TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #8521
lpwcomp

Two of the most relevant bullets from the first link are (emphasis mine in the first quote):

Quote:
If I have a CableCARD, do I still need my digital set-top box to get Digital Cable?

You may choose to use a CableCARD device instead of a Comcast digital converter or digital adapter to access Comcast’s video services. If you choose to use a CableCARD device instead of using a Comcast digital converter or digital adapter, you will only be able to receive one way digital cable channels and will not be able to receive OnDemand, pay-per-view and the interactive programming guide.
Quote:
How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?

The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD equipped televisions) is free to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (i.e., TiVo Series 3 boxes), the cost is $1.50 per month for the additional card. Again, this ONLY applies to a second CableCARD in the same device.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #8522
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Two of the most relevant bullets from the first link are (emphasis mine in the first quote):
Thanks again!
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #8523
LegacyCX

Received a call yesterday from a Comcast "Research" rep in reference to my question about the $2.50 credit. He asked me what TiVo I had, and if it was higher than the S3. Then he said he'd call me back.

So he called me back and asked me how many TVs I had in the house, and how many DTA's connected. I told him that on the third DTA, I was returning that and putting the TiVO in its place. He said that was a bad idea, and that if I returned the DTA, then my $1.50/mo. cablecard cost would go up to $9/mo.

I immediately pulled up the FCC website, and told him that was in clear violation to FCC's policies about charging any additional service. And that they already violated 1 of the policies (not allowing me to do a self-installation). Plus that they are charging me a $9.95/mo. HD Tech Fee that wasn't there last month before I added the cablecard.

He said he'll do some "research" and call me back. So he calls me back and first waives the HD Tech fee for 6 months. Then he says that he was wrong, that there shouldn't be an additional charge per month to use the cablecard, but he wasn't sure if that was possible without a code in the system (that's how it's already setup, so it obviously works). He went on to say that the $1.50/mo. I pay for the cablecard is the "service" and that there is no charge for the card. Finally, he said that the $2.50/mo. credit is only for customers who have 2 cable cards in 1 device and are getting charged for both.

Clearly, he was wrong. The cable card $1.50/mo. is NOT for "service", but for the lease of the card. Second, the $2.50/mo. credit is NOT for having 2 cable cards in the device.

I am not going to push this even further, as I don't want them to start charging me the $6-9/mo. for A/O fee that some are being charged. So my bill is $9.95/mo. HD Fee (waived for 6 months) and $1.50/mo. Cable Card fee.
LegacyCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #8524
lpwcomp

Picked up a new CableCARD(my third) yesterday at one of the local service centers. No problem. I was shocked. I'm tempted to delay installation to see if they add the ADO fee anyway. But I'm also curious to find out how smoothly the actual installation goes and of course would like to have the "new" Premiere fully functional. Decisions, decisions.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #8525
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You're pretty much guaranteed to get an A/O fee for a third card here. Best you'll be able to do (at least for me) is $0 for first card, $1.50 for second, $10 outlet for third. Minus $7.50 in credits, net of $4. I've already fought the outlet to both Comcast corporate and the FCC and this is the best they can do. I can't really complain about getting 3 cards for $4 though.

Someone else in this thread that lives up in Alpharetta (I think) reported that he wasn't getting any card charges but I don't know how many cards he has.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #8526
billbillw

Any tips on the best way to start new service with Comcast and avoid extra install fees, etc? I haven't seen any way to get cable cards with the initial order, but I've only gone through part of the process online.

I was thinking I should just sign up with an install of one TV with digital service and no HD. Then after the order is in the system, ask for self install kits for my 3 Tivos. Any ideas what works best? The house is already wired for cable to all the rooms I need.

Last edited by billbillw : 06-13-2012 at 03:07 PM.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #8527
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
Any tips on the best way to start new service with Comcast and avoid extra install fees, etc? I haven't seen any way to get cable cards with the initial order, but I've only gone through part of the process online.

I was thinking I should just sign up with an install of one TV with digital service and no HD. Then after the order is in the system, ask for self install kits for my 3 Tivos. Any ideas what works best? The house is already wired for cable to all the rooms I need.
I would not sign up via internet, or office. try to find a deal where you get a gift card or free install or something.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #8528
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, and if you want free self-install for cards you'll need to go pick them up from an office. My daughter moved into an apt. recently and specifically asked for a cable card and an HD STB (I gave her one of my old Tivo HDs) to be sent as part of the free install. All she got sent was the STB, and she had to go pick up the card - fortunately the Marietta office wasn't far for her. The reps still don't know how to mail cards for installs in other words, but they have them at the offices.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #8529
billbillw

Where might I find info on a deal with 'free install'? I looked yesterday, but couldn't find anything through google searches.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #8530
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Have to call and ask for that, they will waive fees for some packages.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #8531
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Have to call and ask for that, they will waive fees for some packages.
Sounds like CSR roulette. I've been reading some horror stories about customers being promised free installation, then receiving their 1st bill with $200 in installation fees. Sounds like I'll just have to see what happens.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #8532
morac
Cat God

Your best bet for getting a good deal when signing up is do to so at a promo event. For example when I signed up for Comcast's triple play when they were outside Best Buy I got a $75 gift card even though I already had TV & Internet with them. Baring that you can try the special signup web sites like comcastspecial.com
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #8533
cruiserandmax

Replace Comcast STB w/tivo, what change in charges should I expect in this case?

I am SO confused as to what to expect.

I currently had a Comcast HD DVR in one room, and a Comcast SD STB in another.

They currently charge me:
- Digital Starter Package, includes: Standard Cable (limited basic & expanded), on demand, digital converter & remote, if applicable.
($64.99)

- "Preffered"
($18.00)

- HD/DVR Service (includes Hd Technology Fee)
($15.95)

- Digital Additional Outlet Service (Includes Equipment)
($8.00)

TOTAL (plus tax): $114.88

I would like to replace my SD STB with a TiVo Premiere. How much should I expect to save off my existing bill? (assuming I will save something for switching from their device to my own w/cable card regardless of SD vs HD)

I have to admit as a side note- based on the current service I get (which does not include any premium channels), I feel that Comcast is financially raping me- more than any other service provider of any other service to which I subscribe.
cruiserandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #8534
morac
Cat God

If you keep Comcast's DVR, you'll only save a few dollars.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #8535
cruiserandmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
If you keep Comcast's DVR, you'll only save a few dollars.
It's all almost moot because I just upgraded the bedroom TV from an old tube Trinitron to an HD flat panel- so I 'need' and HD receiver of some kind now in that room. Since I am a TiVo Series 2 LTS I'm figuring a premiere w/$399 LTS might be a better way to go than getting a Comcast HD STB to replace the SD STB...

I dunno...
cruiserandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #8536
LegacyCX

Final update. Got my last bill:

HD Technology Fee 07/01 - 07/31 9.95
Service Discount -9.95
HD/DVR Converter 07/01 - 07/31 1.50
With Cablecard

So all I am paying is $1.50/mo. for the cablecard. No A/o fee, waived the HD Tech fee for 6 months (will remove after 6 months if I'm not using the HD channels as much).
LegacyCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #8537
moonscape

Things have surely changed with cable cards since I got mine years ago.

One of my 3 cards (have two in a Series 3) and 1 in an HD - went bad and I took it to a Comcast office to trade it out. They gave me a new one, and I came home prepared for some complication once I called in to have it activated.

I put it in the unplugged Tivo, and once it boots, write down the numbers I'll need to give Comcast. I call, and while on hold listening to how I should buy some pay-per-view event, the picture comes up. What? I haven't even talked to anyone yet. I scroll through the channels, and it's registered already!

Wow - they've come a long way in my area! Now if we'd only get some more HD channels - that part of the line-up is pathetic in Santa Cruz.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #8538
btwyx
Substantive Member

They'll activate the card on your account, so it'll work when you get home. If you have any premium channels you'll need to ring them to pair the card properly. Even if they don't add it to your account, Comcast can activate cards online.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #8539
lpwcomp

Angry

I originally intended to start this post with "Unbelievable!", but, sadly, with Comcast any reprehensible behavior is more than believable, it is to be expected.

On June 12, I went to one of the local offices and picked up a CableCARD for my recently acquired Premiere. Since both their rate sheet (I looked at one while waiting for the CSR to get the CableCARD) $0/mo for this ("The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD equipped televisions) is free to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (i.e., TiVo Series 3 boxes), the cost is $1.50 per month for the additional card. Again, this ONLY applies to a second CableCARD in the same device."), they shouldn't add anything to my bill. I just looked at my current bill. They immediately added a third "Digital Service" fee. No additional "Customer Owned Equipment Adjustment", a $5 "Change of Service" fee. It is also missing the second -$7.45 "Dae Ccard - Adjustment" they agreed to last month.

