TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
jdaniels1982

Exclamation New XL4 Picture Skipping Issues...

Hey Everyone,
First I just want to thank everyone on this forum for helping me over the years with my various TiVo issues. Despite all my problems I remain a loyal TiVo user and just purchased an all new Premier XL4 after my external Harddrive on my old Premier died. I decided not to replace the external drive and just upgrade to the XL4. One of the things that I never liked about the external drive extender was that whenever I had an issue with the TiVo, it was always a real pain to figure out if my issue was with the drive or the TiVo, so I just decided to get the XL4 for the gigantic hard drive.

With this new 1 week old XL4 I am noticing a random issue not occurring all the time, but does seem to come up in some of my recordings.. I am noticing the picuture sometimes pixelates or skips entirely for a second, sometimes with the audio dropping out. It's really annoying. So my question is, is this another Hard Drive issue??? Or could it be a cable card issue, as my cable card is 2.5 years old. Can a crappy cable card cause pixelation and skipping?

Please help
jdaniels1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

What are your signal levels like? There has been some discussion that the Elite/XL4's tuners are more sensitive to signal issues. The Elite/XL4's do use a different tuner manufacturer than the regular Premieres.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
jdaniels1982

I checked the signal strength on all 4 tuners...the strength varied between high 80's and low 90's. The channel I had issues with last night actually had the highest signal strength. It's a mystery...any advice?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
FeliciaCorrine

Sometimes cable card cause pixelation. You may try switching it off for sometime and then turning it on. If it doesn't solve your problem, the issue may be resolved by setting Windows Power Setting to turn off the display after 5 minutes, even though Windows isn’t capable of turning off the display this appears to tell the ATI driver to stop trying to verify the HDCP handshake. After trying these if you still have the problem you can check for more troubleshooting tips here bjdraw.com/2008/04/21/my-cablecard-tuner-is-causing-me-lots-of-grief/
FeliciaCorrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
jdaniels1982

What do u mean Windows controlling my display? We are both talking about TiVo here....right?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I think that posting was spam @FeliciaCorrine

Do you have a Tuning Adapter?
I would get a tech out to check signal levels, or if you have a cable provided STB you could connect it to the Coax and enter it's diagnostic menu to check levels. You could also be seeing excessive noise on the line coming in from the cable drop, or a bad piece of cable or a loose or corroded connection or splitter.

I don't trust the signal levels reported by the TiVo. I have no idea what they are based on, or how they are calculated. Actual signal levels are reported in dBmV.

Technically anything between -10dBmV and 10dBmV should be acceptable, but SNR (Signal-to-Noise) also has to be factored in.

IMO
-5dBmV to -3dBmV is barely acceptable
-2dBmV to 0dBmV is acceptable
0dBmV to 2dBmV is good
2dBmV to 5dBmV is great
over 5dBmV might be too hot

SNR should be greater than 30dB but 40dB would be better.
However, according to TiVo anything over 27dB is too high.

Here is a much more accurate presentation of signal levels and quality, these screen shots are from my SiliconDust. You can see as the channel frequency rises the signal levels and quality falls, I wish TiVo would provide this much information regarding levels.

Attached Images
File Type: png 147MHz.png (15.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: png 519MHz.png (15.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: png 921MHz.png (15.5 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-11-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
UCLABB

Yeah, I had a cable guy out yesterday and when I said the Tivo showed low signal strength, he just rolled his eyes and said, don't worry about what the box says, I have a meter that shows the facts. He found a piece of slightly damaged cable and played around with the main splitter outside and no more problems for now. Tivo still shows only minimal signal strength on its screen around 50-53 (it was around 40), but no tiling or loss of picture for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I think that posting was spam @FeliciaCorrine

Do you have a Tuning Adapter?
I would get a tech out to check signal levels, or if you have a cable provided STB you could connect it to the Coax and enter it's diagnostic menu to check levels. You could also be seeing excessive noise on the line coming in from the cable drop, or a bad piece of cable or a loose or corroded connection or splitter.

