
RojCowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynPiz View Post
Do you think VideoReDo is better than Roxio? I had so many giltches w/ Roxio that I uninstalled it a few years back. I'm afraid of it...
VideoReDo Plus is probably better than Roxio, I had (still have somewhere) Sonic's MyDVD which was slow and balky and I uninstalled it too, VDR is a lot faster, more responsive, more reliable and still very usable (IMHO) , even on my 7 year old PC (1.8 GHz AMD Athlon/2Gb RAM).

In combination with "kmttg" its part of a really nice system for downloading a batch of shows from Tivo, strip the commercials with VDR and then, optionally, encode the video into a new format for archiving or use on a different device such as a tablet, media player or smart-phone. But I digress...
Old 06-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
lpwcomp

You can convert it to mpg for free with tivodecode (included with both pyTivo and kmttg) and edit it and save as avi (amongst other formats), again for free, with vdub.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
mattack

Yeah, if you download them with kmttg or pytivo and have it decode them.. then you can edit them(*) with anything that can edit quicktime. E.g. I use MPEG Streamclip on the Mac.

(*) Well, MPEG Streamclip doesn't work for some recordings.. and I haven't seen any other of the players that work on the Mac that have even a semi-reasonable editing UI. Apparently some of those Windows apps do..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
royfernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynPiz View Post
Is there any way to convert it to an editable format and then upload?
You can try one of these free tools, Cuttermaran (not very user friendly), HDTVtoMpeg2 or Mpg2Cut2 (the interface is not great, but you can get your things done)
royfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote