TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 AM   #121
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
I'm a little confused by these pause ads you speak of. When I pause a show in progress, a message shows up saying like "More about <name of show you're watching". If you press <select> a screen comes up giving you the background of the show.

Are you guys seeing ads promoting a product or something? I'm not seeing that.
That's the place holder they use for ads.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #122
tdel73

I don't mind them and if I don't like it I just hit the clear button.
tdel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #123
VancouverCanuck

Advertising is so evasive

These days, it's impossible to go anywhere without being bombarded with ads. Without even knowing it, you're being advertised to. With new technology comes news ways to advertise. In a world society built on currency, things are only going to get worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VancouverCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 AM   #124
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverCanuck View Post
These days, it's impossible to go anywhere without being bombarded with ads. Without even knowing it, you're being advertised to. With new technology comes news ways to advertise. In a world society built on currency, things are only going to get worse.
A rare, wise first posting. Welcome to TCF.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #125
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlm View Post
I did the same thing. But it traded the very annoying Pause Ads for a "bong" sound whenever Pause is pressed twice in a show. I can change Play to be "Up+Play", but it doesn't help for those in the family who press the Pause button as an Un-Pause command. While my Harmony One is a brilliant device, it isn't quite smart enough.
Hmm. I don't hear a "bong" sound. And I do not have sounds disabled.

If it bothers you, you could try programming the pause button with UP-PAUSE-DOWN. That would clear the ads after pausing, and unclear them before unpausing.
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #126
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverCanuck View Post
They will certainly get worse if nobody raises an objection. Blindly accepting them as a fact of life guarantees that they will be.

I never cease being astonished at the willingness of so many TiVo users to see this blight on the UI and say "Thank you sir, may I please have another?"

Last edited by RoyK : 05-25-2009 at 01:17 PM.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #127
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
They will certainly get worse if nobody raises an objection. Blindly accepting them as a fact of life guarantees that they will be.
Bull.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #128
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
They will certainly get worse if nobody raises an objection.
"Raising an objection" only has value and impact when Robert's Rules of Order applies. It doesn't apply to the mass-market. What matters in the mass-market is how lots and lots of people spend their money. The only significant voice is where people direct their purchases.

Quote:
Blindly accepting them as a fact of life guarantees that they will be.
There is nothing blind about accepting facts of life. Again, if you don't like the facts, then spend your money differently. Whining about something isn't the same as making responsible purchasing decisions.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #129
padman0008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
I *hate* the new pause ads.

I’m about to move on to just use the Verizon DVR.

I’ve bought the unit.

I pay for the stupid “subscription”

And now you are trying to get more money from me? By selling my menu to advertisers?

My kids are wondering what the products are. I’ve taught them to skip commercials, but now they have to be attacked by ads in the menu? I can’t even have them use the TiVo now.

Thanks for selling my kids to advertisters.

I hate TiVo.
I've had the Verizon Fios TV service for a week. Love the quality, price and channels offered. HATE THE DVR!!

It only has a 160 GB drive. Cannot be expanded and cannot have an external drive attached. Worse, it miss calculates the amount of hard disk space. 5.5 hours shows as 84% full. Verizon admits this is a firmware problem and plan to fix it "sometime."

I just ordered a TIVO HD unit with a 1 GB external drive today.
padman0008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #130
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by padman0008 View Post
I've had the Verizon Fios TV service for a week. Love the quality, price and channels offered. HATE THE DVR!!

It only has a 160 GB drive. Cannot be expanded and cannot have an external drive attached. Worse, it miss calculates the amount of hard disk space. 5.5 hours shows as 84% full. Verizon admits this is a firmware problem and plan to fix it "sometime."

I just ordered a TIVO HD unit with a 1 GB external drive today.
Welcome to the fold. You'll probably be in heaven with the TiVo DVR. Even with the annoying pause ads, it's still not as annoying as most of the Cableco DVR's. Kind of puts things in perspective.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #131
SkeeterTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
"Raising an objection" only has value and impact when Robert's Rules of Order applies. It doesn't apply to the mass-market. What matters in the mass-market is how lots and lots of people spend their money. The only significant voice is where people direct their purchases.