I don't trust the signal levels reported by the TiVo. I have no idea what they are based on, or how they are calculated. Actual signal levels are reported in dBmV.

Technically anything between -10dBmV and 10dBmV should be acceptable, but SNR (Signal-to-Noise) also has to be factored in.

IMO
-5dBmV to -3dBmV is barely acceptable
-2dBmV to 0dBmV is acceptable
0dBmV to 2dBmV is good
2dBmV to 5dBmV is great
over 5dBmV might be too hot

SNR should be greater than 30dB but 40dB would be better.
However, according to TiVo anything over 27dB is too high.

Here is a much more accurate presentation of signal levels and quality, these screen shots are from my SiliconDust. You can see as the channel frequency rises the signal levels and quality falls, I wish TiVo would provide this much information regarding levels.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I realize it is not a direct comparison, but you can get a fairly accurate snapshot of your actual signal levels by looking at your cable modem diagnostics. If you know where all your splitters are and where your cable modem sits in relation to the TiVo feed.

Most cable modem diagnostic can be found here, generally on the Signal Tab, Downstream Channel Values is what you are looking for.
http://192.168.100.1/

Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
UCLABB

-5 to -7. Looks to be at the very edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I realize it is not a direct comparison, but you can get a fairly accurate snapshot of your actual signal levels by looking at your cable modem diagnostics. If you know where all your splitters are and where your cable modem sits in relation to the TiVo feed.

Most cable modem diagnostic can be found here, generally on the Signal Tab, Downstream Channel Values is what you are looking for.
http://192.168.100.1/

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
jdaniels1982

OK so this is what I have done so far to address the issues...

1st thing I did was call TIVO, of course they said it must be a cable company issue. So the second thing I did was yank out the old cablecard and get a brand new one. Once I had the cable company bind the cablecard, I checked and discovered I was having the same issue with pixelation and occasional loss of the entire channel. (BTW the issue appears to be aggrivated when at least one of the tuners is recording on another channel...wierd).

Next, I called Cablevision after they ran their own tests, they agreed to dispatch technicians to the house to take a look. They were very nice(one of them is a new tivo owner), they actually ended up running brand new cable all the way from the pole into the tivo. Everything appeared to be great until this evening, the pixelation returned, on the same channels!

-Now I'm getting angry, I call Tivo back and tell them I have tried every possible fix through the cable company and still have the same issues (Issues BTW that HAVE NOT HAPPENED on the other 2 yr old Premier box in the house, which used to sit in the same spot hooked up to the same wire as my new XL4).
Now Tivo tells me that mabe it is the Tivo Box, particularly because I noticed the issue tends to be agrivated when recording other channels. So tomorrow I go to Best Buy to exchange for a brand new XL4.

I really thought it was a signal issue, the DVR diagnostic screen continues to show RS Uncorrected Errors in the thousands, but mabe it really is just this damn XL4 tivo box.

Has anyone heard of or noticed a similiar issue? Apoligies for the horrible spelling.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
jdaniels1982

Could it also be that this issue is unique to the XL4(elite)? What I mean is that Since the signal is being split 4 ways instead of 2, that having signal loss between the 4 tuners would be a common problem.

????
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
jdaniels1982

Hope to hear of a solution before I give up and return my Elite XL4
Old 06-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Did you ever answer whether or not you had a Tuning Adapter? If so Cisco or Motorola?

See this very long thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481894

I just purchased an Elite from Woot yesterday, I was hesitant for quite a while due to many problems reported by others. Guess I will see next week when it arrives.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
jdaniels1982

I do not use tuning adapters
Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Floridaman

I have the exact same issue on my Elite DVR and I have Verizon Fios. Picture freezes, pixellates and audio dropouts. Verizon has checked everything and the signal is excellent. My RS uncorrected errors are in the thousands as well. Tivo insists it is a signal issue. Did you get the replacement Tivo and did it resolve your problem or does it do the same thing?
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
Floridaman

Something else I just remembered is that my problems didn't start until after the recent software update that was downloaded to my box in mid May. Maybe these issues are being caused by that update. Tivo will never admit to this.
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote