TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
JerryAC

HD without paid subscription

I have an HD Tivo and a Premiere Tivo with monthly subscriptions. If I cancel the HD subscription, will I still have the capability to transfer and watch recordings made on the Premiere and transfer them wireless to the HD Tivo?

I will not need the tuner for OTA use, or the guide service on the HD. The HD is in my Office, and the Premiere is in my living room. They are both on a wireless N routed network.

Thanks
JerryAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

The TiVo needs to be on your account to be able to transfer between them. And to be on your account you need a subscription for the box.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The TiVo needs to be on your account to be able to transfer between them. And to be on your account you need a subscription for the box.
Well technically, you can cancel the subscription yet the Tivo will remain on your account, you just won't be able to do anything with it other than watch live TV or previously recorded programming.
All other features are disabled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Well technically, you can cancel the subscription yet the Tivo will remain on your account, you just won't be able to do anything with it other than watch live TV or previously recorded programming.
All other features are disabled.
If you go by that then basically most of the TiVos I've owned are still on my account. When I look at my account it shows a bunch of TiVos that I have sold and have no access to them. But since someone else has a subscription in their name now I of course have no access to do anything with them. But they do show up on my account list. And TiVo always tells me they can't be removed for some reason.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
JerryAC

Thanks for the information. Wasn't sure if it would work.

I was offered a $99 lifetime on the HD by Tivo a few months ago right after I activated my e-Bay purchased Premiere. My Premiere is grandfathered at $12.99. With MSD my HD is $9.95 / month.

I just re-subscribed to Dish network after trying to unsuccessfully tune in Fox News channel over the Roku. I just could not get on a consistent web stream for Fox News.

I do like the Tivo DVR functions much better. The OTA Tivo tuners also provide a better HD picture than the Dish.

I now have 7 DVR tuners to record on. 2 on each Tivo and 3 on the 722K Dish receiver. The extra Dish tuner is the OTA tuner.
JerryAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
lessd

Quote:
If you go by that then basically most of the TiVos I've owned are still on my account. When I look at my account it shows a bunch of TiVos that I have sold and have no access to them. But since someone else has a subscription in their name now I of course have no access to do anything with them. But they do show up on my account list. And TiVo always tells me they can't be removed for some reason.
To get the old TiVos off my account I just open another TiVo account than moved the active TiVos I had to the new account, than I changed the E-Mail and address (inc the phone number) of the old account to some garbage than changed the new account back to the way it was. Took about a day to have all the TiVos see each other on the network and you must change your media access key on any computer TiVo software you may be using. The TiVo CSR gave me no problem doing this.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
parzec
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
To get the old TiVos off my account I just open another TiVo account than moved the active TiVos I had to the new account, than I changed the E-Mail and address (inc the phone number) of the old account to some garbage than changed the new account back to the way it was. Took about a day to have all the TiVos see each other on the network and you must change your media access key on any computer TiVo software you may be using. The TiVo CSR gave me no problem doing this.
Clever work around....
HR10-250 - Un-Subbed
parzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

It sounds like a good solution except for the Media Access key changing. I already had an issue years ago when a CSR changed my MAK and I lost access to several terabytes of content on my TiVo Desktop PC. Now I have terabytes of content under the new MAK and another change would mess that content up.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
It sounds like a good solution except for the Media Access key changing. I already had an issue years ago when a CSR changed my MAK and I lost access to several terabytes of content on my TiVo Desktop PC. Now I have terabytes of content under the new MAK and another change would mess that content up.
I know no way around the MAK problem, if you know your old MAK you could just have two folders one with programs that used the old MAK and one for the new MAK, but I guess that a pain.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryAC View Post

I was offered a $99 lifetime on the HD by Tivo a few months ago right after I activated my e-Bay purchased Premiere. ...
And if you'd taken that deal you wouldn't have your current problem.

That was only 10 months of sub payments on the HD.

See if you can still get it.

You might have to threaten to cancel the HD, and you'll probably have to play CS roulette, calling back until you get someone who'll give you the deal.

Then if you get it and decide you no longer want that HD, you've increased its resale value by more than $100.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I know no way around the MAK problem, if you know your old MAK you could just have two folders one with programs that used the old MAK and one for the new MAK, but I guess that a pain.
That works with accessing it from the TiVo Desktop PC. But you can't access it from the TiVos since there is no way to temporarily change the MAK in the TiVo. The TiVo is stuck with the new MAK and can't access the content on TiVo desktop with the old one. Although you can convert it with VideoReDo so the TiVos can access it.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Although you can convert it with VideoReDo so the TiVos can access it.
There's free open source software that will do the same thing.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
That works with accessing it from the TiVo Desktop PC. But you can't access it from the TiVos since there is no way to temporarily change the MAK in the TiVo. The TiVo is stuck with the new MAK and can't access the content on TiVo desktop with the old one. Although you can convert it with VideoReDo so the TiVos can access it.
Quote:
There's free open source software that will do the same thing.
I think that kmttg can fix that issue but you might lose the meta data. I do know that I used kmttg to convert the .tivo files to straight .mpg files so that I could rename them before transferring them to a different Tivo.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I think that kmttg can fix that issue but you might lose the meta data. I do know that I used kmttg to convert the .tivo files to straight .mpg files so that I could rename them before transferring them to a different Tivo.
This is what VideoReDo does.

I'll probably end up doing this to get all the TiVos off my account. I don't think I have very many titles on my TiVo Desktop PC that I want to keep now anyway. Just the fact that I've only turned it on a few times in the last several months should be reason enough for me not to even worry about it. Most of the content I've recorded this year that I wanted to save is on my Elites and XL box. Like Chuck. I only watched the first two episodes of the final season so I plan on watching the rest of it sometime this Summer. But I need to be in the mood to watch it which I have not been all year.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Like Chuck. I only watched the first two episodes of the final season so I plan on watching the rest of it sometime this Summer. But I need to be in the mood to watch it which I have not been all year.
How can you not ever be in the mood to watch Yvonne Strzechowski?

Highslide JS

You are dead to me.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:

Highslide JS

You are dead to me.
Just saw somewhere she's going to be on Dexter.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Highslide JS

You are dead to me.
Well when you put it that way.....