All those charges were added to my account in spite of the fact that I have yet to actually install the new CableCARD. In fact, I haven't even removed it from the packaging.

How anyone can continue to insist that Comcast is in compliance with the letter of the FCC CableCARD regulations, much less the intent, is beyond me.

One last thing: I called Comcast today to discuss this situation. I don't know why, but I agreed to the robo-survey call. While I was still on hold (at least 30min), I got notified of an incoming call. I switched to it and, you guessed it, it was the survey call. Of course, I switched back - still on hold. I waited another 15min or so and gave up. Will try again either later today or tomorrow.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #8540
ufauxreal

How difficult is it to self-install Cable Card?

I have a Series 2(I think?) HD Tivo with Lifetime Service. I do not have a cable card installed yet. How difficult is it for a relatively tech-challenged person to install one of these? I see it is now law that they must allow self-installation, but do they? Last time I inquired, about 6 mos. ago, they insisted on sending someone to install it, which I cannot allow.

Thanks.

JB
ufauxreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #8541
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufauxreal View Post
I have a Series 2(I think?) HD Tivo with Lifetime Service. I do not have a cable card installed yet. How difficult is it for a relatively tech-challenged person to install one of these? I see it is now law that they must allow self-installation, but do they? Last time I inquired, about 6 mos. ago, they insisted on sending someone to install it, which I cannot allow.

Thanks.

JB
Since this is on the Comcast CableCARD thread, I will assume that you are on Comcast. FCC regulations require them to allow self-installs of CableCARDS and have since August 8th of last year. The process is not usually as smooth as it should be since Comcast has refused to adequately train their CSRs.

What is the model # of your TiVo? If it is a Series 2, then it isn't HD nor does it support CableCARD. The other consideration is that the original Series 3 TiVo needs two CableCARDs.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #8542
ufauxreal

Quote:
Since this is on the Comcast CableCARD thread, I will assume that you are on Comcast. FCC regulations require them to allow self-installs of CableCARDS and have since August 8th of last year. The process is not usually as smooth as it should be since Comcast has refused to adequately train their CSRs.

What is the model # of your TiVo? If it is a Series 2, then it isn't HD nor does it support CableCARD. The other consideration is that the original Series 3 TiVo needs two CableCARDs.
Sorry, yes, my cable co. is Comcast. Here is my info... it is Series 3, not 2:

TCD652160

SERIES3 HD

I was told I only need one Cable Card (an M card?).
Thanks for your quick reply. I want all the info I can get before I call Comcast.

JB
Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #8543
lpwcomp

Quote:
Sorry, yes, my cable co. is Comcast. Here is my info... it is Series 3, not 2:

TCD652160

SERIES3 HD

I was told I only need one Cable Card (an M card?).
Thanks for your quick reply. I want all the info I can get before I call Comcast.

JB
Yes, an 1 m-card. They are supposed to provide an m-card unless you specifically request otherwise.

Bear in mind also that, unless this is the only "box" on you account, they will probably add a "Digital Access" or "Additional Digital Outlet" fee to your account as soon as you get the CableCARD.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #8544
Merle Corey

Quote:
How difficult is it for a relatively tech-challenged person to install one of these?
Installation is really easy. Insert Card A into Slot B, as it were.

Activation is potentially painful, but isn't tech-challenging.

If you're lucky, you'll call, read off the number sequences, they'll put them in right the first time, and things will just work. If you're unlucky, there's a lot that can go wrong - they can put in the wrong numbers, they can fail to pair it properly, the card can be faulty. For that matter, the TiVo can be faulty too, but there's not a plague of bad card readers like there are bad power supply capacitors.

My first card installation involved five calls and two cards; apparently I was on the luckier end of the spectrum. I'll be embarking on my second installation in a few weeks. There's absolutely nothing I can take from my previous experience and say "Well, at least now I know ___ for next time," except for maybe planning to do it on a day off so I can hit the Comcast office as many times as needed.

Good luck!
Merle Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #8545
ufauxreal

Quote:
Yes, an 1 m-card. They are supposed to provide an m-card unless you specifically request otherwise.

Bear in mind also that, unless this is the only "box" on you account, they will probably add a "Digital Access" or "Additional Digital Outlet" fee to your account as soon as you get the CableCARD.
This is the only 'box', hooked up to the only TV in the house. I do have a cable box they sent me which I have never used, which I will happily return to them.

Quote:
Installation is really easy. Insert Card A into Slot B, as it were.

Activation is potentially painful, but isn't tech-challenging.

If you're lucky, you'll call, read off the number sequences, they'll put them in right the first time, and things will just work. If you're unlucky, there's a lot that can go wrong - they can put in the wrong numbers, they can fail to pair it properly, the card can be faulty. For that matter, the TiVo can be faulty too, but there's not a plague of bad card readers like there are bad power supply capacitors.

My first card installation involved five calls and two cards; apparently I was on the luckier end of the spectrum. I'll be embarking on my second installation in a few weeks. There's absolutely nothing I can take from my previous experience and say "Well, at least now I know ___ for next time," except for maybe planning to do it on a day off so I can hit the Comcast office as many times as needed.

Good luck!
BIG SIGH... With my luck.... oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I will call them tomorrow and see if they will let me self install. Will they give me a specific phone number to call to activate the card?

Thanks so much to both of you for your replies.

JB
Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #8546
lpwcomp

Quote:
This is the only 'box', hooked up to the only TV in the house. I do have a cable box they sent me which I have never used, which I will happily return to them.
When you go to the local office to get the CableCARD, take the box with you. Insist on a receipt and tell them you want "Customer Owned Equipment" credit added to your account.

Quote:
BIG SIGH... With my luck.... oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I will call them tomorrow and see if they will let me self install. Will they give me a specific phone number to call to activate the card?
When I picked up my latest CableCARD, they gave me a list of phone numbers, one of which was for CableCARDs. Of course, I promptly lost it. Hopefully, when I get around to installing it, if I ever do, the # that appears on the screen will work.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #8547
Merle Corey

Quote:
Will they give me a specific phone number to call to activate the card?
Quote:
When I picked up my latest CableCARD, they gave me a list of phone numbers, one of which was for CableCARDs. Of course, I promptly lost it. Hopefully, when I get around to installing it, if I ever do, the # that appears on the screen will work.
The official Comcast CableCARD number is 877-405-2298. It's not a 24x7 number; I don't recall the exact times, but I think they open around 9am Eastern and close some time after 10pm.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #8548
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I have done two pairings in the last 6 months via that number and both times it went perfectly, first try, including premium channels. One was an SD HD Homerun Prime and the other was a Premiere. Getting ready to move one of the cards into an Elite and don't expect an issue.

Comcast is way better than it used to be for card pairing. Billing on the other hand is a whole nother nightmare, and (sometimes) a scam, but the FCC doesn't care.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #8549
jadziedzic

Don't let all the "Five years ago I tried to get a CableCARD to work with my TiVo and it was a nightmare!" stories scare you away. My three experiences with CableCARDs and Comcast spanning five+ years were for the most part not a big deal.

My most recent experience (a few months ago) with a self-install for a TiVo Premiere started with a trip to the local Comcast office to pick up a CableCARD. They handed me a folder with the card and a set of instructions, part of which were specific to TiVo. I inserted the card in my new TiVo (which took a bit more force than I expected), called the Comcast number, gave them the three sets of numbers shown on the TiVo CableCARD screen, and within a few minutes things were up and running.

Yes, the process isn't perfect, but it's come a long way from the days of TiVo #1 where the installer spent 30+ minutes on site trying to get through to the activation center.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #8550
Merle Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I have done two pairings in the last 6 months via that number and both times it went perfectly, first try, including premium channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
Don't let all the "Five years ago I tried to get a CableCARD to work with my TiVo and it was a nightmare!" stories scare you away. My three experiences with CableCARDs and Comcast spanning five+ years were for the most part not a big deal.
It's definitely a YMMV experience. To quote myself from six weeks ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle Corey View Post
Call #4, the tech read over the history, made a token effort at validating it, then suggested something was probably wrong with the card. He offered to have a truck roll, but the local office is really close - I went and swapped cards.

Plugged in the new card, prepped the numbers, and made call #5. Immediate validation, everything was working within 10 minutes. If this had happened the first time, I'd have been blissfully ignorant and thinking that such a painless process shouldn't inspire a 280+ page thread.