There is nothing blind about accepting facts of life. Again, if you don't like the facts, then spend your money differently. Whining about something isn't the same as making responsible purchasing decisions.
And if The Facts of Life are really that annoying... try Diff'rent Strokes... that Ms. Garrett really knew her way around TV.
SkeeterTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #132
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Welcome to the fold. You'll probably be in heaven with the TiVo DVR. Even with the annoying pause ads, it's still not as annoying as most of the Cableco DVR's. Kind of puts things in perspective.
Yeah, that really says a lot about a product -- it's annoying -- just not as annoying as the others......

Give it time - if TiVo has its way and keeps on increasing the ads little by little it will catch up soon enough.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #133
fallingwater

I have two S3's, one with CableCARDS, one without. Both are running Software Version 11.0c-01-2-648.

One displays the Search option when paused, the other doesn't. One connects via broadband, the other by phone. Is the broadband connection the determining factor regarding the Search option display?

I temporarily set the S3 which connects by phone to broadband. Nothing changed. Must a time interval or download take place after a broadband connection is established to enable the Search option?
fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #134
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Yeah, that really says a lot about a product -- it's annoying -- just not as annoying as the others......

Give it time - if TiVo has its way and keeps on increasing the ads little by little it will catch up soon enough.

XL4
Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #135
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Really mature post. Grow up.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #136
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Lol
Old 05-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #137
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Go ahead and get the last word in - you always do - no matter how worthless it is. I'm done arguing with you.
Quote:
Really mature post. Grow up.
Talking to yourself?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #138
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Talking to yourself?
ooh, and you got the last word currently.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #139
bicker
Gruff

I was keeping relatively quiet waiting for Roy to step in his own leavings... he typically does.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #140
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
ooh, and you got the last word currently.
Did he?
I'll take your word for it - he's on my ignore list. I've had all of his garbage I can stomach.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #141
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
One displays the Search option when paused, the other doesn't. One connects via broadband, the other by phone. Is the broadband connection the determining factor regarding the Search option display?
I believe the TiVo software will only display the "More Info" link if it detects a broadband connection. In other words, if trying to use the VOD menu item results in a message about needing broadband, then the "More Info" menu won't display.

Ads can still display though, even if you don't have a broadband connection. As long as the Showcase item exists, the ad will display.

At least the above is what happened to me when I had a Internet outage about two weeks ago.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #142
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...I've had all of my garbage I can stomach.
Well, FINALLY you said something I can agree with....

XL4
Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #143
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Well, FINALLY you said something I can agree with....
Alter my post then claim to agree with it. Really a mature thing to do. As I said above - grow up.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #144
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Did he?
I'll take your word for it - he's on my ignore list. I've had all of his garbage I can stomach.
yeah the thread is simply amusing me now
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #145
Jim_Huston

TIVO Ads

I bought the TIVO because I didn't want to watch commercials on TV. It really irritates me that TIVO is placing the ads at the bottom of the screen during pause. We should be able to toggle our settings so we don't need to watch the ads if we don't wish to.
Jim_Huston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #146
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Search for "S-P-S-Pause-S" or "SPSPS" for information on how to have the ads quickly disappear (<1 sec) when you hit pause.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #147
andyw715

I guess I don't get the whole pause ad thing, or even the dislike.
Its not like you are watching the TV while paused.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #148
Jim_Huston

"Terp" please let me know how to do it.

I did the search & came up with nothing.
Thank you.
Jim_Huston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #149
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Huston View Post
I did the search & came up with nothing.
Thank you.
Oh, what the heck...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=446351

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #150
TrooperOrange

Idea for stopping them.

So I also really dislike the ads. We do pay them monthly for a service that really should be free.

Then to layer advertising on top of that is just salt in the wound.

What I am wondering is if we can find a simple solution. The ads I am guessing are served up from different URL's or IPs as the rest of the EGP etc... so if we knew what those addresses or ranges were we could simply block them at the router.

This would presumably prevent the ads from showing, but keep everything else as normal.

This is assuming that the ads are not served from the exact same addresses that the EPG et. al. is served from.

Wonder if something like that would be feasible?
TrooperOrange is offline   Reply With Quote